Inconsistent Drop Frames in Media Express

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

DavidGray

Inconsistent Drop Frames in Media Express

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Any clue if Media Express is an issue when it comes to reporting dropped frames? I've used two different computers...iMac i7 and a new i7 PC. I'm passing video through a Teranex and one capture it'll be perfect for 45 minutes straight. Hit stop...and then it'll drop a frame after a 1-5 second capture. I've seen this on both computers using Ultraexpress Hardware, Intensity Shuttle (USB & Thunderbolt), and a Decklink Card. I've tried different cabling, etc. -- and have looked (what I feel at every option), but nothing really makes sense. I have multiple Ultraexpress devices as well as Shuttles...all exhibit the same problems...which is why I've wondered about the capturing software itself.

I just don't get any consistency at all and as I mentioned, it will quite literally do a PERFECT capture in one pass...to then drop frames immediately on another (literally back to back captures). I'm using the latest version 11.1, but honestly, I've seen this happen on so many versions that it really doesn't matter at this point. I can be capturing HD ProRes or smaller SD files...same issues over and over again. Seriously considering just getting an Atomos or something else as I'm just trying to capture simple clips.

Just curious if there are any insights out there. Thanks!

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Inconsistent Drop Frames in Media Express

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 9:08 pm

MediaExpress is quite simple and not very reliable capture tool. Any smallest problem in system= dropped frame. You may have system which is 10x overkill for the need, but you can still end up with dropped frames. I had the same and gave up with MediaExpress straight away.
You can try things like ToolsOnAir on Mac or METUS on PC. They should be way more reliable as they use proper caching.
Maybe try capturing with Resolve- not sure if this is any better than MediaExpress or not.

DavidGray

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks...I tried turning off the "stop on dropped frame" and just recorded a 45 minute piece without issue (and all looked and sounded great) -- this was after prior to doing this it would stop after 1 second of recording. I even tried different TBCs just to see if that was the issue...nothing changed other than unchecking that option...which is why I wonder too if it's not reporting properly. Regardless, thanks for the advice. I'll see about other options for capture.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Don't turn it off. You end up with many missing frames, so nothing good at all. If you want proper capture this has to be always on.
You can check it by capturing same thing twice. Then put it into NLE on top of each other (sync at beginning) and compare in random places. If you have dropped frames in 1 or another capture files will quickly go out of sync.
When you eg fan in machine goes bad and makes noise you don't "fix" it by putting on headphones :D You need to replace fan.

DavidGray

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 10:27 pm

I know what you're saying...I get it...but that was at least an option that worked to get this project done. Sync all the way through. I'm definitely looking at other capture options...because there is just no way this is right across all the different devices I have. Thanks for the insight.

Return to Post Production