DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Russ Blaise

Re: DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 7:41 pm

I would add that the first clip selected should be the one that doesn't move, with the subsequently selected clips moving into place.

That would be great also!
Mac Pro (2012) 2 x 3.46GHz 6-Core, Catalina (Open Core), 96GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8 GB, Intensity Pro 4k, Resolve Studio.

Seth Goldin

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 pm

It'd be great to have an option on the Deliver page, perhaps with a checkbox, to concatenate all scaling operations.

Here's a workflow I just did this week:
  1. Import 6K source media
  2. Change project settings so that timelines are 2K, and work in 2K
  3. When ready to render, change project settings to 4K
  4. Render "single clip" at 4K
Here would be a more convenient workflow:
  1. Import 6K source media
  2. Change project settings so that timelines are 2K, and work in 2K
  3. When ready to render, go to the Deliver page, select 4K for the single-clip output, and check a box named "Concatenate scaling operations"
I am very grateful that Resolve is "resolution-independent," but currently the scaling operations throughout the pipeline can't be concatenated, so you must go to Project Settings and change the timeline resolution. If, as in the first workflow I listed out above, I were to neglect to change the Project Settings from 2K back to 4K before rendering, the scaling pipeline would be: 6K to 2K and then back up to 4K, and I definitely would not want that.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Syrzyk

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 7:52 pm

1) Edit page - Edit index

Currently list is fixed with a few ways to search it or filter it. What would be a great improvement is possibility to sort it by columns - for example to easily sort by reel names.

And second thing - clicking item on that list should select that clip in timeline. Also selecting multiple elements should select all these clips in timeline.

2) Color page - Adding nodes

Adding serial node to a node that splits on output into two parallel:

So what it does now is adding node after the split as an input to only first splitted node:

What it should do is add it BEFORE the split:

If I wanted current functionality I would go to Node #2 and added Serial Before

3) Color page - super annoying bug

With some release there was implemented Shared Node which is really great. By default newly created Shared Node is locked so it wouldnt be accidentally changed across whole project easily. Thats awesome too - I just cannot understand why do You allow RESET SELECTED NODE on a locked node. This is definitely a bug (15.1.1.005 here).

Also it would be nice if new shared node carried name of a node it was before

Thanks
DR Studio 18.1.3 Build 8
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz
Windows 10 Pro x64
32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, "Studio" driver 528.02
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, driver 12.4.2

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:the scaling pipeline would be: 6K to 2K and then back up to 4K

Are you sure that's true? I would assume that when Individual Clips is selected the timeline resolution (and hence scaling) is ignored.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Seth Goldin

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 5:35 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Seth Goldin wrote:the scaling pipeline would be: 6K to 2K and then back up to 4K

Are you sure that's true? I would assume that when Individual Clips is selected the timeline resolution (and hence scaling) is ignored.

I believe it’s true for “single clip” exports of the timeline, which is what I was delivering for convenience to the online editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean Claude

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Blackmagic RAW Player
Link : https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicraw

Review Blackmagic RAW clips with consistent color between software
Download Blackmagic RAW Player => only "Mac OS X "

I hope someday we will also have a version for Windows? (and why not Linux) :)
thank you in advance (and all the sensor data displayed?) :oops:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Sharingan80

Re: DAVINCI 15/16 | feature request list.

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 am

To be able to have the option of taking the RENDER QUEUE over when saving as a new project, rather than discarding entierly.
ALSO to be able to customise the render order when you create a queue. Currently its not movable once created.
It'll be a timesaver to sort them out for HD renders / 2K renders / Colourspace types etc.
EVEN better if we can have folders in here that would make the organisation alot better.

One of the great benefits to me or some people here who deal with localisation and have to export various iteration / versions of files, organised into assorted folder locations setup with in the RENDER QUEUE.

My general process is setup a template and setup a render queue in tandam. However this becomes slightly tedious when you save the project as another iteration the render queue is discarded and you have to set it all up again.

