Complete post production set for BMPC 4K Workflow

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Luctantem

Complete post production set for BMPC 4K Workflow

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm planning for BMPC4k and shoot a feature film for theatrical projection. Presently I don't own anything, So plz suggest from scratch also if possible with prices

A detailed list of set up I needed in post production for complete smooth flow of grading, editing, transfer of data and I dunno wat more involved just after I shoot, will be glad if someone throw light on it too and important crucial tips and suggestions I should keep in mind during post workflow:) .

Thanks! :)

adamroberts

Re: Complete post production set for BMPC 4K Workflow

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

You'll need:
1: Workstation with decent GPU power and a large display for your GUI. +/- £1600
2: Fast large RAID drive set-up +/- £1500
3: Monitoring card like a Decklink Extreme 4K
4: A 10bit grade reference monitor (or projector) that can display DCI-P3 colour space +/- £3000 and upward
5: A suitable room with lighting control
6: probably want a control surface for your grading software. +/- £1200
7: back-up solution

Luctantem

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 3:05 pm

adamroberts wrote:You'll need:
1: Workstation with decent GPU power and a large display for your GUI. +/- £1600

I'll go slowly talking on each point

Will 27 inch I mac work ?

Processor: 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

Memory: 8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Connections:
Four USB 3 ports
Two Thunderbolt ports
Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)

2: Fast large RAID drive set-up +/- £1500

Will this be work fine?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5184 ... aid-system

Its been quite triky to select raid , As for I see RAID10 is wat we should select, I mean I cant really select levels. I'll be happy if u can simplify. :)

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 3:50 pm

You biggest limitation with that iMac is the GPU. With just 1GB of video RAM you won't be able to grade much more that 720p in Resolve.

Editing (FCPX or Premier) should be fine but Resolve needs GPU power.

That RAID is good. I have the R6 and its fast and reliable.

Luctantem

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 6:17 pm

adamroberts wrote:You biggest limitation with that iMac is the GPU. With just 1GB of video RAM you won't be able to grade much more that 720p in Resolve.

Can you suggest workstation configurations and may I know what u use? :)

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 13, 2013 8:00 pm

If you are looking at Mac OS...

For 4K delivery you will need more than an iMac. The top of the range fully speced iMac will do for 2K deliver (even if the source is 4K).

The New Mac Pro (when it eventually ships) would be a very good choice.

I build a Hackintosh as the New Mac Pros were not even announced. Built it for less than the best iMac and it will manage 4K with relative ease.

Here us the full detail of my build and why:
http://www.adamroberts.net/blog/davinci ... sh-part-1/

Luctantem

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 9:34 am

adamroberts wrote:
I build a Hackintosh as the New Mac Pros were not even announced. Built it for less than the best iMac and it will manage 4K with relative ease.

Here us the full detail of my build and why:
http://www.adamroberts.net/blog/davinci ... sh-part-1/

Very good read adam :) I've been researching a lot on this specs to decide wat to do...

I have a few doubts, If New Mac Pro is announced before u started to build this Hackintosh, Would u have built this Hackintosh?

I mean will u favour to build new machine now as new mac pro is announced?

Thanks!

adamroberts

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 9:41 am

Even now that the Mac Pro has been announced I would still build it.

Until the New Mac Pro starts shipping in volume and all the bugs are ironed out I won't be buying one.

The New Mac Pro is also gonna be a lot more expensive than my build. In the meantime I'm able to get on with work.

If/When I do... The Hackintosh can always be converted to a Windows based system if I want.

Luctantem

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 pm

adamroberts wrote:If/When I do... The Hackintosh can always be converted to a Windows based system if I want.

Yes, and yeah only thing which trickd me is "Stability" but I'm reading in many forums and people who built Hackintosh affirming stability, what do you think of stability?

and if in case we convert to a Windows based system we are only loosing FCP ryt? I mean are there any other things we are loosing???

adamroberts

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Mine has been perfectly stable. It all comes down to the parts you select. There are some that are not as well supported. I spent a lot of time researching the parts list. So I thought it would be good to share. Use the info if you like... :-)

Creative Cloud and Resolve would work fine on Windows if I went that way. Would loose FCPX but all other utilities have counterparts on the Windows platform.

