Viewing 4K Footage from Camera - BMPCC 4K

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

petercrosbyshow

Viewing 4K Footage from Camera - BMPCC 4K

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Is there any way to view Raw 4k footage shot in the BMPCC4K directly out of the camera by connecting to a smart TV. I think the HDMI out from the camera cannot support 4k but the USB-C out can. I believe my 4K smart TV has a USB-C input. Can I connect my camera to the TV and then access the footage files through my TV interface?

If not, is there any other way to view the 4k footage in 4k resolution besides dumping from the camera to a computer and then connecting the computer to the TV? Is there such a thing as a 4K player device that could solve this as I'm not yet able to afford a new PC powerful enough to handle the footage and run DaVinci smoothly with raw 4k files.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Philipp Glaninger

Re: Viewing 4K Footage from Camera - BMPCC 4K

PostWed May 22, 2019 2:27 pm

You are correct. There seems to be no method to view braw 4k or braw UHD within the BMPCC 4k since the HDMI is limited to HD 4:2:2 10bit.
The USB-C Port on the other hand should not be albe to provide a suitable Video Signal that a TV can read since it is only meant to put out Data for recording.

To answer your second question:
As of today, I do not know any dedicated hardware on the market that will give you direct braw playback to a TV in 4k DCI, UltraHD. The only way is the camera itself (but limited to HD) or a Computer with Resolve or Premiere Pro plus a Videocard.

ProRes on the other hand would be possible, but that was not part of your question.

Good Luck
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Return to Post Production