Its fine when working directly in the same project. however doing localisation gets the project bloated with media assets, so we split into projects per country.

thanks

Hector Corcin

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Power Smart bins. Like Smart Bins but available to all projects. Or option to convert on/off one smart bin to a power smart bin.

ohimbz

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Sound FX library to actually have a visual list of what`s inside ... many of my audio files have a name .... not what it represents ...

Also being able to search by Genere pulled from within the file would be lovely.
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 18.5
Windows 11

Eric Testroete

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:07 pm

A way to select and delete multiple (hundreds) of transition at once.

Right now there is no way to select multiple transitions and delete them with out either deleting the clips they are on (draw a window) or selecting transitions one at a time.
DR Studio 16.1.1.005, Win10Pro 1909/18363.535 - i7-7700HQ@2.8GHz, 16GB RAM
GTX 1050 4GB, "Studio" driver 441.66
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe - Project: 1TB NVMe - Cache: 1TB NVMe

Pacific

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Bring us DaVinci Resolve 15 without the bugs.

Negative things gone missing is my number 1 feature request!
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Build 7
2020 27"iMac 4GB Vram 16GB RAM, i9 10-core processor, Mac OS Ventura,

Seth Goldin

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 4:32 am

It used to be, perhaps in 14, that in the database manager window, you could right-click and immediately enter a remote rendering window. In 15, it seems that this option has been removed. Why? Now I must open up a regular project in the same database and then click Workspace in the menu bar to access remote rendering.

Please bring back the option to enter a remote rendering window by right-clicking in the database manager window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etang77

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 9:28 am

Allow a even more customisable timeline size:

Right now I don't have an option where I can have the Audio at the minimize track size, with Video having thumbnails or filmstrips.

chamoas

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 am

Coming from Premier I owl love to see couple of things in the next Dv or in any updates.

1. To be able to sync videos in the time line as it is now you can just sync video and audio or multicam, but if you have. full video and need to add short videos to on top of the long one you are not able to do it as DaVinci don't let you sin audios from 2 videos in the timeline. sometime I use cameras for different angles but this cameras are not recording the entire time or have limit time recording so if I create multicam Dv would create a 4,5,6.... angles regardless is is just 2 or 3 cameras but footage contain time gaps. In Premier you can just simple select 2 videos in the time line and right click and select sync audios. that is a time saver.

2. Would be great if you can unlock panels and relocated them, as with 2 screens default config location of the windows is a bit odd for me doesn't work with the effects panels and is no way I can change it locations, maybe give couple of precomposed panels configuration to choose from.

3. Be able to create templates from fusion that you can use in the editing timeline without having to change the main Fusion composition every time you need to do a change, example, when creating lower-thirds in AE you can create a template and select the options you would need to leave open for the user to change; like name, position, font type etc.. and then exported and use it a precompose animation in premier , so you just change the names of your participants without the need to going in to the main file to do it. As it is now Fusion has great capabilities but still a bit far from AE, hopefully gets more friendly to the user and it would kill Adobe for sure.

Andy Mees

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 1:52 am

chamoas wrote:3. Be able to create templates from fusion that you can use in the editing timeline without having to change the main Fusion composition every time you need to do a change, example, when creating lower-thirds in AE you can create a template and select the options you would need to leave open for the user to change; like name, position, font type etc.. and then exported and use it a precompose animation in premier , so you just change the names of your participants without the need to going in to the main file to do it. As it is now Fusion has great capabilities but still a bit far from AE, hopefully gets more friendly to the user and it would kill Adobe for sure.

You can do this in DaVinci Resolve Fusion Page too. I'm not the right person to teach you how, check the manual, but I've set up a number of Fusion Title templates that I use directly from the edit page with only the specific controls I need. Basically you just build your composition, select everything but the Media Out, and tell Fusion to save it as a 'macro' ( identify the controls you need available) - and put it in the Fusion > Templates > Edit folder. Beware, that's off the top of my head and I may have misremembered the steps / missed something.

