Copying Merge Nodes Broken?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RedOrchid

Copying Merge Nodes Broken?

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 pm

I don't know if I would technically call this a bug... but I found something that seems to be broken in the workflow in the Fusion Page in Resolve.

If you copy and paste a node tree from one comp to another it is possible to have "broken" Merge nodes. Sometimes because of the way comps are created from clips you can end up with a comp that starts on frame 2500 say... if you copy that into a comp that ends on frame 1000 you cant get that merge node to show up.

The merge node doesn't have the global in and out slider in the inspector tab, so you cant pull it back in from there. If you try to find it in the timeline it is not visible and the spreadsheet seems to have a bug where if you pull a tool too far you can not type in a value to bring it back. If there is animation on the merge you can scroll way over and see that and move it, or use the spread sheet to adjust the timing... but you can not get the actual merge node to show up.

So you are left having to rebuild. It seems like this would be a pretty common thing to do... copy and past parts of a node tree into another comp. but this has caused several broken comps I couldn't figure out for a long time.

RedOrchid

Re: Copying Merge Nodes Broken?

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Here is a link to a short video demonstrating the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj3sa7vcvpugo58/Merge%20Node%20Problem.mp4?dl=0

as you can see you can fix layers that have the global in out control. But the merge does not have that... you can not type in the value in the spread sheet.

What I would love to see is the ability to have a keyboard short cut to snap selected layers in points to the playhead like the shift+[ command in Resolve.

I have a feeling that many fusion users are defaulting to making a fusion clip... which would give a comp that would generally start at a frame 0. But I really like the ability to hop over to the fusion page and start comping, especially for motion graphics Ideas... Sometimes it is nice to then back up and copy the work into a clean comp. You may want to do that to clean up before final color, or to make a template for other titles.

After Effects has a similar command and it makes roughing out the comp much faster.

Return to DaVinci Resolve