Luctantem

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Hii adam,

After hours of research and reading I feel its better to build a machine with powerful and quality hardware to meet my editing , grading , vfx and 4k work flow (My delivery will be 2k mostly)

Now as I'm doing my research I'm getting tough time selecting best hardware, I thought of taking your advice :)

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache (No doubts)

GPU

GeForce EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670 VS GeForce EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680

Can we connect 2 or 3 monitors on EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670 I got this doubt coz nvidia website says gtx680 allows multi computers nowhere GTX 670 is mentioned.

Link here : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technol ... quirements

GeForce EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 allows 3-way SLI Multi-monitor will GTX 670 allow? (the diff is around $100)

Mother board

ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM VS Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard

the price diff is about $160 and importantly Gigabyte has two thunderbolts.

32 GB Memory

You have written 2 x Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz but all links show me 4 units of 8GB each if we need 32 GB , how many did u purchase?

adamroberts

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Luctantem wrote:GPU

GeForce EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670 VS GeForce EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680

Can we connect 2 or 3 monitors on EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670 I got this doubt coz nvidia website says gtx680 allows multi computers nowhere GTX 670 is mentioned.

Link here : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technol ... quirements

GeForce EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 allows 3-way SLI Multi-monitor will GTX 670 allow? (the diff is around $100)

I'm not sure if the GTX670 will drive 3 displays. I only use one. A 27" Asus.

I then drive a grade reference display via a Thunderbolt Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor

Resolve only runs on a single display. You need an output device and broadcast display for monitoring.

I originally ordered the 680 but they were on back order. I then got a deal on the 670 that was much cheaper for only a smell performance hit. Spent the saving on more RAM.

Luctantem wrote:Mother board

ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM VS Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard

the price diff is about $160 and importantly Gigabyte has two thunderbolts.

I also looked at the Gigabyte. The problem is that Z77 motherboards are limited to just 16 PCIe lanes. The ASUS board gets around this with a chip set that does some switching. This allows you to get x16 on 2 PCIe slots.

On the Gigabyte if you install the 2 GPUs the PCIe busses drop to x8.

I've not bench tested the 2 motherboards against each other but my system reports both cards running at x16. So I'm guessing the switching that is going on is adding to the PCIe performance.

I only went for this config because I wanted Thunderbolt for my RAID and monitoring.

Luctantem wrote:32 GB Memory

You have written 2 x Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz but all links show me 4 units of 8GB each if we need 32 GB , how many did u purchase?

That is 2 x 16GB kits (2 x 8GB in each kit) so a total of 4 x 8GB = 32GB

Luctantem

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 2:42 pm

and thnx adam for above reply , I'll talk on above reply later, I think I should need more reading to understand hardware terms :)

Can you plz emphasize on UltraStudio 4K Vs DeckLink 4K Extreme ?

adamroberts

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Adding another PCIe card would slow the bus down on the GPUs on a Z77 motherboard. That's why I went for the Mini Monitor. Thunderbolt can also be moved to a New Mac Pro, iMac and MacBook Pro so it's probably a better option.

You'll only need the UltraStudio 4K if you have a 4K display. You don't need it for acquisition as you are shooting on the BMPC4K and any other camera would also be file based.

Luctantem

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm

adamroberts wrote:
You'll only need the UltraStudio 4K if you have a 4K display. You don't need it for acquisition as you are shooting on the BMPC4K and any other camera would also be file based.

1. Wat u meant by "file based"

2. So if I dont intend to buy A 10bit grade reference monitor (or projector) I dont really need UltraStudio 4K, ryt?

and is this a compulsory to have 10bit grade reference monitor, i mean avoid that and I buy 27 inch monitor and get data into comp via ssd, edit, grade and then get back final edited data another ssd/raid and give for delivery (I know I cant see final output perfectly, but the quality will be in it and will project whenever its projected on big screen.) ryt?

adamroberts

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Luctantem wrote:1. Wat u meant by "file based"

File based: The footage is a file on some sort of media. In the case of the BMPC4K its a sequence of DNG files stored on the SSD.

Tape based: Footage on a tape like DVCAM.

Luctantem wrote:2. So if I dont intend to buy A 10bit grade reference monitor (or projector) I dont really need UltraStudio 4K, ryt?