Unfortunately this only works for creating Title templates ... would be great if they expanded the functionality to support Effect templates too. (Similar to FCPX's ability to use Effects, Generators and Title templates that are built in and published from Apple Motion ).
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

studio1492

Customization of International Keyboards

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 am

REQUEST: Support for international keyboards on the Keyboard Customization tool. Version 15.2 shows the "US English" keyboard only.

Anyway, big thanks for implementing the keyboard customization tool!
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

studio1492

Some functions on scopes.

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 1:46 pm

I still haven't found a quick shortcut (keyboard, mouse or panel) to switch between the diferent Scopes (Vectroscope-Histogram etc...) except for the current drop-down menu method, which is time consuming and not quick at all, as it involves the microcosmic use of the mouse. Some shortcut functions (like vectroscope) exist on the keyboard customizator, but they don't act ¡! on the scope window (or I haven't found how to make it work). Watching a parade of x2 and x4 scopes together when Scopes area is attached to the main workspace (when there is no dual screen) may help too.

As an alternative, my proposal is to switch between scopes hovering the mouse over the scope area while moving the mouse wheel up/down, or perhaps by clicking on the scope space, as at the current version of DVR scopes have no functionallity when clicking over them or hovering the mouse.

Additionally, it will be great (and perhaps useful) to hold SHIFT or ALT or CTRL ... over the scopes to see the affected area highlighted on the frame display.
Last edited by studio1492 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Jed Mitchell

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Consistent middle-mouse drag behavior in all panels, including 1-dimensional scrolling panels like Clips, Media Pool, Inspector, etc.

How it works:
Use the middle mouse button drag operation to "grab" every panel and drag it up-down / left-right as an alternative to a scroll wheel. This currently exists in the Edit timeline, Color page node panel & viewers (and Timeline though in a very weird way), and in every panel on the Fusion page (other than, conspicuously, the panels taken from the rest of Resolve like Clips & Media Pool). Hell, this even works in the Scopes for some reason where it's probably more of a con than a pro.

Why would you want this?
In Fusion you can drag through long lists of node settings in the Inspector panel -- this is incredibly useful and much faster for tablet users (a lot of colorists & compositors) who do not have a dedicated scroll wheel, and for whom MMB dragging is easily the best way to get around in the panels where it already works. In particular this would be incredibly useful for drag-scrolling through big lists in the Media Pool or Effects Library.

Just import this functionality from the Fusion panels that already have it, it clearly works fine with the existing Resolve interface and the middle mouse button has no assigned functionality in most of the panels where this behavior would be implemented.
"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

studio1492

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 4:24 pm

FEATURE 1: When working in Color and the viewer is playing the current clip, switching to another clip stops the playing. Also clicking any other time position on the transport bar on the viewer stops the playing.
It will be great that when Play is on, the viewer keeps playing resuming at the beggining of the new selected clip, or resumes playing on the new time position when clicking the position bar on the viewer.

FEATURE 2: Mouse wheel moves the time position when is over the position bar below the frame viewer (and also on the Tracker's playhead in Color).

FEATURE 3: SHIFT+vertical mouse wheel maximices or minimices the clip size on the timeline clips. This is currenty working on Fairlight timeline, but not on Edition Timeline.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Michael Tiemann

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:49 pm

It is possible to write automation data to Fairlight audio tracks (such as A1), and it is then possible to edit the resulting keyframes using the UI.

It is also possible to write automation data to Fairlight busses (such as the Main Output level), but it is not possible to then edit the resulting keyframes using the UI.

There should be a way to edit keyframes on Fairlight busses, not only audio tracks.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Camel.PNG
Camel.PNG (7.16 KiB) Viewed 14299 times

If you have a continuous selection of video (aka no filler gaps) even if it is spread across multiple tracks. When you hit delete on it it should pull up the video all the way and not leave any gap.

