Project crashed, and now DaVinci crashes every time

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

austinjberenyi

Project crashed, and now DaVinci crashes every time

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 pm

I'm a Mac user. DaVinci (v16.1 b3) crashed while I was changing the speed of a clip (to 4.0x) in the Cut page. Now each time I try to open the project DaVinci crashes before it finishes opening. I installed DaVinci 16.0 and tried again, but the same crash occurs. There are no backups or archives of the project.

Is there something I can do to attempt a safe open of my project?

Jeffrey Hahn

Re: Project crashed, and now DaVinci crashes every time

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 8:48 am

austinjberenyi wrote:I'm a Mac user. DaVinci (v16.1 b3) crashed while I was changing the speed of a clip (to 4.0x) in the Cut page. Now each time I try to open the project DaVinci crashes before it finishes opening. I installed DaVinci 16.0 and tried again, but the same crash occurs. There are no backups or archives of the project.

Is there something I can do to attempt a safe open of my project?

Having the same problem here. Make sure you have project backups turned on in the settings. After finding this bug I set my project backup to every 10 minutes.

It would be amazingly helpful if BM were to have a page where they posted a list of known bugs that have been reported, and the state of their progress in being fixed. With a bug this serious it's hard knowing whether or not to stay with the platform or go back to Premiere.
--
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K, w/ SSD recorder, URSA 4K
Mac Pro 6,1 / 8 core Intel Xeon, 3.5 GHz / 64 GB RAM
Ultrastudio 4K
DR Editor Keyboard
Blackmagic Thunderbolt SSD Dock
Resolve Mini Panel
2 TB SSD cache, 16 TB project array, 36 TB project archive

deanphillips1991

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Having the same problem here. Make sure you have project backups turned on in the settings. After finding this bug I set my project backup to every 10 minutes.

It would be amazingly helpful if BM were to have a page where they posted a list of known bugs that have been reported, and the state of their progress in being fixed. With a bug this serious it's hard knowing whether or not to stay with the platform or go back to Premiere.

Agreed. I actually rarely had anything go wrong with premiere pro, I moved to DR because I preferred the interface, but now I'm starting to wonder if I need to work back (again).
PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight Core CPU
Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME X370-PRO
RAM: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE
GPU: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 -

Macbook:
2.4GHz 8-core i9 processor
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB
32GB RAM
2TB SSD storage

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 10:07 am

Austin

Can you post a link to your crash logs? you can open an untitled project and use the Help menu to create an archive on the desktop. Please put this on a file-sharing site and post a link that we can access.

If you are able to export the project from the project manager without actually opening the faulty project, please include the exported drp file alongside the logs?

If you can export it, it might be worth trying to open an untitled project, reset the UI layout and import the drp file back into the project manager.

Please try the suggestions above with the latest version that was used to work on this database (I'm guessing this is 16.1b3 in your case) - to rule out potential issues that 16.0 may have with newer features or metadata from the 16.1 betas.

Thanks
Shrinivas

austinjberenyi

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 am

Thanks Shrinivas Ramani,

Here is a link to my crash logs and exported project:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WoqoB ... 1jJ3_IuntL

I attempted your suggestion resetting the UI layout and importing the drp file back into the project with no luck. Hoping you and your team can find the problem!

ErichLinder

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 1:42 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Austin

Can you post a link to your crash logs? you can open an untitled project and use the Help menu to create an
Thanks
Shrinivas

I'm running into the same problem with the release 16.0 in both Mac and Windows. I've tried all the above, uninstall/reinstall, export archive and just project and reimport both. At some point both the auto-saved and manually saved projects all got the same problem and crash on load.

Logs as well as the crashing project and the last properly loading project files both using the same source media files.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/061ldogu1bezfxx/R16%20project%20load%20crash.zip?dl=0

Erich

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 4:13 am

Erich

we're looking at the logs in more detail. In the meanwhile, could you try exporting and opening the project in a computer without NeatVideo installed?

Thanks
Shrinivas

ErichLinder

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

I uninstalled Neat Video, and all the projects open properly. I reinstalled Neat Video, and the same project that opened still opens and saves without problem. The project that crashed again crashes on loading with Neat Video installed.

I opened the good project again, which also has Neat Video in use, and there's no problem running, saving, or reopening. If I go to the edit page and use the blade to slice a section (so I can grade that new smaller subsection of the clip), I can continue to work without problem including rendering. However, if I save that project with the new slice, the new project crashes on loading.

This workflow did not present any problems with Resolve Studio 15.3.1.

Erich

Return to DaVinci Resolve