Rendering for DVD and Blue Ray

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Seville

Rendering for DVD and Blue Ray

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 pm

I need help, I am fairly new in this area. With friends we are planning to make a 90 minute film, our intention is to send it to the festivals and make DVD's Blue Ray, we hope, will happen. We will shoot in black magic raw constant quality for a good quality of course, after editing, color correction, sound, etc etc, how we render our work using Davinci resolve, for DVD's and to send to festivals, please advice, this is our first attempt, thank you in advance. Seville.

JPOwens

Re: Rendering for DVD and Blue Ray

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Seville wrote:how we render our work using Davinci resolve, for DVD's and to send to festivals

Not really sure about the scope of your request for assistance.

Festivals issue a "deliverable" document, usually, that outlines what form your media will be acceptable to them. This can include BluRay and DVD as you state, but also ProRes, DCP and H.264 may be among the eligible formats that a theatre will accept.

The latter three formats can be exported directly from Resolve using pre-determined Delivery options.

Resolve does not author disks. You can export the assets (picture and sound) from Resolve in Mpg and H264 formats, but usually you will require a third-party application to finalize a playable disk. Apple Compressor will do it, the now-defunct Adobe Encore was, and still remains a good choice for those who still own it, and there may be other applications that will get you where you want to go.

I have had good results exporting a high-quality, 20 or 25 Mbps BluRay-compatible H264 and then using it to generate both the HD BluRay and SD-DVD streams used to construct those releases. The trick usually is to balance the bitrate and filesize with the quality you desire.

jPo, CSI

ProBusiness Video

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 4:20 pm

I too continue to use Encore CS6. However, just recently the app crashes when I play the timeline or try to create a menu. I've gone to the Adobe forums with no luck fixing it and, of course, they no longer support it. The error details from Windows 7 show "BMDTransmit.prm" as the fault module which to me indicates a problem with the plug-in interfacing with my Decklink Extreme 4K 12G card. Premiere, After Effects, nor any of my other Adobe apps and DaVinci Resolve have this problem. I've considered uninstalling and reinstalling but the last time I did that, I got a serial number blockage from Adobe which forced me to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them to reactivate my copy (which is entirely legit). Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Adobe Encore.exe
Application Version: 6.0.2.4
Application Timestamp: 50438542
Fault Module Name: BMDTransmit.prm
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5b600e05
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000000e25b
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 667a
Additional Information 2: 667aef2fe3d42c6e736fe97fb806c823
Additional Information 3: 0fac
Additional Information 4: 0facd860afc5077131f2784ff6bb98bc

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Easy to test. Just remove this plugin file from Adobe folder. If you don't use BM card with Adobe app then delete at all.
Don't us new BM drivers for card (specially if it worked with old one) when using such a outdated and unsupported app. New drivers may be the cause of your problems.

ProBusiness Video

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks for the fast reply! That's sort of what I did and Encore works fine now. In Preferences, switched the video output to Adobe DV from BM. Can't use my 4K monitor with Decklink but you're right, going back to old drivers just for Encore isn't worth it.

Return to Post Production