Interesting article from a feature editor trying to Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joe Shapiro

Interesting article from a feature editor trying to Resolve

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 am

I searched the forums and didn't see any references to it so here it is. May be helpful in late tweaks to 15.

https://blog.frame.io/2017/10/30/cuttin ... i-resolve/
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Trevor Asquerthian

Re: Interesting article from a feature editor trying to Reso

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 4:12 am

Thanks - interesting read.

1. First thing she did was re-assign keyboard- so important for many editors

2. [SPOILER] it’s the trim tools that were the deal-breaker (pushing her back to PP, which has its own weaknesses in this area)

3. Good publicity to be had for your short from this kind of informative blog. Maybe someone will/has set up an FCP.co fan site for Resolve?

John Paines

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Some of the stuff she brings up has been addressed in 15 (e.g., lost alpha channels on compound clips; copy/paste timecode; next/previous clip in dynamic trim mode), some of it notes recurring irritations you never quite put your finger on ("v" selecting only the audio track of linked clips in many cases; why?-- "link"is off?), some I can't reproduce (ripple deletes unlinking clips) but the main objection is the lack of integration of dynamic trimming into the general tool set, for off-speed trims. Too many keystrokes to get in and out.

She has a point, though I wonder if she fully explored the standard trim tools from the keyboard.
Last edited by John Paines on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jason Tackaberry

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 2:31 pm

However, a frustrating downside to Cinema Viewer mode is that you can’t mark in or out points while playing. I would love to see this feature added in the future.
Now supported in 15.

In Dynamic Trim Mode, the up/down arrows don’t allow you to select the next or previous edits—meaning you have to use the mouse to change your edit selection, in a mode dedicated to keyboard trimming.
Looks fixed in 15 to me.

When you open a bin in a floating window, there’s no way to make it small enough to be useful. The “smallest” size is huge if you’re working on a single monitor.
Also fixed.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 am

Great that many of her issues are fixed!
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

John Paines

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Also, her main objection:

my impression was that it [Dynamic Trim Mode] was an unnecessarily separate, and limited working mode. I would love to see just one trim mode, where you can perform any type of trim with the JKL transport keys.

is already answered, as early as 12.x. You *can* edit dynamically at below full playback speed without going into dynamic trim mode. Play using k+j and k+l, and execute the trim with the extend shortcut ("e"). I don't think it's any more efficient in Premiere, to which she reverted.

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 pm

From her description of her prep to edit in resolve it's clear to me she tried hard to make things work. She's not a hater. Question thus becomes why couldn't she find answers to help her succeed and what if anything can be done to improve others' experience - and hers if she gives it another try.
Resolve 18.6.6

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:why couldn't she find answers to help her succeed

Time seems the most likely culprit. Had she enough to read through the full manual, trying everything she learned about as she learned it, before working on a real project, at least some of her complaints might have been addressed.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Nick Price

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 pm

I think Sofi’s main issue, that she herself pointed out, was that she was trying to force the software to behave how she wanted it to rather than to try a slightly new way of working. Which if she had carried on for the full edit she probably would have become accustomed to after a few weeks. I cut a feature doc with v14 last summer and by the end was just as quick as avid, mainly in terms of the trim issues.

It definitely helped to have more than one screen and a preview monitor too.

However I do think the trim functions in avid do affect (in a good way) the way the final edit develops, in a way that fcp and premiere with their more mouse based, fast dragging feel less hands on and intuitive, and would love to see resolve mimic avid trimming it as much as possible.

My other gripe is the audio mixer in the edit page always being in track mode, rather than clip mode. And also to be live so you can alter it as you playback. Clip mode was available during one v14 beta but hasn’t made a reappearance as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 12:12 am

You're probably right. Is that the bar that BMD wants to set for users coming from other platforms though?
Resolve 18.6.6

Jed Mitchell

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Is that the bar that BMD wants to set for users coming from other platforms though?

I've been teaching an office of editors how to use Resolve (for editing) over the past couple months, and I actually think this is a really good bar that most people in this industry just don't realize is there because they've never looked for it before.

How many other software packages actually have manuals that are a good learning resource? I'm constantly telling people who ask for tutorials / classes / etc to seriously try reading the manuals for Resolve and Fusion. There is so much well written, step-by-step content in there you really can learn most of Resolve this way.

It's easy for people to gloss over that fact when you've never seriously considered this with other tools. The Premiere manual by comparison is both pretty badly written and (because of most of their design decisions) pretty unnecessary because other than the Dynamic Link features and some of the UI layout quirks I struggle to think of anything that is significantly different from FCP7, so it's a model people have been familiar with for 2 decades and only need to Google quick answers to specific questions.

I've worked with Sofi a little bit and from what I can tell she's very good (and very technically knowledgeable) so I imagine it's like Jim said above, the few things she might have missed from the documentation probably had nothing to do with comprehension and everything to do with time.

And more importantly, some of the more esoteric features of the Trim tool aren't super intuitive even when you do understand how the work...
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 pm

John Paines wrote:Some of the stuff she brings up has been addressed in 15 (e.g. copy/paste timecode;

I still can't seem to be able to copy/paste timecode in Resolve 15. If I click on the Timecode on the Timeline it is not selected. I can't right click it to copy it. Nor can I right clip to paste. So I'm not sure what you mean by this having been addressed in 15 when I brought this up months ago about 14. So, hopefully a future beta of 15 resolves this truly.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

John Paines

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I still can't seem to be able to copy/paste timecode in Resolve 15.

Page 1-28 of the "new features" PDF. Right-click the timecode field in the viewers. It works.

As for the rest, the editor who posted these observations would seem have nothing but good will in the matter. It's just that she was overtaken by 15, which addressed a lot of her objections. The alternate dynamic trim workflow may or may not satisfy her. I rely much more on looping in real-time and trimming dynamically as it plays.

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 am

John Paines wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:I still can't seem to be able to copy/paste timecode in Resolve 15.

Page 1-28 of the "new features" PDF. Right-click the timecode field in the viewers. It works.

As for the rest, the editor who posted these observations would seem have nothing but good will in the matter. It's just that she was overtaken by 15, which addressed a lot of her objections. The alternate dynamic trim workflow may or may not satisfy her. I rely much more on looping in real-time and trimming dynamically as it plays.

Ah, that's a bit different than what I was asking for. Refer to this thread I started back here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66763

However, it seems the major aspect of copying timecode for going to that point when opening media is now possible. That's fantastic. So the only thing is really the area I would like changed is making it easier than right clicking that specific area of timecode. It's progress.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 am

Is there a keyboard-only way to copy timecode? If not I would hope that any new feature would have keyboard driven access considered from the start.
Resolve 18.6.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve