Audio cross dissolve within Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris North

Audio cross dissolve within Fairlight

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 9:50 am

Hello,

I cannot seem to create an audio transition between 2 clips on the same track. The manual is a little vague on this - at least to me. I can drag handles to fade in/out, and (as suggested) drag one clip to overlap another but this does not create a cross dissolve - the clips simply fade in and out. Also, surely having to drag a clip to create the fade is going to knock the audio out of sync?

I'm sure there must be an easy way to do this other than going back to the Edit page and adding it there?

Davinci b14.08 on MAC.

Mike C Bonner

Re: Audio cross dissolve within Fairlight

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 11:10 am

I would like to see the ability to add a CD with a tool, similar to ProTools and the like. Hopefully that will come later.

One work around for CD in the FL page while keeping in sync is to use a "scratch track", drag one of the clips down to the scratch track, extend the ends so that it will overlap the clips on the previous track, then drag it back up into the original track. Then you can pull the fade handles and it will create a CD. However, since the last beta, you have to enable Clip Layering for this to work.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easier way to do a simple CD right now.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Chris North wrote:I cannot seem to create an audio transition between 2 clips on the same track. The manual is a little vague on this - at least to me. I can drag handles to fade in/out, and (as suggested) drag one clip to overlap another but this does not create a cross dissolve - the clips simply fade in and out.

Are you requiring a crossfade between two different clips? i.e. transition from one type of sound in to that of the next, such as ambience or transition type SFX?

In this example, two audio clips were dragged over each other with the "Show Audio Track Layers" option enabled, and the fade handles were adjusted manually on both clips.

Alternatively, if the two clips are already overlapping (and the "Show Audio Track Layers" option isn't enabled), dragging the Fade In handle of the second highlighted clip will automatically create a crossfade.

The issue here is that the crossfade is only assigned a maximum duration that matches the length of the overlap across the two clips and will not extend beyond that range.

A third option is to cut and move one audio clip over another, and then paste that clip in place, and while that does not create or display a crossfade, this method does allow one to scrub an edit in order (to some extent) get a smoother transition between two clips.

Since clips in the uppermost lane of an Audio Track Lane always take precedence (in this case the right hand side clip which is being nudged will take precedence over the clip on the left hand side).

It seems what you require is a crossfade across a specific audio edit? Unfortunately, seemingly that is currently only available on the Edit page.

The ideal of course would be to include a full featured crossfade editor in order to construct more specific fades across audio edits (paste, insert, overlay, and ripple edits) and when splitting clips, allowing crossfades to extend across any range (and not just over the range of the overlap between two clips).

The Edit page's "Audio Transitions" may be workable for quick audio edits by the picture editor as a guide, but with anything critical such as classical music edits and more complex crossfades, the "Audio Transitions" Effect isn't flexible enough for audio engineers used to a full featured and flexible crossfade editor.
Last edited by Reynaud Venter on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Chris North

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Mike C Bonner wrote:I would like to see the ability to add a CD with a tool, similar to ProTools and the like. Hopefully that will come later.

One work around for CD in the FL page while keeping in sync is to use a "scratch track", drag one of the clips down to the scratch track, extend the ends so that it will overlap the clips on the previous track, then drag it back up into the original track. Then you can pull the fade handles and it will create a CD. However, since the last beta, you have to enable Clip Layering for this to work.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easier way to do a simple CD right now.

Yep - that works. Thanks very much Mike.

A tool for this is definitely a feature I'd like to see in Fairlight too. I do a lot of music & dialogue editing and use little cross-fades all the time.

chris

Chris North

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Reynaud - I'm only just aware of the layered audio editing in Fairlight. It's a nice idea - similar to the way Sony Vegas handles it. I need to spend some more time with it now.

Mike C Bonner

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 am

Things just got better in beta 9 on the cross dissolve front.

You can now drag a clip edge over another clip and create a cross dissolve with the fader handle without loosing sync or having to drag from another track. Remember, must be in Layered Audio mode to work.

I'm pretty happy with this implementation.

drewgandy

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 11:42 pm

Mike C Bonner wrote:Things just got better in beta 9 on the cross dissolve front.
Remember, must be in Layered Audio mode to work.

How about a hint about where you turn on "Layered Audio mode"?

Charles Bennett

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:30 pm

It's in the Timeline dropdown menu.
Attachments
Layered Audio Editing.jpg
Layered Audio Editing.jpg (516.91 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve