External Mini recorder 4K for Sopebox - Thunderbolt 2 Case?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Marcoabu

External Mini recorder 4K for Sopebox - Thunderbolt 2 Case?

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Hey,

I have a late 2013 macbook pro that I want to use dedicated for Scopebox. The problem is that is Thunderbolt 2 only, so my solution would be buying a Decklink Mini Recorder 4k, and put in on a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure. Does anyone know it this would work? Otherwise, I would need another mac just for this.

I'm just trying to not overspend, with a new mac mini, an expensive and cumbersome Ultrastudio full of features that I don't need...

I am also assuming that the mac would handle 4K RED on Scopebox - I read somewhere that a similar specs mac mini would get the job done. But I may be wrong. Any info on that will be really appreciated.
(MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), 2GH Intel Core i7, 8gb Ram 1600 Mhz DDR 3, Graphics Intel Iris Pro, 1536.)

Thanks a lot

I would really appreciate

Marc Wielage

Re: External Mini recorder 4K for Sopebox - Thunderbolt 2 Ca

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 7:01 am

Marcoabu wrote:I have a late 2013 macbook pro that I want to use dedicated for Scopebox. The problem is that is Thunderbolt 2 only, so my solution would be buying a Decklink Mini Recorder 4k, and put in on a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure.

What makes you believe you have to have 4K scopes? I would bet you could color-correct just fine with 2K/HD scopes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Marcoabu

Re: External Mini recorder 4K for Sopebox - Thunderbolt 2 Ca

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 1:46 am

Thanks for the reply Mark. I read a lot of your comments here.

Actually, I was going for th HD version for Scopebox, but a guy at Scopebox told me a needed 4K. Bummer. I even bought a US$500,00 Epiphan av.io, to find out it didn't work with scopebox's new version. That's kind of fine (kind of!), not here to criticize anyone, and they make a hell of a good product. Mike from Scopebox was very supportive afterwards, and even told me about the possibility of using HD.

The ultra studio mini line is restricted to Thunderbolt 3, and it does not work with converters to TB 2 due to powering, I think. So it appears I am stuck with the Decklink. Best to use Hd version for less horsepower, that's good news - should work then, right?

But the other question remains: will mini recorder (HD) inside an enclosure with Thunderbolt 2 connect to my thunderbolt 2 only Macbook Pro? It appears to be a silly question, but I don't want to spend another dollar on wrong equipment. By the way, if anyone needs an epiphan 4k av.io, I'm selling cheap. ;)

Return to Post Production