Hyperdeck and Apple ProRes media created by FFMPEG

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

iskilian

Hyperdeck and Apple ProRes media created by FFMPEG

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Has anyone been able to create Apple ProRes media to play on Hyperdeck successfully?

I am able to create media using the uncompressed V210 codec and the compressed Avid DNxHD codec with FFMPEG but cannot create proper media using FFMPEG's "prores" or FFMPEG's "prores_ks" codecs. When I create media using prores, I will see that frame split down the middle or split 2/3 from the left and the left part will be on the right and right part will be on the left.

Notes:
I notice with color bars (static picture) that the split & switch does not occur.
I am using the latest Hyperdeck software (3.8.0).
Hyperdeck will only play files tagged as high quality prores (apch).
I tried compiling FFMPEG so that all the tags would be set to "apch" (same problem with all profiles)

General FFEMPG command:
ffmpeg -y -i input.mpg -an -vcodec prores -profile:v 3 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le \
-aspect 16:9 -s 1920x1080 -r 25 output.mov

- Steve K.

Chris Lukasser

Re: Hyperdeck and Apple ProRes media created by FFMPEG

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Just to get you right:
You have trouble to get any ProRes media played by the Hyperdeck, or
only ProRes media created by FFMPEG?

I don´t use ffmpeg, but we've used the Hypereck studio for live-shows to feed the video-walls with ProRes encoded material serveral times.
Can you specify?
cheers
lu
Resolve studio 18.1.2, Minipanel, Editorkeyboard, Ultrastudio 4k, MacPro2013/128GB, MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina

iskilian

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 2:46 pm

No problem with playing ProRes content created by Hyperdeck recording or created with Final Cut Pro 7.

I can use ffmpeg's video codec copy to copy a working ProRes video to create new container (... -vcodec copy ...).

I can create new content using ffmpeg's prores codec (... -vcodec prores ...) as long as the picture is static (color bars). The Hyperdeck playout looks just fine. I don't see left and right swaps.

I cannot create proper content using ffmpeg's prores codec (... -vcodec prores ...) when the picture has movement. The Hyperdeck playout is very choppy and intermittently swaps the left and right sides about at the 1/2 or 2/3 mark. If I play the media on the PC, it looks fine.

Thanks.
- Steve K.

Radford Parker

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Did you find any resolution to this issue? I've run into the exact same problem. Here is my ffmpeg command for reference:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 1 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -s 1280x720 -r 59.94 -an output.mov

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 4:06 pm

I did produce working ProRes files for older Hyperdecks and did not have to do anything special.
Only problems I had were actually audio related.

Other than this- don't ever use -r 59.94! It's -r 60000/1001.
You can try ffmbc which had some tweaks for Hyperdeck ProRes compatibility.

Return to Post Production