Beta 14 b7 still has problems with Audio playback after OFX

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Suhaib Siddiqi

Beta 14 b7 still has problems with Audio playback after OFX

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Since Beta 6, if I add any third party OFX plugin from BCC, NewBlueFx or RedGiant, the Audio playback is very choppy. The problem still exists in Beta 7. Adding any OFX plugin from Boris Continuum Complete, New BlueFx, or Red Giant Universe, will make the audio playback very choppy. If I remove the OFX plugin, the audio playback is OK.

Here is dropbox link to the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/144i23womt9j5 ... 9.zip?dl=0

EDIT: The choppy audio issue after adding an OFX effects plugin is only if I playback on timeline. The rendered video audio is OK. This bug should be corrected because we I cannot test audio after an OFX effects to the clip. Rendering each time after adding an OFX is not productive.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Beta 14 b7 still has problems with Audio playback after

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Your GTX960M GPU is not a powerhouse. It's likely not powerful enough to do solid realtime playback with the OFX you are applying with whatever timeline res and frame rate you are using.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your GTX960M GPU is not a powerhouse. It's likely not powerful enough to do solid realtime playback with the OFX you are applying with whatever timeline res and frame rate you are using.

Dwaine,

Oh really??? this was powerful enough till DR 14 B5 with no issues to playback audio with same OFX effects. It is powerful enough for Vegas Pro and Adobe Premier Pro to give no problems. BUT all of a sudden since DR 14 B6 and now in B7 it become not powerful enough? Sorry, I do not believe your response. It is a bug which was introduced in DR 14 B6 and it should be fixed. GTX960M with 8 GB vRAM is only a year old model from nVidia and it is considered to be a decently powerful video card for the gamers workstations and laptops. You are declaring it not powerful enough. Do we need a video card with 40GB vRAM and a super computer from future generations to run Resolve? Please be practical!!!!

Finding excuses to shift blames is not a good strategy for any software company.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm saying your card only has 640 CUDA cores, which is not a lot.

But if you are sure the 14b5 was working better with the exact same project, then maybe something is different.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I'm saying your card only has 640 CUDA cores, which is not a lot.

But if you are sure the 14b5 was working better with the exact same project, then maybe something is different.

Yes, it was working with exactly same project till 14b5. Till 14b5 I had added upto 3 OFX effects plugins to this project and audio playback was not an issue. Since 14B6 adding even a single OFX effect from any third party vendors will give choppy audio playback. Only OFX supplied with Resolve Studio work OK. I am sure it is a bug in the Resolve 14 b7 since B6.

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Is it possible you had render cache enabled?
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Is it possible you had render cache enabled?

No, I deleted cache. In fact, as a last resort, I ran Revo Uninstaller to remove every thing, then did fresh reinstallation of DR 14 b7. The problem persists.

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 5:04 pm

I was curious if you had good performance after render cacheing the clips with OFX in the past—indeed it would be unusual to expect real time performance with the GPU you have using OFX, especially third party OFX, without render cacheing those clips first.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:I was curious if you had good performance after render cacheing the clips with OFX in the past—indeed it would be unusual to expect real time performance with the GPU you have using OFX, especially third party OFX, without render cacheing those clips first.

Dmitry

I had no problem with DR 12.5.x and DR 14.5. The problem is only choppy playback which started from DR 14.b6 if I add any third party OFX from NewBlueFX, BCC or RedGiant. However rendered clip audio plays perfectly fine in VLC, QuickTime, and Windows 10 Media Player.

Jean Claude

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Unless I'm wrong, from v14b5 to V14b6, there's a change to the database.

From memory, I exported all my projects of the B5
Installing the B6: creating a new database
After that: (we are in beta): reset all my caches.( :roll: )
And finally reimported all my .DRP.
No problem at the end.
(Of memory) :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Unless I'm wrong, from v14b5 to V14b6, there's a change to the database.

From memory, I exported all my projects of the B5
Installing the B6: creating a new database
After that: (we are in beta): reset all my caches.( :roll: )
And finally reimported all my .DRP.
No problem at the end.
(Of memory) :)

Yes there is a database. To find a solution before reporting it here, I backup the database. Used Revo Uninstaller which cleaned up (deleted all the Registry Keys, and folders, then did a fresh install and check with a small clip to see problem persists. It does!!! Therefore I am sure it is a bug which was introduced since B6.

Jean Claude

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm

In doubt: between 2 Beta version

Saving projects one by one => .DRP

Uninstall: Davinci Resolve
Uninstall: Davinci Resolve Pannels

Delete directory: C: \ ProgramData \ Blackmagic Design (which contains many parameters of a version)

Install the new version /

Warning: you must reconfigure completely Davinci Resolve (media discs, etc ...)
And finally reimport its .DRP.

It's not complicated.
(We are in Beta) :)
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:37 am

Jean Claude wrote:In doubt: between 2 Beta version

Saving projects one by one => .DRP

Uninstall: Davinci Resolve
Uninstall: Davinci Resolve Pannels

Delete directory: C: \ ProgramData \ Blackmagic Design (which contains many parameters of a version)

Install the new version /

Warning: you must reconfigure completely Davinci Resolve (media discs, etc ...)
And finally reimport its .DRP.

It's not complicated.
(We are in Beta) :)

Oh, you are teaching me to delete manually. :D Fortunately, Revo Uninstaller does all that and more. It even deletes all the registry keys corresponding to DR. ;) It leaves your computer like DR was never installed on it, absolutely clean, not even cache folder and database folder, folder in %programdata%\Blackmagicdesign etc etc

I did mention that I did clean uninstall using Revo Uninstaller.

Jean Claude

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 6:48 am

I have BCC OFX and other OFX and never had a problem. Difficult to help. sorry. ;)

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Jean Claude wrote:I have BCC OFX and other OFX and never had a problem. Difficult to help. sorry. ;)

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

The DR 14 B7 has several options under File > Project Settings > General Options removed. Upto DR 14 B5 and also DR 12.5.x, checking or unchecking some of these options under Preferences > General Options helped with choppy playback. Anyone knows why are those removed and what is the alternative?

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:46 pm

I believe I may have found a reason for choppy playback. I remember whenever I had choppy playback; I checked the option "Hide UI overlays for optimized playback" removed in B7" under Project Settings > Master Settings.

"Hide UI overlays for optimized playback" removed in B7" had been removed since DR 14 B6. Bummers!!! Is there another way to do it? I hope BM puts "Hide UI overlays for optimized playback" removed in B7" option back. It was a really useful option. I do not know understand why remove it, unless it had been moved to somewhere I cannot find.

Return to DaVinci Resolve