DaVinci currently will leave a gap the length of the V1 filler segment as seen in the below picture. This is not the desired operation.

Camel After.PNG
Camel After.PNG (3.85 KiB) Viewed 14299 times
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:26 pm

I wonder why change a behavior that has been there for years:

When duplicate timeline, leave the "copy " wording at the end so the alphabetical order does not change.

Most important, up to 14, upon duplicate the timeline, the new timeline was automatically selected, it is not the case anymore.
Can we revert to the previous behaviour?

Group, upon selecting a group, the timeline was jumping on an actual shot that belong to the group. Now just sit on black.
Can we revert back?

Shot with flash in color, select the flag and press backspace should remove the flag, nor arbitrarily delete a node...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jaw327

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 12:55 am

please for the love of god finally fix the HDPI display issue. This has been a problem for years now. It makes resolve unusable with windows 10 and a 4K monitor

chamoas

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 2:33 am

1. The ability to change the settings after you start a project. For now in a coming update could be the option of asking every time you open a new project what settings fo you wanna choose because regardless of your presets is always by default the same 24fps Full HD. to be able to import other projects or timelines from other projects in to my current one, so I don't have to close the project every time I need to import some cuts form another project.

2. An option to close current project, so the of ware brings you to the welcome screen, instead of having to close the software every time you need to close a project.

Aaron Hinton

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 2:59 am

My feature requests:
1. If the ResolveFX grain could actually export on handles when applied on the clip level, that would be great.
2. Please allow the Tangent Element panel to access and modify camera RAW controls. (And letting Tangent use their Tangent Mapper software with Resolve would also be very kind of you).
3. Please make it so original ISO and white balance camera RAW settings can be excluded from project-based RAW settings, if so desired. (Meaning, having the ability to change gamma curve and color space settings per project whilst preserving the cinematographer's original ISO and white balance settings).
4. Apple-licensed ProRes encoding on Windows machines (much like Assimilate Scratch). If this requires an additional license fee, that's fine.
5. More flexibility to resize specific elements of the UI, much like in Adobe's software suite.
6. The ability automatically (if so desired) apply color adjustments when another instance of a clip is imported with an XML. For example, if a DIT colored footage when making proxies, importing a locked XML will then automatically apply the DIT's color that already exists in the project. This feature could exist as a checkbox upon importing the XML, much like the "sizing information" checkbox.
7. The ability to create standard .cdl files.

etang77

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

There's a variety of display in relations to the time, "Source Timecode", "Source Frame", etc. Right now, what ever one chooses to display, the numbers you input is always the timecode.

Please make it that when it's displaying frame count, the numbers you enter is to the frame count and not the timecode.

With regards to search in Bin, let there be a selection like in Finder on Mac, search within the folder or search all bins. Because for the last project, I had to dump everything into one folder for easier search access...

Is there a ways to save simple "settings"? I know about the preset. But right now, I'm having to re-select some options from the drop down menu, like "Selection Follow Playhead"

Dax Roggio

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:48 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I wonder why change a behavior that has been there for years:

When duplicate timeline, leave the "copy " wording at the end so the alphabetical order does not change.

Most important, up to 14, upon duplicate the timeline, the new timeline was automatically selected, it is not the case anymore.

Is it possible to duplicate a timeline at all anymore? The option seems to have disappeared entirely. (It’s only been a crucial part of my workflow since the beginning of time.) I’ve been copying and pasting as a workaround, but that requires several additional steps to accomplish what duplicate used to do in one.
No, you probably don’t need a calibrated, non-computer display.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:24 am

Dax Roggio wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:I wonder why change a behavior that has been there for years:

Is it possible to duplicate a timeline at all anymore? The option seems to have disappeared entirely. (It’s only been a crucial part of my workflow since the beginning of time.) I’ve been copying and pasting as a workaround, but that requires several additional steps to accomplish what duplicate used to do in one.