The UltraStudio is a Thunderbolt based capture and playback "break out box". It lets you capture from devices and output to monitors or recording devices.

Luctantem

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 pm

thankx a lot for above reply, can u also focus on following doubts plz.. :)

1. Is this a compulsory to have 10bit grade reference monitor?

2. Can I buy 27 inch monitor and get data into comp directly via ssd, edit, grade and then get back final edited data another ssd/raid and give for delivery?

3. I know I cant see final output perfectly, but the quality will be as it is in it ryt???

4. Will project whenever its projected on big screen. ryt?

adamroberts

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 pm

It appears you deleted a reply to the PM I sent you??? I can't post links to other forums and there are a few links that might help you. Reply to my PM and I'll pass on the links.

Luctantem wrote:thankx a lot for above reply

No problem

Luctantem wrote:1. Is this a compulsory to have 10bit grade reference monitor?

No but you can't expect to get consistent repeatable results if you don't work in a controlled calibrated environment.

Luctantem wrote:2. Can I buy 27 inch monitor and get data into comp directly via ssd, edit, grade and then get back final edited data another ssd/raid and give for delivery?

Yes you could but you would be grading on a monitor that is not calibrated for the delivery you are planning. If you are planning on delivering for cinema then you really need a monitor that can display DCI P3 colour space so that you can be sure that your colour is correct.

What a PC monitor will display is very different from what a TV or a cinema projector will display.

Luctantem wrote:3. I know I cant see final output perfectly, but the quality will be as it is in it ryt???

Um... no. As I said above what a PC monitor will display is very different from what a TV or a cinema projector will display. So you might end up thinking your image looks great and then when you see it in the cinema it looks flat or the blacks are crushed or the skintones are wrong.

Luctantem wrote:4. Will project whenever its projected on big screen. ryt?

Don't understand... and you re-phrase the question?

Luctantem

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 6:06 am

adamroberts wrote:It appears you deleted a reply to the PM I sent you??? I can't post links to other forums and there are a few links that might help you. Reply to my PM and I'll pass on the links.

Sorry I dint meant to delete it, happened in error! I sent a reply now ! thnx :)

adamroberts wrote:Don't understand... and you re-phrase the question?

I meant I cannot see the perfect 2k or 4k quality in my 27 comp monitor, but the picture quality, its strength and abilities to project in larger screen will be intact within files in it and so when I give output to theatre owners and they project it, so all the picture quality and all file strengths will be projected there without any issues. So it looks ok ! I'm not sure of it, I'm askin about it!

adamroberts

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:35 am

Yes. As long as you output the film at 2K (or even 4K) in a format that's accepted by the theatre then it will be projected just fine.

Don't be surprised if the colour and contrast looks very different from you computers GUI display tho...

Luctantem

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Which Motherboard will u prefer in this two?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V ... ifications

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMU ... ifications

If I connect thunderbolt to RAID , what if I want to connect another thunderbolt device?

and for editing do u use single monitor that asus 27 one?

adamroberts

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 pm

I went with the P8Z77-V PREMIUM. Why?? Because it offers 2 x16 slots:
4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8 or quad x8)

The MAXIMUS V EXTREME has more slots but does not do dual x16:
5 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8 or x8/x16/x8 or x8/x16/x8/x8)

I only have 2 slots in use. 2 GTX670 cards.

I edit on a single 27" ASUS display connected to 1 GPU. I monitor on an Plasma HDTV connected to a UltraStudio Mini Monitor via Thunderbolt. I then hire a 10bit grade monitor when I need it for a job. Can't afford a Flanders Scientific 10bit display yet. It will come tho...

I have my Promise Pegasus R6 RAID connected to the motherboard Thunderbolt port and my UltraStudio Mini Monitor connected to the Promise Pegasus R6 RAID. If I need to connect another Thunderbolt drive I unplug the UltraStudio Mini Monitor while I copy the data.

I transfer data from SSDs via an eSATA doc in the top of my Hackintosh case.

Oskari Mörsky

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 pm

One question. Why use 1155 motherboard? , 1150 is the newest intel prosessor socket. 1155 is "dead", intel wont release any more prosessors on it. Also 1150 is about 5-10% more powerful than 1155 clock2clock.

This is only my personal opion. :)

adamroberts

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 pm

He's building a Hackintosh. The 1155 and Z77 processor is tried and tested.

