MXF Bug Report

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tony_castelluci

MXF Bug Report

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 10:35 pm

My system: Mac OS High Serra 10.13.5

Issue - Sony MXF clips play audio only in DaVinci Resolve 15. Worked fine in version 12.

Restarted machine fix did not work. Relink clips does not work. Cannot afford to upgrade to Studio so, please do not suggest that.

Has to be a fix.

tony_castelluci

Re: MXF Bug Report

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Great!

So my fix was to uninstall 15 and reinstall 12.

OK, I my clips are "online" again. But now it does not recognize MP3 files I need to import.

I know this is a free program. But, damn...please don't make me go crawling back to Adobe.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 am

You could consider the Studio version
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

tony_castelluci

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 am

Hi Peter,

If the bug exists in the free version, when it worked perfectly before, I am not inclined to pay for a $300 fix.

If you make an update, the last thing you want to do to potential customers is make the software more difficult to use.

I was in the middle of a color grading job. And I was learning more about nodes. And, the lesson i was watching was showed new features on V 15. So, I downloaded it, thinking the entire process would be seamless. But, it really screwed up my production schedule.

Makes sense that if v12 works fine with MXF files that v15 should also.

If you want people to buy the studio version and some of that nice hardware you have on the DaVinci site, then this issue needs to be fixed.

I went round and round with Adobe over an issue about it not importing audio tracks. And, instead of making an update to fix the issue they obviously caused, as it always worked before the update, they instead issued a lengthy set of instructions and expected the users to make the fix. Well, I'd been using Adobe since version 1. And I was so upset with this, (this happened twice to me in one year over several updates), I walked away from them.

So please do not ask me to do something for you, (such as upgrade to the Studio version), when the product that worked fine before is now not working because of a error on the upgrade team. And, if in fact this is not an error, and your team purposefully made it difficult to use MXF files, then I would strongly caution you against that and would suggest a new update to fix that issue.

I've uninstalled v15 and have v12 back on and it's running fine.

Even though this is a free version, my take on it is you want people to get used to using it, so when we buy for our own post house, we will buy from you. The hardware solutions that go with Studio look very good. So, whatever happened with v15, everyone who, like me, that is absolutely tired of Adobe's poor customer service and yearly gouging of $600, needs it fixed and up and running 100%.

And it needs to upgrade perfectly, and not give someone in a production schedule more to think about than they already do.

tony_castelluci

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 4:40 am

Not sure why v12 wasn't working with MP3, earlier. But, it is now.

Jwanschura

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 1:50 pm

So in my case it was also not working with the studio Version.
see this tread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=71892
Win10, Resolve studio 15, Decklink Studio2, nvidia 1070 8gb, 32gb ram

tony_castelluci

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Thats good info Jwanschura.

Suppose its up to the Blackmagic to fix the bug & release 15v2 now.

andybatt@gmail.com

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Just a quick note that the MXF proxy files, recorded by the Canon C300 M2 (direct to the SD card) still do not work in V15b6. The master MXF files work fine. I reported this on the last beta posting as well.

Using 15B6 ('free' not studio)
iMac Pro
OS 10.13.6
Andy Batt
Creative/Photographer/Director
www.andybatt.com

Canon C300MII + C-Log 5DIV
iMac Pro
DaVinci Resolve
Adobe Premiere

robertmanningjr

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 12:21 pm

This was a problem in version 14 as well and has been reported before, as stated above. Blackmagicdesign still has not fixed it and it is causing a SERIOUS workflow problem with me sharing edits with my co-workers.

It needs to be fixed immediately and I have two studio licenses.

Can Blackmagic please address this?
Rob

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core
128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro
Davinci Resolve 17 Studio

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

wutongdegugeyouxiang

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 5:02 pm

+ 1
DaVinci Resolve 16.1.0b.017;i7 6700, rx 590, 16G RAM

oweaver

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Having the same issue. Just updated today as I've been working on important projects all summer and didn't want to deal with bugs. Opened a previous project and all my MXF media is offline. Tried relinking and nothing. ProRes files show up fine. Worked just fine in V14 yesterday. 4K MXF works fine. Just no 1080p. Could it be a difference in intra frame and long GOP? In 4K, my Canon is intra, while in 1080 it is Long GOP. Just throwing that out there to see if anyone else has noticed this.
Windows 10 Pro
i7-7700
32GB
GTX1070
Decklink 4K

Return to DaVinci Resolve