Select a timeline. Edit- duplicate clips will duplicate the timeline
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Gabriele Gelfo

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 8:20 am

vectorial UI
resizable windows
detachable windows
icon editor (buttons) for custom commands or scripts
100% customizable interface: button, menus, right click mouse button menu

regards
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

studio1492

GUI requests

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 10:51 am

REQUEST 1: Customizable toolbar on Edit Window.
It will be great to custom edit the current timeline toolbar corresponding to the personal needs of each editor, removing unused tools, or adding new ones with its corresponding icon. The new tools for the bar can be:
- Clip Color
- Render Cache Mode
- Selection Follows Playhead
- Show duplicate frames
- Switch Multicam Angle
- Change Clip Speed
... The list of candidate tools for the toolbar is huge. Customizing that bar according to the style and needs of each editor will be a great plus and time saver.

REQUEST 2: Dynamic Toolbars Layout
In order to gain vertical pixels on the workspace to see the video preview window much bigger and accurate on single display systems (laptops, etc), both the timeline toolbar and the bottom toolbar mode may be switchable to 4 different modes:
- Horizontal (this is the current default mode up to v15.2, but wasting vertical pixels, which means a tiny video preview on laptops)
- Vertical and resizable Toolbar (it may look like the Audio Mixer on the Edit Timeline workspace).
- Detacched from workspace (like on Premiere default mode, however not my personal cup of tea)
- Hide Toolbar (Useful for advanced users who work with dedicated keyboard shortcuts and enjoy a clean workspace. This mode will be my personal choice).

REQUEST 3: When opening the Keyboard Customization Tool, remember and show up the last edited shortcut.

REQUEST 4: In Media Pool, right clicking a timeline may offer the he ability to Duplicate a timeline (currently one has to copy and paste inside, which does the trick).

REQUEST 5: On the GUI highlight modified values against default values.
In Color/Inspector, etc it would be great to highlight when a numeric value has been modified from the default value. This may help to quickly find which values have been modified avoiding to read by eye the individual number of each parameter, accelerating the edition process. There are many ways to highlight it (bold, underline the box of the value, green for positive red for negative, background color of the GUI box, border of the value box...), however it should be discrete but easily identifiable.

REQUEST 6: Keyboard shortcuts to switch on/off the workspaces shown on the Upper Bar (Media Pool, Nodes, Inspector...). Then the ability of minimize or hide that Upper Bar, in order to gain the precious vertical space on laptops.

REQUEST 7: Tab Key switches between the pages of the selected working window.
For example, When working with Curves, Tab key quickly switches to Custom->Hue Vs Hue->Hue Vs Sat etc.
When Working with Wheels, Tab key quickly switches to primary wheels->Bars->Log.
You can recognize that the dots that switch to the different pages of the workspace requiere microcosmic use of the mouse, which at the end of the journey means a waste of time and energy.
Aditionally, it will be MAGIC to use the mouse wheel to toggle the pagination of the working space, specially curves, scopes, and wheels-bars-log.

REQUEST 8:
In Color, when a Curve has been modified, then highlight (with a different color) the paginating dots that shortcuts the corresponding Curve. This can also be applied to "Sizing", "Color Wheels" "Log" and any other workspace that has shortcuts with dots. This helps to identify if a given curve or space has modifications inside without the need of opening it to inspect it.
This can be done by changing the color of the dot of the corresponding curve, or perhaps adding a coloured border.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2018-12-10 a las 11.05.46 a. m..png
Captura de pantalla 2018-12-10 a las 11.05.46 a. m..png (83.6 KiB) Viewed 14204 times
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Paul Russell

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 am

Pro Res export on PC please.

If it's good enough for Adobe, it should be part of Resolve Studio.

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-pro-vid ... -0p2pW8Qkk
Calamity Studio

studio1492

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am

REQUEST 1: On edit timeline: Right click on any Timeline tab shows "Close the other timelines" when there are several timelines opened in tabs and we want to focus on just one single timeline.

