1st Problem I haven't been able to work out.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Doddify

1st Problem I haven't been able to work out.

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 7:57 am

Hi everyone

OK, been getting started using Resolve 15 the last few weeks and have run into a problem that I can't resolve... I have scoured the web to look for a solution to this, but its either relatively unique to me or I don't know what I'm looking for.

I have the most basic test project to try and get to the bottom of this, just some stills and mobile phone video - so I'm not trying to work with really high quality images or anything.

The problem is when I am trying to either two pictures or two videos at the same time.
When I am trying to get two things on the screen at the same time my timeline goes blank.
The video will be displayed in the timeline so I can see what's going on until the 2nd image comes in and then the timeline just turns black - I can still hear what's going on but no image.

Is this a common problem? Any ideas how to resolve it?

In the pic, the first part plays fine, then when it gets to the bit with the inserted picture the timeline goes black - but I can still hear it and it continues to play. It actually renders fine, but this black timeline will main editing a right pain.
PicinPic.JPG
PicinPic.JPG (88.02 KiB) Viewed 647 times

mikeflstfi

Re: 1st Problem I haven't been able to work out.

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 12:55 pm

You're not alone. I have the same issue. I suspect it's my pc as I'm doing this editing on a laptop. I was hoping there was a setting somewhere that would help, but like you, I haven't found any suggested solution to this.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 2:37 am

Phone footage is notoriously problematic since they don’t hold a constant framerate.
The more professional the software the more trouble with phone footage. Transcode or use an amateur‘s software.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 6:34 am

Without system or codec details, OS or exact Resolve version we have to assume it’s the hardware config not coping with the phone video.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 am

Going back to v12.x (haven't tested it in v15), this anomaly occurred when the borders of two (or more) stacked clips were somehow in conflict . When you get the dimensions of each clip "right", they'll all appear.

EDIT: okay, performance appears to be different in 15. Change the composite mode of each of the clips to "Add" and you should be able to see each windowed clip.

Return to DaVinci Resolve