Decklink Studio Playback in Premiere Pro (CS 5, 5.5, 6)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jesmo5

Decklink Studio Playback in Premiere Pro (CS 5, 5.5, 6)

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey guys,
I didn't see any posts that were relevant to this, so I hope someone has the answer.

I have a BM Decklink Studio card that I use for external playback. I've had this card for a couple of years, and used it with FCP with no problems. Last year I switched to Premiere Pro, and it has never worked properly since.
I had hoped CS 6 would solve the problem since they have changed the way PPro deals with playback using third party cards. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I have very spotty playback from any sequence in PPro - I do have it configured correctly with it set to use the Blackmagic card for video playback as well as audio playback. There are times when I will double click a clip and it will load into the source monitor, in PPro, and also load to the external playback with the BM card. Then the next clip will load into the source monitor, but not the BM playback. The same goes with sequences... sometimes it will load-up and play out through the BM card, and sometimes it won't. If I switch out of the PPro application to another application it may or may not switch back to the BM card once I return to PPro.

Just to cover the bases, I have the most recent BM drivers, and I also have the Nvidia Quadro 4000 GPU for PPro (Adobe Certified).

Here is my system configuration (just in case)

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Graphics Card:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Type: GPU