1150 and Z87 is new and while there are Hackintosh builds on that setup they have not been tried and tested yet.

Luctantem

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 am

adamroberts wrote:
I edit on a single 27" ASUS display connected to 1 GPU. I monitor on an Plasma HDTV connected to a UltraStudio Mini Monitor via Thunderbolt. I then hire a 10bit grade monitor when I need it for a job. Can't afford a Flanders Scientific 10bit display yet. It will come tho...

I have my Promise Pegasus R6 RAID connected to the motherboard Thunderbolt port and my UltraStudio Mini Monitor connected to the Promise Pegasus R6 RAID. If I need to connect another Thunderbolt drive I unplug the UltraStudio Mini Monitor while I copy the data.

I transfer data from SSDs via an eSATA doc in the top of my Hackintosh case.

1. I've read that mainboards listed as "dual x16 slots for graphics" while in reality the first slot will operate a card at x16 while the second full-sized slot will operate at x4 or x8, So the question is does this P8Z77-V PREMIUM will operate both the cards at x16 ?

2. GTX 670, It features DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, Display-Port, So

a. Can I use this two DVI ports to connect two monitors ?

b. Can I use HDMI port to reference monitor or a reference HDTV?

c. Display Port I dunno for what?

3. In Resolution & Refresh of specs its written Max Digital : 2560x1600 (Dual Link DVI Only) , what does this mean?

Thnx :)

adamroberts

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:30 am

Luctantem wrote:1. I've read that mainboards listed as "dual x16 slots for graphics" while in reality the first slot will operate a card at x16 while the second full-sized slot will operate at x4 or x8, So the question is does this P8Z77-V PREMIUM will operate both the cards at x16 ?

My system list both slots as running x16. I have no way of testing to prove otherwise. I've not tested other motherboards against this one. The info on my blog is the info I have. The system works with those part without any issues. If you wanna try a different motherboard feel free...

The fact is that Z77 motherboards only truly have 16 PCIe lanes. So any board that claims to run more is doing some kind of switching on the motherboard.

Luctantem wrote:2. GTX 670, It features DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, Display-Port, So

a. Can I use this two DVI ports to connect two monitors ?

Yes

Luctantem wrote: b. Can I use HDMI port to reference monitor or a reference HDTV?

No. The HDMI can connect to a display but it will be the GUI that is displayed on the screen. Monitoring for video is done via a dedicated monitor card like a DeckLink, Intensity Pro or UltraStudio

Luctantem wrote: c. Display Port I dunno for what?

Its another type of connection. Like DVI. Just newer. Some displays have Displayport connections. Apple's displays use Displayport Mini connections.

Luctantem wrote:3. In Resolution & Refresh of specs its written Max Digital : 2560x1600 (Dual Link DVI Only) , what does this mean?

Means that is the maximum resolution it can display. It will need a Dual Link DVI connection for that. Its a DVI cable with more pins. If your display needs a Dual Link DVI connection it will normally ship with the cable.

Luctantem

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 pm

adamroberts wrote:My system list both slots as running x16. I have no way of testing to prove otherwise. I've not tested other motherboards against this one. The info on my blog is the info I have. The system works with those part without any issues. If you wanna try a different motherboard feel free...

The fact is that Z77 motherboards only truly have 16 PCIe lanes. So any board that claims to run more is doing some kind of switching on the motherboard.

I was just doing lot of reading so somewhere tht's written, So I asked you to clear it, I almost shortlisted this, just to make more clear with you as u are using it so I asked this, Hope u dint feel otherwise :)

adamroberts wrote:
No. The HDMI can connect to a display but it will be the GUI that is displayed on the screen. Monitoring for video is done via a dedicated monitor card like a DeckLink, Intensity Pro or UltraStudio

So its technically that 3 monitors can be connected on this card, ain't it?

and yeah one more question

We just have one thunderbolt on motherboard is not at all a problem coz RAID connected to the motherboard thunderbolt port, again we are left with another free thunderbolt port since R6 raid had two Two Thunderbolt ports, so we can connect another thunderbolt device and this is called daisy chain ryt?

