Ultrastudio Mini Recorder not working w/ Thunderbolt Display

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

elieserjairo

Ultrastudio Mini Recorder not working w/ Thunderbolt Display

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 12:46 am

I am trying to use an Ultra Studio Mini Recorder plugged to an Apple Thunderbolt Display for running Ultra Scope from Divergent Media. But then I got the following problems:

1- The Thunderbolt Display outputs any audio in a interrupted way. So the audio is always cutting and being output with some hiss noise.

2 - All USB (from Thunderbolt Display) ports stop to work correctly. Everything I plug in it doesn't work well, be it an external hard drive or even a keyboard or a mouse. It take hours to copy a single 10MB file to a memory stick, for example. If I plug a keyboard in it, the keyboard fails on every key.

If I disconnect the Mini Recorder from the Thunderbolt Display, the problem stops.

The problem does not happen when the Ultrastudio is connected directly to the computer.

The computer is a Macbook Pro 17" Early 2011 2.3GHz 16GB.

I have already tested it with an iMac, the problem only happens if the Ultrastudio Mini Recorder is connected to the Thunderbolt Display.

Is anyone having the same problem?

Thanks,

Elieser

codesurgeon

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Recorder not working w/ Thunderbolt Dis

PostWed May 28, 2014 7:17 am

I have the same issue. Once I hook up an UltraStudio Mini Recorder to either my 2013 MBP via Thunderbolt (either directly or through chaining via a Thunderbolt Cinema Display), USB devices get affected:

1. my USB keyboard stops working entirely

2. mouse interaction becomes "choppy"

What's the resolution for this?

elieserjairo

PostWed May 28, 2014 3:54 pm

One question. Do you have Divergent Media Scopebox installed on your mac?

codesurgeon

PostWed May 28, 2014 6:23 pm

elieserjairo wrote:One question. Do you have Divergent Media Scopebox installed on your mac?

No, I don't.

Serge Kowalczyk

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am

Dear elieserjairo and codesurgeon,

I investigate the possibility to use the UltraStudio Mini Recorder simply to use the Apple Thunderbolt Display on a regular PC equipped only with HDMI (but no Thunderbolt): see my recent post ->
UltraStudio Mini Rec. to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display? in the section Getting Started

Would you be able (and very kind) to try and let me know if this solution works?

As I mention in the other post, I just want to use the display function (maybe having the sound, but only "nice to have"), obviously that would not be to use the hub (USB-FireWire...) behind the display.

Thank you!
Serge

Willian Aleman

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 am

codesurgeon wrote:I have the same issue. Once I hook up an UltraStudio Mini Recorder to either my 2013 MBP via Thunderbolt (either directly or through chaining via a Thunderbolt Cinema Display), USB devices get affected:

1. my USB keyboard stops working entirely

2. mouse interaction becomes "choppy"

What's the resolution for this?

I was having issues with the BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder being disconnected every three to five minutes and forcing the CPU to become overloaded, the computer super hot and all USB ports to fail.
I upgraded the Mac0S and the BMD Desktop_Video. Problem solved. Please, see below:

UltraStudio Mini Recorder and the Mini Monitor via Thunderbolt.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).
16GB RAM
2.8 GHz
MacOS 10,11.6
Pomfort - LiveGrade 3.7.2
ScopeBox 3.5.4
Flanders FSI BoxI0 via Ethernet static IP
Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_10.9.3-2
Tangent Element Kit

Note: I only use this configuration for color management and creating look on-set. For other DIT tasks I use a desktop configuration.

Hope this helps.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Return to Post Production