Ideas for best post-production

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author
Robin Erard

Ideas for best post-production

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Hello,

I was in IBC and met some people from Blackmagic, I proposed them few improvements :

- The possibility to output JPEG2000 XYZ directly from Davinci. According to the fact that the standard workflow is Grading -> DCP... Output DPX and convert them in JPEG2000 is very often a useless operation.

- The possibility to import SRT, STL, or SSA,et... to subtitle directly in Davinci. It would be very good and simple. A SRT (and others formats too) is just a Timecode information with text. Like that we could output burn-in version of the film without any other conversion.

Best

Robin

PS : sorry for my english, I normally speak french...

Ola Haldor Voll

Re: Ideas for best post-production

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Subtitles would be great!

You can render TIFF XYZ directly from Resolve. I do it all the time when I need to deliver for DCP. No color space conversion needed, so the DCP author just convert the image sequence to JPEG2000. Haven't had a complain doing it that way.

(given that you have graded data range and on a monitor/projector suited for digital cinema)

Robin Erard

Re: Ideas for best post-production

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Hello,

Yes TIff in XYZ it's good.

In my case I grade on my JVCRs35 -> then Rec709... then it would be good to be able to output : Rec709->JPEG2000 XYZ

If I don't make a mistake, it's the conversion from DPX (tiff) to JPEG2000 that is time consuming, isn't it ? The color space conversion is not time consuming... If it is, it means that output DPX RGB or Tiff XYZ is the same, no ?

Best

Robin

Return to Post Production