Looks like I'm at a point of finalizing hardware, I'll post all here once I do it :) Thank you for all help !

adamroberts

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Luctantem wrote: ... Hope u dint feel otherwise :)

Not at all. Was just being clear that I don't have all the answers. :-)

Luctantem wrote:
adamroberts wrote:No. The HDMI can connect to a display but it will be the GUI that is displayed on the screen. Monitoring for video is done via a dedicated monitor card like a DeckLink, Intensity Pro or UltraStudio

So its technically that 3 monitors can be connected on this card, ain't it?

I'm not sure. I think you can but I've only ever had 1 monitor connected.

Luctantem wrote:We just have one thunderbolt on motherboard is not at all a problem coz RAID connected to the motherboard thunderbolt port, again we are left with another free thunderbolt port since R6 raid had two Two Thunderbolt ports, so we can connect another thunderbolt device and this is called daisy chain ryt?

Correct.

Luctantem wrote:Thank you for all help !

no problem. Good luck.

Luctantem

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 6:58 pm

Do I need to buy 4 of this??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... roberts-21

and can you plz explain advantage of dual x16 as we removed MAXIMUS V EXTREME though it has more slots but does not do dual x16.

and reg ram , I need to buy this 4pack ryt?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0068Z ... cx86com-20

Thanx

adamroberts

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Luctantem wrote:Do I need to buy 4 of this??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... roberts-21

I have 2 of those. I don't then you need 4 of them and on the Z77 motherboard if you install 4 you will cause the PCIe slots to run at x4.

Luctantem wrote:and can you plz explain advantage of dual x16 as we removed MAXIMUS V EXTREME though it has more slots but does not do dual x16.

You want the fastest PCIe speed for the GPUs. In the MAXIMUS V EXTREME motherboard if you add 2 GPUs the speed of both slots drops to x8. Thats why. I've not tested this as I don't have MAXIMUS V EXTREME to compare it with. This is only based on the published spec from ASUS.

Luctantem wrote:and reg ram , I need to buy this 4pack ryt?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0068Z ... cx86com-20

Yes. Or 2 of of this pack (this is what I have):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... roberts-21

Luctantem

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 6:13 am

that means two units of GTX670 4gb cards equals to 2 x 331 = 662 GBP

and Total four units of 8Gb Ram cards equals to 2 x 101 = 202 GBP

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 6:33 am

Correct.

sulekha01

Top Astrologer

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 7:10 am

I don't have MAXIMUS V EXTREME to compare it with. This is only based on the published spec from ASUS.

Top Astrologer

Luctantem

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 9:24 am

7: back-up solution

What do you think are best back-up solutions and what are you using?

and how much will be the footage size of 150 Minutes feature film if we shoot in raw on BMPC 4k?

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Luctantem wrote:What do you think are best back-up solutions and what are you using?

Ah the pain that backing up....

Most of my projects are small (no feature films) so I tend to have 3 copies of the project while its in production. 1 copy on my RAID, 1 copy on a a fast external drive that gets updated each day and 1 USB3 drive with a back-up of all the RAW footage.

Once the project is complete a copy is made onto the USB3 drive for the client and another copy onto another USB3 drive for my archive. I then clear the RAID and external Thunderbolt drive for the next project. An spin the USB3 drive up every now and then so it stays healthy.

Bigger projects are managed by the post production house and they deal with achiving.

Ideally I'd like a tape back-up system.
Option 1: An LTO5 tape drive with Fibre connection connected via a Promise SANLink Thunderbolt to 4Gbit/s Fibre Channel Adapter
Option 2: An LTO5 tape drive with SAN connection connected via a ATTO ThunderLink SH

Luctantem wrote:and how much will be the footage size of 150 Minutes feature film if we shoot in raw on BMPC 4k?

Don't know how much space you would need. All depends on your shooting ratio (how many minutes you shoot for every minute used in the final film) and we don't yet know what size the BMPC4K RAW files will be.

Luctantem

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi adam

I'm now into a bit confused state after two latest developments.

1. BMPC 4K delay

2. BMCC EF 2.5K, $1000 Reduction.

So what do you think, Can I go for BMCC EF 2.5K and comfortably do post workflow and project on big screens (Theatrical Release) and how much I'm gonna save on new workstation capable of editing 2.5K raw?

adamroberts

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Most theatres are only projecting 2K. So the 2.5K BMCC is perfectly suited for theatrical work.

