DR14.0.0B.061 crashes in preview

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Fritzer

DR14.0.0B.061 crashes in preview

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Dear experts,

Successful experiences with an extensive FHD project in DR12.5 encouraged me to go a step further and test an UHD clip with DR14.0.0B.061. This experience is not yet successful.

I get a problem which seems similar to the one reported in the posting "Crash with GT710 card". But, Resolve Preference, System, Hardware Configuration,
GPU processing mode setting from "Auto" to "OpenCL" does not abolish the crashes. The crashing remains.
To be more precise: double click the clip icon opens the clip in the preview window, but the slider marker does not wait at the clip start, it automatically performs a two-step jump, first to about the first third into the clip and then auto jumps into the second part of the clip. From there the user can take the slider marker and optionally drag it to a position from where he wants to start the preview playing. Then the user clicks the play button. Preview starts to play. At the clip's end it stutters and crashes. If not, then it crashes at the end of next loop.
I hope that there will be a more satisfying solution for my problem.

By the way, my other "Pro" NLE applications have no problem at all and perform well with this kind of Sony FDR-AX53 4K UHD footage. Editing this kind of footage never produces any crash and works fluently! Why not in DaVinci Resolve?

So, I conclude, the reason for the cashes may be related more to DR14 than to the footage and to my computer environment.

Summary:
-------
1. Specific version of Resolve: DR14.0.0B.061
2. Computer environment:
(DxDiag Report excerpts)
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170512-0600)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/29/15 16:09:48 Ver: 05.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16210MB RAM
Page File: 4277MB used, 28140MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Display Memory: 1646 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB
Shared Memory: 3753 MB

Windows Monitors (Boot sequence (left, center, right) and numbering):
Monitor 2: Philips LCD TV, used to watch how it will look on TV via HDMI
Monitor 3: EIZO ColorEdge CE240W, used for DR UI, DVI connection.
Monitor 1: Medion LCD, used for supporting text and image displays, HDMI.

3. Workflow, Screen shots and "phone" videos:
The workflow basically is: add the original UHD clip into the Media page, play this clip to its end in preview, then you will see DR14.0.0B.061 crash.

For DR and support team experts, I have documented the full details and internals of my computer environment, the crashing workflow, the original UHD clip, screenshots and "phone" videos in my Google Drive folder "DR14.0.0B.061_Test_1 JPG MKV".
If really needed, I am ready to provide the read key for accessing this Google Drive folder via PM .

I sincerely hope that DR14 will process my footage flawlessly very soon.

Thank you!

Regards,
Peter

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: DR14.0.0B.061 crashes in preview

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 am

Hi, can you try beta 8, released today.
If you still have issues, please remove all but one monitor and see if that helps. We can then start to see where the issue is.
We may need more logs with a single monitor connected.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Fritzer

Re: DR14.0.0B.061 crashes in preview

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi,
beta 8 did it! :) No crashes any more! Thanks. Awesone, quick help!

Works now with the Installation Default Settings:
Reverted changed settings back to installation default:
> DR > Preferences.., HW config, GPU processing mode > *Auto
> DR > Projecct Settings > General Options, Conform Options, * "Use Timecode Embedded in the source clip"

Remaining problem:
Loop button in Color page does not work!
Clip preview does looping even if the loop button is set to off.
(Though, Loop button is honored by preview (no looping if loop button is set to off) in Edit page and Media page.)

Now I will want to buy the DR14 Studio Version dongle like I buy a camera at Amazon.de. The Blackmagicdesign.com Where To Buy page only leads to resellers who sell to business customers and do not sell to private customers.

Thank you very much for your extremly quick and efficient solution of my problem!

Regards,
Peter
Attachments
My first beginners questions and feedback.zip
Some more feedback and questions
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve