Manually Syncing Multiple Audio Clips in Resolve 15

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

AlexWinker

Manually Syncing Multiple Audio Clips in Resolve 15

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Maybe I am missing something obvious, and hopefully that is the case, but is it actually impossible to manually sync a video track with multiple audio files?

The audio for this production was very sloppy. They did not jam timecode, and they recorded discreet files for each mic instead of multiple track WAVs. Very frustrating, but it's what we have to work with.
I have manually synced up multiple days worth of footage and audio on a timeline. However, I am running into the issue of only being able to "link" (linking audio to video in the MEDIA page so it is actually attached to that video file with selectable mic tracks in the clip attributes, not just linking clips together on the timeline) on audio file to a video file. If I link another one, it get's rid of the previous link.
In this case there are two discreet files from 2 lavs and one stereo file from a boom or something else. . I can deal with all of this fine if it was a single multi track audio file, but does anyone have any workflows or workaround for syncing/linking multiple audio files with a video file?
Basically looking to sync by inpoints for multiple audio files, rather than just 1 audio file and one video file.

Peter Benson

Re: Manually Syncing Multiple Audio Clips in Resolve 15

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Hello there, Alex.
In manually syncing multiple audio tracks to a "master" [audio/]video track
~~~
Depending on whether or not each audio track exhibits no timecode "drift" -- nor discrepancies among them re: timecode format (for example, Non-Drop-frame vs. Drop-frame Timecode) -- compared to the video track timecode...

...You just might find it convenient and immediately gratifying to progressively work at cutting up some audio clips at strategic places, to "newly" begin syncing portions [of audio track] content with the video source's picture [and in-camera audio].

I trust this spawns some useful ideas toward attaining edit success, mate.
[Re]Pete

ResolveStudio | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2 | more...
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

AlexWinker

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Peter Benson wrote:Hello there, Alex.
In manually syncing multiple audio tracks to a "master" [audio/]video track
~~~
Depending on whether or not each audio track exhibits no timecode "drift" -- nor discrepancies among them re: timecode format (for example, Non-Drop-frame vs. Drop-frame Timecode) -- compared to the video track timecode...

...You just might find it convenient and immediately gratifying to progressively work at cutting up some audio clips at strategic places, to "newly" begin syncing portions [of audio track] content with the video source's picture [and in-camera audio].

I trust this spawns some useful ideas toward attaining edit success, mate.
[Re]Pete

I'm not quite sure I'm following you here Pete... The audio tracks don't drift from one another base on timecode, the issue is that the video timecode is totally off from the audio timecode. Yes i could cut the video and make new video clips with start timecodes that match the start timecode of the audio files, but their is no Auxiliary TC column like there is in avid so I would have to overwrite the original timecode which i envision being a big problem whenever I need to relink back to source media.
The temporary workaround I came up with was to export each day's worth of audio after it was synced up with the video on a timeline as a single multitrack .wav file, replace the discrete files in the timeline, then link by in points manually. It's a far cry from efficient, but it is functional.
If resolve is trying to take the place of premiere and avid as an editor, it definitely needs to improve its syncing functionality.

GregAusina

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 9:18 am

AlexWinker wrote:Maybe I am missing something obvious, and hopefully that is the case, but is it actually impossible to manually sync a video track with multiple audio files?

The audio for this production was very sloppy. They did not jam timecode, and they recorded discreet files for each mic instead of multiple track WAVs. Very frustrating, but it's what we have to work with.
I have manually synced up multiple days worth of footage and audio on a timeline. However, I am running into the issue of only being able to "link" (linking audio to video in the MEDIA page so it is actually attached to that video file with selectable mic tracks in the clip attributes, not just linking clips together on the timeline) on audio file to a video file. If I link another one, it get's rid of the previous link.
In this case there are two discreet files from 2 lavs and one stereo file from a boom or something else. . I can deal with all of this fine if it was a single multi track audio file, but does anyone have any workflows or workaround for syncing/linking multiple audio files with a video file?
Basically looking to sync by inpoints for multiple audio files, rather than just 1 audio file and one video file.

I'm in the same boat for today's project. I've found a handy tools to mux all the discreet tracks into one polywave: https://www.sounddevices.com/product/wave-agent/
After that the manual sync process is doable in Resolve. Actually with one track per channel it was impossible because the manual link option is only possible with one video/audio pair of files.
Grégoire AUSINA / Gisèle productions
Davinci 18.6.5 on Windows 10 / latest Nvidia studio driver / Dual Xeon E-2650v4 / supermicro X10DRG-Q / 128 Go RAM / GUI GTX 1070 / Cuda GTX 3090 - FSI CM250 - Tangent Elements - Accusys A12S3-p+

Return to Post Production