With the latest prices drop its a really good deal. I'm even considering adding an MTF version to my setup (I've had the EF version since Dec).

Add a Nikon mount Metabones SpeedBooster to the MTF version and you have a close to Super35mm camera.

Need "cinema" glass? Use Carl Zeiss CP.2 with Nikon or MFT mount. Need cine zoom? Use Angenieux Optimo zooms with Nikon mount. Need fast glass for low light? Voigtlander MFT lenses...

Lots of options.

As for the system for post. The set-up I have manages more than fine.

Luctantem

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 am

adamroberts wrote:Add a Nikon mount Metabones SpeedBooster to the MTF version and you have a close to Super35mm camera.

What to choose?

Close to super 35mm with Metabones SpeedBooster or active EF mount? What's plus and minus?

I read lot to go for EF mount coz MTF is passive and not active , what this exactly means? I read many times about this but cant understand pros and cons.

adamroberts wrote:
As for the system for post. The set-up I have manages more than fine.

I mean its costing me around 2300 GBP for machine which I specced for 4k workflow and as now I'm almost decided to get this 2.5k bmcc, So its now 2.5 K work flow , almost half, How much can I downscale my specs and how much amount can save?

adamroberts

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:30 am

Active EF mount means it controls the electronic iris of EF lenses and enable IS on lenses with IS. Only useful is you have EF lenses.

Active MFT (like on the BMPCC) means it can control the iris and OIS in MFT lenses. The BMPCC also offers autofocus on those lenses. Only useful if you have electronic MFT lenses.

Passive MFT means you can mount almost any manual lens on the camera with the correct adaptor. So you can mount manual EF mount lenses, Nikon lenses, PL, MFT, Contax, Leica... And many more.

You can now buy a BMCC EF and BMCC MFT for the same price as a BMPC4K. So get both. Then you have IS with Canon lenses and all the options on the MFT mount.

adamroberts

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:31 am

I don't know what the spec of your system is. Post it here and we can look at where you might make savings.

Luctantem

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 pm

adamroberts wrote:Active EF mount means it controls the electronic iris of EF lenses and enable IS on lenses with IS. Only useful is you have EF lenses.

Active MFT (like on the BMPCC) means it can control the iris and OIS in MFT lenses. The BMPCC also offers autofocus on those lenses. Only useful if you have electronic MFT lenses.

Passive MFT means you can mount almost any manual lens on the camera with the correct adaptor. So you can mount manual EF mount lenses, Nikon lenses, PL, MFT, Contax, Leica... And many more.

You can now buy a BMCC EF and BMCC MFT for the same price as a BMPC4K. So get both. Then you have IS with Canon lenses and all the options on the MFT mount.

1. What exactly means controlling electronic iris? (Sorry, I've read around, but not getting idea)

2. So how we control the iris , IS and focus in manual MFT lens?

3. Are manual lens used mostly in cinematography or electronic lens?

4. Are electronic MFT lenses costly or manual MFT lenses costly or electronics lens costly ?

5. Now my important question, I'm on my tight budget and important thing is I do not have any lens in my kit, I will buy new from scratch. So now which is best choice and what are negatives of that choice and how to overcome it?

adamroberts

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 9:23 am

Luctantem wrote:1. What exactly means controlling electronic iris? (Sorry, I've read around, but not getting idea)

Canon EF lenses (and many other stills lenses) have apertures that are controlled electronically by the camera. There is no physical ring to control the aperture/iris. So the camera needs compatible electronics to control the lens.

Luctantem wrote:2. So how we control the iris , IS and focus in manual MFT lens?

Manual lenses are, as the name suggests, manual. You focus by turning the focus ring, adjust the aperture by turning the aperture ring. Manual lenses don't have IS as they have no electronics.

Luctantem wrote:3. Are manual lens used mostly in cinematography or electronic lens?

True cine lenses are all manual. Arri Master Primes, Zeiss CP.2, Angenieux Optimo zooms and many more are all manual.

Luctantem wrote:4. Are electronic MFT lenses costly or manual MFT lenses costly or electronics lens costly ?

"How long is a piece of string?"

You get cheap electronic lenses and expensive electronic lenses. You get cheap manual lenses. You also get extremely expensive manual lenses.

