Linux experiences

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Doug Marsh

Linux experiences

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Curious as to what Resolve versions (beta here in this case, but 12.5.x as well) and Distros people have gotten Resolve to work in without issues?

I tried earlier Beta (1 I think), and there was two audio issues, no audio preview on timeline and rendered audio had gaps (breaks, like a buffering issue).

I downloaded 12.5.6 and tried that. Still not able to listen to audio on timeline, but rendered output audio is fine.

I am guessing I am on an unsupported distribution (Ubuntu 16.04[.5] LTS) and only had to install libssl1 and symlink the dependent libraries (i.e. libssl.so.10 -> libssl.so.1.0.0) . Other than that, it installed fine and works fine (is happy with my GTX1080 and GTX980 machines).

I will try beta 7 at home, but at work here I tried it and see that the "Use System Audio Output" is now just grayed out (disabled) which leads me to suspect audio is still being worked on.

I am just curious as to if ANYBODY has gotten audio to work on Linux and if so, what is the combination of software and configuration they had going on?

I was considering buying the studio software and/or some hardware... I know it is possible to preview the video (and assuming audio) externally via attached hardware from BlackMagic as well. What supported hardware can one purchased to get audio working (even if it is "external" hardware from BM).

If any hardware works for monitor/preview of video/audio, which works well with Linux? Is it PCIe only or is there any USB 3.x hardware as well? I am interested in a semi portable setup. Building a luggable PC is doable at this point.

THANKS in advance to any constructive feedback.

--Doug

John Morris

Re: Linux experiences

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 2:05 pm

I had installed 14 Beta2 under Linux Mint 18.1 (based on Ubuntu 16.04) and it ran OK except for the lack of audio. However the install script for beta 8 seems quite different, much more restrictive. It checks for redhat version in /etc/redhat-release and also requires the user to be 'resolve', much like the old install script for the resolve 12.5 series.
I could fake a /etc/redhat-release file but have had little luck getting the new beta up and running so far.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2

John Morris

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:08 am

Got Beta 8 installed now. Had to look at the install script to see what was going wrong. It was trying to do a DVD install because I had a /home/resolve from an old install attempt for version 11 or 12.
NVIDIA GTX1070 8GB
NVIDIA driver version 430.50
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
32G system memory
Resolve Studio 16.1.1.005 1 GPU
Linux Mint 19.2

Doug Marsh

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 4:21 am

John Morris wrote:I had installed 14 Beta2 under Linux Mint 18.1 (based on Ubuntu 16.04) and it ran OK except for the lack of audio. However the install script for beta 8 seems quite different, much more restrictive. It checks for redhat version in /etc/redhat-release and also requires the user to be 'resolve', much like the old install script for the resolve 12.5 series.
I could fake a /etc/redhat-release file but have had little luck getting the new beta up and running so far.

Yeah I installed 8 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS but extracted the installed (--noexec --keep kind of thing) then edited the install script and modified a few sections (lib64 to lib and the check for RHEL) and it installs fine myself.

After learning that AUDIO only works with a DeckLink (and possibly an UltraStudio via TB2/3 or their PCIe card thingie for the UltraStudio Extremes)... I have been trying to research that as well.

Beta8 seems to work fairly well.. enough for me to drops some cash on setting up a new machine for a nice desktop Linux/Ubuntu solution while spying which DeckLink or possibly UltraStudio solution to purchase. I think the developers are busy changing their release process to be more rpm/deb based and not platform specific (what I was looking at for the software I downloaded for the Decklink/UltraStudio ).

The thing is I have TWO nice laptops as well and the BIOS talks about Thunderbolt (machines has USB C connector and icon that looks like the TB3 ones), it was not a selling point from the folks at System76 (One is Serval WS and other is Bonobo WS).. And if an UltraStudio one would ALSO work on those somehow... that is why I am even looking at those at this point!

Be nice to contact somebody at Blackmagic Design and work out a "borrowing" process and report back to them experiences. I have no problem being a guinea pig as long as I am not suck BUYING something that I can't use (return policies through retailers are a pain).

--Doug

Return to DaVinci Resolve