How to Backup Database?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PeterMoretti

How to Backup Database?

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 pm

I can't find the command to a database in 14b5.

The manual seems to not be updated on this topic for 14.

I'm sure there is a way to create a .diskdb file in 14b5, but I've tried clicking and right clicking everywhere in the Project Window and can't seem to find the backup command.

Thanks so much for the help.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Jean Claude

Re: How to Backup Database?

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 am

Hi Peter,

- click on the top left on PROJECT
- it appears on the left a new panel (the window with all projects slides to the right)
- at the top you have the buttons to save or restore a database, etc...
- at the bottom you have a button "new database" => click on it, you will have a new dialogue window to connect or create a database.
- to create, you select an empty directory (which you will have prepared under C: \ ProgramData \ Blackmagic Design \ DaVinci Resolve \ Support \ myDB (for example)
- you give him a name and it's over when you get the confirmation.
- at the end you click on PROJECT
- the window with all projects slides to the left and occupies the entire screen
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

PeterMoretti

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Jean,

Before I try this I just want to be sure.

This procedure is functionally the same as using the Backup button at the lower left of the Database Manager window in 12.5 will create a .Diskdb file?

Sorry, I just get skittish when working with DBs in Resolve, as I've had them become unopenable.

Thanks again for your help.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

pedroconforti

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Peter, have you found a solution? I'm on the same boat. Can't find the plain simple "backup database" command on DaVinci beta 14.

The procedure Jean Claude has described seems to be the one to create a new database, not to backup an existing one.

As the manual still describes and shows pictures of versions 12.5 database manager, I am totally lost here. Is it possible or not to backup a Postgres 9.5 database on 14 beta?

Maybe it's safer to go back to local databases until the final version comes out...

John Paines

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 1:54 pm

After you have the database manager on screen (by clicking "Project" in the Project Manager, if necessary), there are two disk icons at the top of the DB manager panel. Clicking the first one allows for backing up the database, the second one for restoring it.

Note also that if you're using disk-based databases, nothing stops you from backing up the database folder manually. Just copy it to another location or disk. The backup file is, however, much smaller than an actual database folder -- apparently there's a lot of compression.

The current beta interface is missing some features, like disconnect, so I would assume it's a work in progress.

pedroconforti

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:08 pm

John Paines wrote:there are two disk icons at the top of the DB manager panel. Clicking the first one allows for backing up the database, the second one for restoring it.

Thank you! I feel so dumb. I think I've tried to click that icon with the right mouse button in my first try, and then forgot about it. Anyway, maybe this is a clue that the backup command could be more visible...

Return to DaVinci Resolve