Resolve 9 Lite & early 2010 MBP w. NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Resolve 9 Lite & early 2010 MBP w. NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M?

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 am

I've been unsuccessful in getting Davinci Resolve 9 Lite to run on my pre-Thunderbolt, "early 2010" MacBook Pro 17" (2.66Ghz i7 8GB RAM) with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU, even if I set the OSX 10.8.1 ML Energy Saver control panel to disable "Automatic graphics switching".

Has anyone here gotten this exact same combination of hardware & software to work?

I just get error messages at launch, and uninstalling & reinstalling Resolve, 3 times hasn't resulted in joy.

Or am I SOL? :-)

ajm

Re: Resolve 9 Lite & early 2010 MBP w. NVIDIA GeForce GT 330

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:52 am

I have a similar PC build, Sony Viao first gen i7 8gb ram with the 330m and as long as I have nothing else open resolve runs great!

Eric Santiago

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Peter check your BMCUser post :)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Eric Santiago wrote:Peter check your BMCUser post :)

Unfortunately, BMD has asked me not to post links to BMCuser, so here's a repost of what I posted there:

Another user on BMCuser indicated he's successfully running Resolve 9 Lite on a MBP identical to mine, with the same, latest version of the CUDA drivers installed.

Unfortunately, I have the same version of Mac CUDA drivers installed (the latest version number is "5.0.24"), but even with the Energy Saver control panel set to disable "Automatic graphics switching" (so the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU is active, confirmed by "About this Mac") still no joy.

Here's the error message I get at launch:

"Attention: The CUDA driver is not installed. Please quit Resolve and ensure that the CUDA driver is installed."

Then, no matter which login I select (Admin, Guest, etc.) Resolve either hangs or crashes.

Operator error, or ?

(Is there a Resolve prefs file I can delete in case it's corrupted? Although I don't understand why running BMD's Uninstall Resolve utility doesn't clear that up ... unless the BMD uninstaller isn't very thorough ... hmm ... I'll look around for a prefs file ...)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Peter,

Just because you have the correct CUDA version installed, doesn't mean that the Mac is loading it.

Send your Mac System Profile .spx file, and a Resolve CaptureLogs .tgz file to davincihelp AT blackmagicdesign.com and we can take a look to try and determine what's going on.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on More Info and then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.

For the .tgz file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .tgz file on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

eaumen

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 pm

I am having the same issue. I have the exact same specs. Resolve was working, but now it is giving me the "No Cuda Hardware Acceleration Detected". Has anyone found a solution to this?

eaumen

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Also to clarify, I installed 5.017 cuda driver after reading that 5.024 might not be supported.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I've been unsuccessful in getting Davinci Resolve 9 Lite to run on my pre-Thunderbolt, "early 2010" MacBook Pro 17" (2.66Ghz i7 8GB RAM) with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU, even if I set the OSX 10.8.1 ML Energy Saver control panel to disable "Automatic graphics switching".

Has anyone here gotten this exact same combination of hardware & software to work?

I just get error messages at launch, and uninstalling & reinstalling Resolve, 3 times hasn't resulted in joy.

Can you make sure your Mac is booting up in 64-bit mode? This is my best guess. Please update to 10.8.2, and also update your CUDA to 5.0.24.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I've been unsuccessful in getting Davinci Resolve 9 Lite to run on my pre-Thunderbolt, "early 2010" MacBook Pro 17" (2.66Ghz i7 8GB RAM) with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU, even if I set the OSX 10.8.1 ML Energy Saver control panel to disable "Automatic graphics switching".

Can you make sure your Mac is booting up in 64-bit mode? This is my best guess. Please update to 10.8.2, and also update your CUDA to 5.0.24.

I'm sorry, I've been using Macs since 1983 (not a typo), but I don't know how to confirm if my Mac is "booting up in 64-bit mode". Please advise.

Also, according System Prefs I have CUDA 5.0.24 installed.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:41 pm

You mentioned 10.8.1. If you are definitely using Mountain Lion, it is 64 bit only, so that would not be the issue.

Click the Apple icon, select "About This Mac", select More Info, then System Report. Now look in the Extensions section in the Software area. Do you see CUDA listed there? If so, what version number does it show?

If CUDA is not shown in the Extensions area, then it is not loading at boot time. This can be caused by a permissions issue, and if you don't see CUDA in the Extensions list, then we'll continue on with the process to fix that.

It also would be helpful if you sent the info I requested a few posts back...
Dwaine Maggart

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Hi Peter,

Just because you have the correct CUDA version installed, doesn't mean that the Mac is loading it.

Send your Mac System Profile .spx file, and a Resolve CaptureLogs .tgz file to davincihelp AT blackmagicdesign.com and we can take a look to try and determine what's going on.

For the .spx file, click on the Apple icon in the upper left of the display and select "About This Mac". Then click on More Info and then System Report. In the System Information menus at the top of the display, select the File menu, then Save.

For the .tgz file, open a Finder window, and navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder and double click CaptureLogs. That will place a .tgz file on your desktop.

Hi Dwaine: Thanks for your reply. I've just now emailed those 2 files to the BMD tech support email address you specified. Cheers.

P.S.: I'm now running Mac OSX 10.8.2.
P.P.S.: "CUDA" is not listed in the Extensions section of my System Info report. But it is shown in Mac System Preferences. As a matter of habit, I always run Apple's Disk Utilities Repair Permissions after installing software, including after installing Resolve 9.0.1.

I wouldn't rule-out user error: I don't have a clue yet how to use Resolve, so I could be doing something really dumb when I first launch the app that causes it "not to run". :-)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Now that I have the files, I can see that, as I suspected, CUDA is not loading at boot time.

Since I can't attach images here, I will email you the process to fix this.
Dwaine Maggart

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Success! Thanks hugely to Dwaine in BMD tech support, after dozens of back & forth emails troubleshooting my issue over the course of several days, it ends up that the new NVIDIA CUDA 5.0.36 drivers (released over the past weekend) finally installed on my MacBook Pro 17" (early 2010 model) running Mac OS X 10.8.2 ML without errors.

More importantly, not only did CUDA install w/o errors for the first time on my machine, but I'm able to launch Davinci Resolve (including 9.0.1) w/o errors, too!

Dwaine & I tried "everything", including his instructing me how to delete CUDA manually (file by file), setting permissions manually using Terminal, my re-installing Mac OS X 10.8.2 ML, and more. Unfortunately, none of those things made any difference, because as it ended up, all along it was a problem with NVIDIA's driver!

The weird thing about this was that other users, including at least one BMD employee, were able to run the software (same Mac OS, CUDA & Resolve versions) on identical hardware.

This morning, just before I was about to pull the 3rd prty RAM out of my machine (to test if this issue was possibly caused by bad RAM hardware), Dwaine emailed me about the new CUDA 5.0.36 drivers.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

That was the solution.

I can't thank Dwaine and BMD enough for the above-and-beyond support they gave me. Now I'm finally able to begin learning how to use Resolve!

Cheers!
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric Santiago

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 5:05 pm

For the older OS such as Lion and Snow Leopard, boot up and hold the "6" and "4" keys at the same time.

Return to Post Production