All depends on what they are and how costly they were to develop.

Luctantem wrote:5. Now my important question, I'm on my tight budget and important thing is I do not have any lens in my kit, I will buy new from scratch. So now which is best choice and what are negatives of that choice and how to overcome it?

Personally I would look at Carl Zeiss ZF.2 (I have cine modded 25mm f2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f1.4) and hire more expensive cine lenses when needed.

On the BMCC MFT you can add a Metabones SpeedBooster and those 3 lenses become 6 lenses.

But even Carl Zeiss ZF.2 are not affordable for some.

You could look at classic 2nd hand Nikon AI or AIS lenses.

Rokinon cine lenses. They are affordable and many people rate them very highly. I've not used them but I've seen the results and they look good.

Luctantem

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 11:59 am

adamroberts wrote:
On the BMCC MFT you can add a Metabones SpeedBooster and those 3 lenses become 6 lenses.

Thanks a lot and How 3 lenses become 6 lenses. Can you plz elucidate?

and so Shall I go for BMCC MFT over EF ?? as the case is I want to make a better choice but only one cam, and only thing I'm going to loose is IS right if I go for MFT model?

And please tell me which is best of both and If there is a choice to select only one from both in a case of no lens in kitty what you would choose keeping future in mind ? :)

adamroberts

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 2:30 pm

With the MFT you can mount a Nikon lens like a 24mm f/2.8 with a simple Nikon to MFT adaptor. That would be like using a 55mm on a 5D.

If you mount that same lens to the camera with a Metabones SpeedBooster you get a lens that is x0.71 wider. So the 24mm would then look more like a 39mm on a 5D.

In effect you get 2 lenses (55 & 39 when compared to 5D Full Frame) when using the 2 adaptors (standard Nikon to MFT and Metabones SpeedBooster).

So if you had 3 lenses (24, 35, 50) you would in effect achieve 6 different field of views. Compared to a 5D you would get something like this:
39mm (24mm with SpeedBooster)
55mm (24mm without SpeedBooster)
57mm (35mm with SpeedBooster)
80mm (35mm without SpeedBooster)
82mm (50mm with SpeedBooster)
115mm (50mm without SpeedBooster)

Luctantem

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks adam, U helping a lot :)

so Shall I go for BMCC MFT over EF ?? as the case is I want to make a better choice but only one cam, and only thing I'm going to loose is IS right if I go for MFT model?

adamroberts

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 6:21 pm

That is entirely your choice. If you need IS then the EF mount is probably best. If you need to use PL lenses or the Metabones SpeedBooster then the MFT is best.

The cameras are identical except for the mount.

Luctantem

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 8:59 pm

adamroberts wrote:That is entirely your choice. If you need IS then the EF mount is probably best. If you need to use PL lenses or the Metabones SpeedBooster then the MFT is best.

The cameras are identical except for the mount.

I'm not going to use PL lenses now.

Well bmcc MFT with a shoulder rig, a Glidecam or a Steadicam and bmcc EF with a shoulder rig, a Glidecam or a Steadicam in this case , does IS on EF mount matter or both versions become same?

adamroberts

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 am

IS would be helpful on the shoulder rig to absorb the jitters that show up with rolling shutters but if you practice you handheld technique you can still get good results without IS.

I've shot from the shoulder with Zeiss 35 and 50 primes (no IS) and was able to get good footage. So it's perfectly doable.

Doyle

Marketing/Local SEO

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 pm

For small businesses, google places optimization should be the first step in your online marketing campaign. Visit SEO.com to get started with local SEO ...

Luctantem

PostTue Aug 27, 2013 8:05 am

Hi Adam,

1. Looks like I need to cut somewhere for a while. Is it fyn to buy one GPU GTX670 4GB and add 4gb gtx 670 later and 16gb ram now and add 16gb later, what am I going to compromise on? However I initially be editing on prores for a while.

have two options:

1a.

GPU GTX670 4GB
16GB ram
Promise Pegasus R4 raid (for editing)

OR

1b.

GPU GTX670 8GB
32GB ram
WD Black 4 TB HDD, 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache ( for editing )

Which option to go for?

2. And with mobo Shall I stick with Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM as I specced 2 month back or any promising latest developments you can suggest? :)

Thanks
Next

Return to Post Production