"Your GPU Memory is full" after upgrade to 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Samuel Berger

"Your GPU Memory is full" after upgrade to 15

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 4:24 pm

I was running Resolve 14 perfectly, with the exception of H.264 export, because that stopped working a couple months ago. I upgraded to 15 and now, things I did all the time with 14.3 aren't working because I get a "Your GPU Memory is full" error.

Unfortunately I upgraded the databases without backing up and now if I want to run 14.3 again I'll lose my past projects.

But ultimately it's the GPU memory being full that bothers me. DaVinci Resolve was near flawless just last week, now it's unusable. I went as far as upgrading to Windows 10, something I thought I'd never do, but that didn't fix it.

Dual AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Radeon Software Version - 18.3.4
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Memory Size - 3072 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 925 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Daz Wood

Re: "Your GPU Memory is full" after upgrade to 15

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Samuel Berger wrote:Unfortunately I upgraded the databases without backing up and now if I want to run 14.3 again I'll lose my past projects.

Not tried this but any projects in the database that haven't been saved in 15 might export and open in 14. It's worth a try.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Samuel Berger

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 7:51 pm

No, once you upgrade the DB that's it.

I've ordered a newer GPU, a GTX 1080 Ti, maybe DR will play nicer with that on there. It's still frustrating though that something just suddenly stops working.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 am

Samuel Berger wrote:I was running Resolve 14 perfectly, with the exception of H.264 export, because that stopped working a couple months ago. I upgraded to 15 and now, things I did all the time with 14.3 aren't working because I get a "Your GPU Memory is full" error.

Unfortunately I upgraded the databases without backing up and now if I want to run 14.3 again I'll lose my past projects.

But ultimately it's the GPU memory being full that bothers me. DaVinci Resolve was near flawless just last week, now it's unusable. I went as far as upgrading to Windows 10, something I thought I'd never do, but that didn't fix it.

Dual AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Radeon Software Version - 18.3.4
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Memory Size - 3072 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 925 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz

You need minimum 8 GB of vRAM, and a minimum of 16 GB vRAM if you plan to use Fusion in dR v15.

John Paines

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:You need minimum 8 GB of vRAM, and a minimum of 16 GB vRAM if you plan to use Fusion in dR v15.

Is that really the official recommendation? I doubt it, because I'm currently using a gtx card with 2GB vRAM and am editing/grading both HD and UHD material in v15 and and have never encountered a "GPU full" error message.

And no trouble opening Fusion, though I haven't tried to do much with it.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 pm

John Paines wrote:
Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:You need minimum 8 GB of vRAM, and a minimum of 16 GB vRAM if you plan to use Fusion in dR v15.

Is that really the official recommendation? I doubt it, because I'm currently using a gtx card with 2GB vRAM and am editing/grading both HD and UHD material in v15 and and have never encountered a "GPU full" error message.

And no trouble opening Fusion, though I haven't tried to do much with it.

Check the Configuration Guide, page 42, and also Release Notes for minimum system requirements. I do not believe with 2 GB vRAM you can do a serious work, except trim and render.

John Paines

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:Check the Configuration Guide, page 42, and also Release Notes for minimum system requirements. I do not believe with 2 GB vRAM you can do a serious work, except trim and render.

You can believe that, but you're wrong, particularly for HD material. Can't much speak to Fusion, however.

More to the point, I'm not sure the explanation that has been offered for the "memory full" error message is correct -- at least without knowing what the OP is trying to edit or grade. It looks to be some other issue.

Bear in mind, the GPU recommendations assume the most demanding footage, not the least.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm

John Paines wrote:
You can believe that, but you're wrong, particularly for HD material. Can't much speak to Fusion, however.

How about you argue with Blackmagic Design and its developers. If they refuse to provide support in case you run into troubles because you do not meet their minimum requirements, then you tell them your arrogant answer of being wrong. Thank you.

John Paines

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 4:54 pm

There's no need to argue with the BMD developers, because they're more than willing to address general operational issues with users of such hardware. Of course, nobody's claiming 2GB is ideal for 4K or above. But I believe you'll find any number of posts here acknowledging from that the staff that 2GB is generally adequate for HD. If pointing that out amounts to arrogance, I am guilty.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 5:01 pm

John Paines wrote:There's no need to argue with the BMD developers, because they're more than willing to address general operational issues with users of such hardware. Of course, nobody's claiming 2GB is ideal for 4K or above. But I believe you'll find any number of posts here acknowledging from that the staff that 2GB is generally adequate for HD. If pointing that out amounts to arrogance, I am guilty.

Nothing to be of guilty :-) OP does not give details as you said. I work mostly with 4K and even with HD if I add 3-4 OFX plugins from Borris Continuum, I get GPU Memory full error on one of my laptop with 8 GB of vRAM and 16 BG of RAM.

