XML - Changing Source within the XML file

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eric Williamson

XML - Changing Source within the XML file

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi, all.

I am working on two separate machines:

Premiere Pro
Mac Pro
Mac OS 10.11.6
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

and

HP Z8
CentOS Linux 7
Intel Xeon Gold 5118 CPU @2.30 GHz x 48
128 GB Ram
Quadro GV100 32 GB

When I export an XML from premiere, the file path to our server starts with "/Volume/." However, for my Linux system, the path to our servers start with "/mnt/." Because of this file path difference, the XML is always offline when I import it.

I have two questions:

1) Is there an application that will allow me to change the source folder within the XML in order to go back and forth between the two systems quickly?

2) In resolve, after importing the XML, the clips in the timeline are offline, but there are no master clips in the Media Pool to relink. How do I relink the files in the timeline if there are no clips in the media pool to relink? I have the option to relink them in the popup window and I do that, however, there are alway stragglers that I can't find right away. For those clips, I have to hunt them down and manually cut them back in. Is there a better way for this that isn't "just import all your media in the project?"

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: XML - Changing Source within the XML file

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:10 pm

You can replace file paths with any text editor, but better to use one which understand xml structure, eg Notepad++ for PC or Sublime for Mac.

Eric Williamson

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks!

Why is Resolve the only NLE that will bring clips in on a timeline and not load offline media files in the Media Pool?

Peter Cave

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 11:30 pm

Eric Williamson wrote:Thanks!

Why is Resolve the only NLE that will bring clips in on a timeline and not load offline media files in the Media Pool?

It's not the only one. Final Cut Pro X does it too!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

lucyinthesky1981

XML - Changing Source within the XML file relinking issue

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi everyone.

I can't seem to find a way to change the source or to relink my media on Resolve 16 (free). We are working with 5k RED footage on FCP X (in the library, optimized and proxy created), exported the xml and imported into Resolve. It brings the timeline with all clips offline. I tried selecting them all and right-clicking and the option to relink doesn't show. I tried the smart bin and it also didn't help. I can't find in any window the option to change the source (I'm using multiple drives as we have 20TB of footage to work with). Any ideas?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 9:31 am

moved to Resolve forum for more relevant listing
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cave

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 am

I usually import all the relevant media into the Resolve Media Pool first, then import the XML and a dialog box will pop up where you can select the Media Pool bins you want the XML to link to. No need to change the path in the XML. I have found this method more reliable in linking to the Media Pool clips.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve