Projector for Resolve Suite

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Wicus Labuschagne

Projector for Resolve Suite

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a projector to use in a grading suite.

The screen will be around 5m wide.

I've noticed a visible "split" in the RGB when you rotate your head quickly on cheaper projector models, what is this and how can I avoid purchasing a projector that creates this "split channel shutter"?

Thanks!

Ryan McNeal

Re: Projector for Resolve Suite

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 7:13 pm

A used 2K Barco off of eBay is probably your lowest cost to entry if you are looking for a professional solution. In the consumer market, I would think that LG's laser projector might be a quality option once calibrated. But again, if you are actually grading for professional use, it should be at least the 2K Barco.

Others should chime in with opinions better than mine.

roger.magnusson

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 8:30 pm

The effect you're describing sounds like the rainbow effect. It only affects single chip DLP projectors.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 10:10 am

Wicus Labuschagne wrote:Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a projector to use in a grading suite.

The screen will be around 5m wide.

I've noticed a visible "split" in the RGB when you rotate your head quickly on cheaper projector models, what is this and how can I avoid purchasing a projector that creates this "split channel shutter"?

Thanks!

You rater will be better off with grading monitor.
Projector wich calibrates and is good (as for grading ) is going be rather expensive.

There is a review for mentioned LG laser one and it's not very good wen you need accuracy (if I remember well). Laser projection is still new and there won't be anything cheap and accurate.
Also- as far as I understand if you are not delivering to cinema then grading on projector is not necessarily desired. Projection gives rather different experience.

Jasonrio

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 6:17 pm

If you want to buy a projector to use in a grading suite you should buy Anker Nebula Capsule

roger.magnusson

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 4:17 pm

How would that be suitable in a grading suite?

Ellory Yu

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 6:54 pm

Jasonrio wrote:If you want to buy a projector to use in a grading suite you should buy Anker Nebula Capsule

I'd be curious to know why you think this will make it, technically speaking here, a good grading projector too. Probably will need software like NeoDCP Player to send DCI compliant output to it. I don't know so asking.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 4:11 am

Ellory Yu wrote:'d be curious to know why you think this will make it, technically speaking here, a good grading projector too. Probably will need software like NeoDCP Player to send DCI compliant output to it. I don't know so asking.

No, with all the Christie, Barco, and Sony projectors I've used, you can directly connect HD-SDI connectors to the projector and show actual video -- whether set up for Rec709 or for DCI P3 XYZ space.

I have a bunch of free documents at this link for anybody looking for technical info on using D-Cinema projectors for final color use in post-production:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/HR5jFbe5dw
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 6:47 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:'d be curious to know why you think this will make it, technically speaking here, a good grading projector too. Probably will need software like NeoDCP Player to send DCI compliant output to it. I don't know so asking.

No, with all the Christie, Barco, and Sony projectors I've used, you can directly connect HD-SDI connectors to the projector and show actual video -- whether set up for Rec709 or for DCI P3 XYZ space.

I have a bunch of free documents at this link for anybody looking for technical info on using D-Cinema projectors for final color use in post-production:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/HR5jFbe5dw

Thanks Marc. I got it that projectors from Christie, Barco, and Sony and the leading and official sources for digital cinema projectors with all the inherent features. We used to bring our pictures to a rented cinema house to test the DCPs. We have recently bought the Neo DCP player software so we can test our DCPs without bringing it to a place than had the Barco projector. The Neo player is hooked up to a calibrated Benq monitor. The results are equally as good as the projection at the cinema, albeit it is brighter on the monitor panel, which can be adjusted. If the processing is all done on the Neo DCP software and the Nebula capsule is only to project and enlarge, then for a home based or small Post unit, this will be cheap and convenient option, don’t you think? That is what I want to understand. This option will not in any stretch of my imagination replace true DCP projectors used in the theaters.

Info on Neo DCP player can be found here... https://www.neodcp.com/

The Nebula likely may not be the suitable projector because it cannot be calibrated. However, more high end home theater projector ($1800 to sub $3000) like the Benq or Eason projectors have RGB, brightness, and contrast control and can be calibrated, support for DCI-P3 and Rec709. Something like this... https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/ci ... t3550.html ... could work?
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 4:39 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Jasonrio wrote:If you want to buy a projector to use in a grading suite you should buy Anker Nebula Capsule

I'd be curious to know why you think this will make it, technically speaking here, a good grading projector too. Probably will need software like NeoDCP Player to send DCI compliant output to it. I don't know so asking.

You don't need any DCP player if you want to use projector in a grading suite. DCP players are needed when you receive DCP package as final product and want to see it. You can still Resolve for this as well if DCP in no-protected (or with easyDCP plugin for protected ones).

For grading suite projector is the same a monitor when it comes to conenction. It will have HDMI/DP + SDI inputs (if it's a professional model), so you connect it to any video card or GPU itself.
If you use Resolve then you just connect it through BM card. Then you calibrate projector to Rec.709, P3 etc.
Whatever format you work in Resolve you set you projector to the same one.

The main issue with projector will be accuracy. If you think about monitors and distance between prosumer and professional the same applies to projectors (which are even more expensive). So finding relatively cheap projector which calibrates well is not going to be easy at all.

Mentioned BenQ is way too cheap to be anything close to reference. It's like trying to use average BenQ monitor for grading :) It all depends on project rank. You probably easily looking at 10K$+.
I would stick with good monitor though- not sure why you need projector. You either work based on wow factor with semi accurate projector or be professional and grade on less wow monitor, which is accurate.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 4:55 pm

This is a "toy" not a projector to be used as any form of reference point.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 10:17 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
You don't need any DCP player if you want to use projector in a grading suite. DCP players are needed when you receive DCP package as final product and want to see it. You can still Resolve for this as well if DCP in no-protected (or with easyDCP plugin for protected ones).

I was not thinking of projectors to be used a grading monitor but more to test DCP color rendering during finishing and delivery, and possibly as a reference for theatrical finishing and client presentation. So my response was a bit different from what the OP was asking. I would use a calibrated monitor for grading.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 10:55 pm

I still think you need something bette than mentioned BenQ.
As a player you definitely need something which is verified for handling XYZ color space. It's not rocket science, but needs to use correct math. Neo player should be fine. As I said- you can even use Resolve for this task or easyDCP player (or just easyDCP plugin for Resolve). There are also other DCP players out there: Innovative Pixel, Dolby CineAssets, MTI Film and Marquise have DCP playback, Iris QC tool, Colorfront QC Player, etc. Different price range, different capabilities. If you don't need 4K then 2K should be fairly easy. For 4K you need player with good JPEG2000 GPU decoder.

Return to Post Production