John Paines

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 pm

8GB is a lot of vram.... The "out of memory" message may not mean what it says. I have 32GB system ram, which could have something to do with my never having seeing this error message, despite pushing the limits of GPU beyond what you'd expect it to handle, including 4K raw.

Blake LaFarm

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Please do share with us precisely where Blackmagic Design documentation indicates that 16GB of Video RAM is required for using Fusion within Resolve 15. I have reviewed both the Configuration Guide and New Features Guide and can find no such assertion.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803

Sam Steti

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Hey, just my 2 cts here : I just read and thought I had to have informed that around 80% of the reasons of this message up to now have been mixed framerates on the TL... Therefore far from any matter of beefy GPU or syst requirements. You should check that...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 am

The remark about VRAM must have been a typo, since he wrote „vRAM“ twice.

The minimum recommendation for CPU RAM is 16, though.

I can confirm that „GPU full“ doesn‘t always mean what it says from other betas. When software is still under development, folks tend to resort to a final error message instead of detailed ones to avoid a complete stop when an error comes up that has not yet been thought of.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Paul R. Williams

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:23 am

I’ve noticed that reducing the number of video tracks in the timeline considerably improves performance and avoids the GPU running out of memory. Somehow this seems to apply to empty video tracks as well!
I try to consolidate the edit down to a single (at most two) video tracks before final rendering. Anything complicated (VFX) gets consolidated to a separate timeline that can be rendered out as video to be included in the final edit as a single clip.
Hope this helps.
Paul R. Williams
    BMPC4K, URSA EF 4K, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (EF/PL), BMPCC 6K Pro
    SanDisk SSDs & Lexar CFast & Samsung T5 & T7
    SmallRig rigging elements
    iMacPro (2017) 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W/32 GB/Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Martin Schitter

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm

yes -- the number of tracks, parallel nodes and operations, which need simultaneous access to a bunch of frames in temporal contexts, are the main reasons for GPU RAM bottlenecks. you should be able to work in a quite economic way, if you respect this causality.

nevertheless i would really appreciate a kind of actual GPU RAM usage display in resolve, to avoid this kind of troubles in a more controllable manner during practical work.

Alec Kinnear

PostWed May 16, 2018 5:02 pm

[quote]I’ve noticed that reducing the number of video tracks in the timeline considerably improves performance and avoids the GPU running out of memory. Somehow this seems to apply to empty video tracks as well! I try to consolidate the edit down to a single (at most two) video tracks before final rendering. Anything complicated (VFX) gets consolidated to a separate timeline that can be rendered out as video to be included in the final edit as a single clip.
Hope this helps.[/quote]

Great tip, Paul. Thank you very much. I've just gotten into some 4K with a Sony A6300 and only have a GTX980 with 4GB of memory and have had some memory issues. This should solve it.

What amazes me though is how demanding Resolve is of disk speed. Even when the original media is compressed and there's a fast scratch disk, Resolve misbehaves if the original media is not also on a really fast disk.

Uli Plank

PostWed May 16, 2018 9:33 pm

I suppose the latter has to do with access times rather than throughput.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

KevsterZA

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 2:03 pm

Hey guys. Sorry for the thread necromancy.

I am on Davinci Resolve 15 with Nvidia 1050 TI and I get the dreaded GPU Full error message regularly... but ONLY when I have nodes with de-noising activated => the "Motion Effects" tab. Otherwise everything is fine. Does anyone else experience this this error only when using de-noise settings?

The problem is that this spills over to the "Deliver" page and the message pops up even when I am rendering at the slowest settings. Surely if one is rendering very slowly this error should not occur?

Thanks
www.owlmusic.co.za
Gear: Windows 10 i7, MSI 1050 Ti GPU, 16 gig ram. Burl Audio B16

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Kevin, in this case, think of the GPU memory as a bucket full with water; walking slowly vs walking fast may impact how quickly the water spills but in both cases it will spill.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

KevsterZA

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Kevin, in this case, think of the GPU memory as a bucket full with water; walking slowly vs walking fast may impact how quickly the water spills but in both cases it will spill.

Thanks Peter, poetic but clear response :)
www.owlmusic.co.za
Gear: Windows 10 i7, MSI 1050 Ti GPU, 16 gig ram. Burl Audio B16

vigovideo

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 10:34 am

Hi all.
The only solution I have found for this problem is to reduce the resolution of the screen.
I use a Nvidia 1050ti, in an AMD Ryzen 5 2600, with a Philips 273v Full HD monitor, and I have the GPU memory problem continuously, even just when loading a project.
Reduced the resolution to 1680x1050, it is solved ... although, obviously, the experience of use with Resolve is harmed, by increasing the size of the elements on the screen.
I'm not sure who is to blame for this problem, if BMD for punishing the video card with the miniatures, if Nvidia for not making a driver / CUDA that responds to the demands, or Windows for not properly combining everything, but I think it is such an extremely frequent matter, that it needs an urgent solution.
Greetings to all.

Return to DaVinci Resolve