"Hide UI overlays for optimized playback" removed in B7?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Under Project Settings > Master Settings > Video Monitoring used to be an option "Hide UI overlays for optimized playback". It was present till DR 14 B5. I noticed it had been removed from the Project Settings. It was a very useful option to Optimize Playback under certain situations.

Had this been really removed? Or, maybe moved somewhere else and I cannot find it? If removed, can BM put it back please.

Ilu Tedesco

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 3:42 pm

The only option coming close to the one you're missing is to me:

Resolve - Preferences - USER - UI - "minimize interface updates during playback"

In my case it helps to get fluid playbacks.

Suhaib Siddiqi

Re:

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Ilu Tedesco wrote:The only option coming close to the one you're missing is to me:

Resolve - Preferences - USER - UI - "minimize interface updates during playback"

In my case it helps to get fluid playbacks.

Thanks Ilu,

It was already checked in my case. Checking or unchecking the ""minimize interface updates during playback" does not help in my case.

In my opinion "Hide UI overlays for optimized playback" should be put back in Resolve. A lot of users used it for smoother playback.

mattwilliams2321

Re: "Hide UI overlays for optimized playback" removed in B7?

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi, I'm quite new to this, but it's driving me a bit crazy. I've installed Resolve 15 and I want to load a 3D video monitor lookup table so my reference monitor is correctly colour balanced (as per x-rite), however when I load this LUT it not only affects my reference monitor but also my monitor GUI. This is not what I want since I have already used X-Rite to ensure the colour on my monitors and in the GUI is correct, adding the same LUT that has been created for my reference monitor on top of the already corrected monitor GUI is making it wrong. I've read on other posts this should not happen, and might be corrected by unticking 'minimise interface updates during playback' but this is no longer an option in Resolve 15, and even if it were I'm not sure why that should do it. Surely adding the LUT to my reference monitor shouldn't also affect my monitor GUI? This has me really stumped, and I don't really have to buy a LUT box just to get round this issue. Am I missing something? Or does anyone have an alternative solution? Thanks,

Matt

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 am

Generally the calibrated grading monitor is the one thats used and the UI monitor has the same LUT applied to give a similar look.

However just below the selection to add the 3D lut to the video monitor, you can see the selection for the UI viewer, and can select no LUT there.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Robbin Bruzelius

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 am

Well peter, there is a bug and doesnt work as you say. It always effect both gui monitor and scopes. At least it did on beta 1 and 2. Have not tried newer versions

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 am

I tried here but im on engineering branch today.. can you confirm if its still a problem for you on b4 and which OS you are on?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

mattwilliams2321

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi, it is still the same problem on beta 4. I'm using Windows 10 (64). I'm pleased to hear it's not just me finding this issue. Hopefully if it all worked fine in Resolve 14 and it was possible to just apply a 3D LUT to the reference monitor without affecting the GUI then is should be a fairly easy fix?

Thanks,

Robbin Bruzelius

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Im also on windows 10 with a intensity 4k output card. Im not at computer for some time to come,so cant test beta4

mattwilliams2321

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 am

Just to clarify - I'm using a Decklink 4K Mini Monitor card and this is connected to my reference monitor. I want to apply a LUT in Resolve generated by my X-Rite to calibrate this reference monitor. I understand I should be able to do this by applying the LUT to the 3D LUT to the video monitor, and selecting No LUT for everything else (including no LUT for the GUI). This is what I've done, and yet any LUT I apply to the video monitor is also applied to the GUI.

I have tested the above in Resolve 15 b3 and b4 on Windows 10 (64) and I have the same issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve