Resolve 14b 5.1 audio output

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ron Llear

Resolve 14b 5.1 audio output

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello I am new to Resolve and could use advice for outputting 5.1.
Movie specs:
H.264, 1920 x 1080
AAC, 48000 Hz, Stereo (L R)
FPS: 30

Output:
MBP, Black Magic Shuttle HDMI out, Denon DN 500AV HDMI in.
My understanding is I need to convert 3 stereo tracks to 6 mono with ascending outputs.
If that is correct, how does my Denon know which one is the sub. I have my Denon set to multi channel in.
Has anyone done this?

-ron llear

Mike Henricks

Re: Resolve 14b 5.1 audio output

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm

What OS?
On a Mac I've got preamps hooked up via USB and assign each channel via the sound control panel. I think I made an aggregate output using the MIDI control tool.
(focusrite now has an 8 channel via Thunderbolt that looks great for this)
MIke Henricks
mikeandmelodyfilms.com
Awakened Heart Productions

Ron Llear

Re: Resolve 14b 5.1 audio output

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks for your reply,

I am running OS X 10.12.5

I have both Focusrite and Apollo IO and have made aggregate devices with audio midi setup tool for other audio projects. Having said that my understanding was that Fairlight has the internal routing tools to take six mono audio tracks from the timeline (assuming I figure out how to separate 3 stereo tracks into 6 mono) and send 5.1 audio thru HDMI to my Denon DN-500AV pre amp which can output up to 7.1.
Just trying to wrap my head around this. Have you played back 5.1 audio with DR14? Also even if I could figure out track separation, is the Denon looking for some kind of DTS or Dolby codec before it can read multiple channels of audio? So far way more questions than answers. Thanks again for your reply. If you have a workflow idea for my system please share. Thank you

-ron llear

Return to DaVinci Resolve