MXF Media Offline Davinci 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: MXF Media Offline Davinci 15

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 6:17 am

From your test, its clear you will need the Studio version for some files to be decoded.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Al Slamecka

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:There are many codec variants used in the MXF/QT container and we do what we can to support them. However for some of these clips, I can confirm you are going to need the Studio version if using v15. I don't expect this will change anytime soon.

Thanks Peter.

I understand supporting all variants is challenging but it's harder to understand why previously supported 8-bit MXF/QT container variants in earlier free versions of Resolve would not be supported in Resolve 15 free.

It's some consolation that the test file I sent Dwaine works in Resolve 15 Studio but I can't justify buying Studio when it will be included in the new BMPC 4K I pre-ordered. Until then (hopefully Fall as stated at NAB), I'm back to FCP which natively supports the JVC LS-300 without conversion to MXF.

Guessing it's too much to ask for native support for the LS-300 for the same reasons you mentioned :)

Mark Weiss

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 pm

I have the same problem with consumer camera files, such as UHD 24fps footage from a Sony RX10 MkIII and a DJI Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 drone. Both files are 8-bit. All the consumer media I've tried to load shows as "offline".

No problems with 10-bit XAVC and Prores from my Sony FS7's and Shogun Inferno recorders.

Seems that DaVinci only supports Hollywood movie studio formats.

Uli Plank

PostSun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 am

Even in high-end formats, for at least twenty years I've seen camera manufacturers shelling out new formats faster than NLEs can implement them. Sony, Canon and Panasonic are trying hard to develop something new, different and consequently incompatible. Drone makers are even worse.

Somebody remember how long it took Avid to implement some widely used camera formats?
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve