Audio Bitrate (No Audio)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

srdela

Audio Bitrate (No Audio)

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am

I've seen this mentioned here for the past couple of versions of Resolve but it continues to be an issue. No audio will play unless I change the bitrate of my audio hardware to match what Resolve uses. Problem with this is, that my computer doesn't like when I change the bitrate of my audio interface to anything lower than its max, thus breaking my entire system if I do. Considering the addition of Fairlight, it boggles my mind that this limitation exists.

Daz Wood

Re: Audio Bitrate (No Audio)

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 pm

srdela wrote:I've seen this mentioned here for the past couple of versions of Resolve but it continues to be an issue. No audio will play unless I change the bitrate of my audio hardware to match what Resolve uses. Problem with this is, that my computer doesn't like when I change the bitrate of my audio interface to anything lower than its max, thus breaking my entire system if I do. Considering the addition of Fairlight, it boggles my mind that this limitation exists.

Can you give us some numbers on what wasn't working and what you change to get it working.
Also what audio hardware/interface are you using?

(Bitrate) Bit Depth normally less of a problem than sample rate for having no sound in audio software.
Last edited by Daz Wood on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

srdela

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 pm

I have a Behringer UMC202HD Audio interface at 24bit, 192kHz. I've read on forums that changing it to 16bit fixes the no sound issue. I just tried this myself, and while Resolve is finally reading the audio levels (it always remained at 0db before), I still get no audio out from my speakers. I've gone into the Video and Audio I/O settings to make sure that the Output assignments were set properly, which they are now. I should also mention that these settings are not able to be changed when my audio interface is set to 24bit, 192kHz quality. Instead showing "Un-assigned" for both channels.

Peter Cave

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 6:49 am

Resolve does not support 192KHz sampling rate for monitoring playback. You should use 48KHz as this is the standard broadcast sample rate and is well supported in Resolve. Bit depth can sometimes be an issue (16bit vs 24bit vs 32 bit), but bitrate is usually irrelevant for monitoring.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 am

srdela wrote:I have a Behringer UMC202HD Audio interface at 24bit, 192kHz. I've read on forums that changing it to 16bit fixes the no sound issue. I just tried this myself, and while Resolve is finally reading the audio levels (it always remained at 0db before), I still get no audio out from my speakers. I've gone into the Video and Audio I/O settings to make sure that the Output assignments were set properly, which they are now. I should also mention that these settings are not able to be changed when my audio interface is set to 24bit, 192kHz quality. Instead showing "Un-assigned" for both channels.

This issue will be a fixed in the next v15 beta update.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

srdela

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 am

Great to hear, thank you!

Brad Hurley

PostSun May 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I have a basic question about audio bit depth:

I have a sound mixer/recorder that only records in 32-bit floating point (not the more standard 24). I can convert it to 24-bit in post before importing into Fairlight, but am wondering whether that would be necessary, or if Fairlight can handle audio files with 32-bit depth. I'm recording at 48 khz, 32-bit. And would it be a problem if some of the sound files in my project are at 32-bit and others are at 24-bit?

I can test both of these in my timeline to see for myself, but to save a bit of time I wanted to check first to see if anyone knows.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to DaVinci Resolve