4k on a Full HD monitor?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

pepelu44

4k on a Full HD monitor?

PostFri Aug 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi I have a technical question, I have a editing workstation with a Blackmagic Deck link 4k extreme and a JVC fulhd broadcast monitor connected by a SDI cable, when I work and edit in full hd all the colors look right but when I work in 4k I can´t watch an image despite the Deck link card can fit the images to fit the monitor resolution. So what I did is to connect the Deck link card with an HDMI cable to the JVC monitor and with that I can see my 4k edit on the ful HD monitor but the colors are washed out, is there something I have to buy or do besides a 4k monitor to fix that?

Glenn Sakatch

Re: 4k on a Full HD monitor?

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 7:45 pm

are you asking if you can feed a 4k signal into your hd monitor? That is why it isn't displaying.

I'm surprised you are seeing anything at all in your second scenario.

You need to set your timeline to ouput HD if you want to feed an hd monitor.

I believe there is one of the blackmagic cards that can output both 4k and HD at the same time, but most of them are either or.

pepelu44

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 12:49 pm

I can watch 4k timeline in my HD monitor if I connect it by an HDMI cable, but the images are washed out. if I connect and SDI cable I can oly see HD timelines and the images look correct. So Im looking to find a way to output a 4k timeline to an HD monitor without loosing quality.

Glenn Sakatch

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 pm

You have to set your 4k timeline to HD to view it on an HD monitor. Why would an HD monitor display a 4k signal? (Properly)

Same as trying to view an HD signal on an SD monitor....you can't unless you downconvert.

Return to Post Production