REQUEST 2: Working in timeline, holding CRTL(mac) (or any other key combination) when moving a clip to a new position, simply changes the order of the clip, closing the gap on the old position, and opening a gap on the new position it will occupy. This is great to change the order of clips from clips 1-2-3 to 3-2-1.
(If this is already possible with mouse and alternative key, please let me know how to do it, as I haven't found it after trying really hard)
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

appelkap

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 pm

studio1492 wrote:REQUEST 2: Working in timeline, holding CRTL(mac) (or any other key combination) when moving a clip to a new position, simply changes the order of the clip, closing the gap on the old position, and opening a gap on the new position it will occupy. This is great to change the order of clips from clips 1-2-3 to 3-2-1.
(If this is already possible with mouse and alternative key, please let me know how to do it, as I haven't found it after trying really hard)

I think what you are describing can currently be archived with CRTL/CMD + Shift.
Tho I think some animations similar to the new insert animations would improve this feature.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 2:07 pm

studio1492 wrote:REQUEST 1: On edit timeline: Right click on any Timeline tab shows "Close the other timelines" when there are several timelines opened in tabs and we want to focus on just one single timeline.

REQUEST 2: Working in timeline, holding CRTL(mac) (or any other key combination) when moving a clip to a new position, simply changes the order of the clip, closing the gap on the old position, and opening a gap on the new position it will occupy. This is great to change the order of clips from clips 1-2-3 to 3-2-1.

Yes it is possible, it's a modifier key plus click and drag IIRC.

Manual it...

Nathan Morgan

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 am

Resolve is changing the way that I edit. I am finding myself using In & Out less and just click dragging to manipulate the timeline. The downside of this is that I no longer get duration like I would if I was using the in and out points.

It would be great if:

If there is no in and out point set
& there are clips selected

that the duration would show you the duration of selected clips. The duration would be from the first frame of the first clips selected in the sequence to the end frame of the last clip selected in the sequence. If there are gaps between selected clips the gaps would be included in the total.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

JasonZ

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:48 am

I'm too lazy to read through almost 600 posts to see if someone already posted this, but I want a better update system. Instead of downloading all of Davinci Resolve over and over again every time they make an update, I'd prefer small updates maybe automatic too.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

waltervolpatto

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 11:00 pm

JasonZ wrote:I'm too lazy to read through almost 600 posts to see if someone already posted this, but I want a better update system. Instead of downloading all of Davinci Resolve over and over again every time they make an update, I'd prefer small updates maybe automatic too.

I downvote this, i can't afford to lose a client because an automatic update, and in hi end facilities you don't ever have access to internet at all from the color suites.

And, i prefer a single full contained download than the:

Download version 1
Install
download patch 1
Install
download patch 3 cumulative
Install....

You get the drift.

Trensharo

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
JasonZ wrote:I'm too lazy to read through almost 600 posts to see if someone already posted this, but I want a better update system. Instead of downloading all of Davinci Resolve over and over again every time they make an update, I'd prefer small updates maybe automatic too.

I downvote this, i can't afford to lose a client because an automatic update, and in hi end facilities you don't ever have access to internet at all from the color suites.

And, i prefer a single full contained download than the:

Download version 1
Install
download patch 1
Install
download patch 3 cumulative
Install....

You get the drift.

You're completely missing the point.

Completely unnecessary post.

Automatic updates can be a simple toggle.

Updates should be delta that only deliver changed bits. Currently, gilts a full uninstall+reinstall of the application.

The application should notify the user when an update is available. Currently, it doesn't. You have to stall the internet to keep up on this. Many of have better things to do with our time.

If you don't trust BMD to develop a decent update system, why are you trusting your business to their NLE, which is far more complex and risky. This is not a difficult problem to solve, and it definitely needs improvement.

High end facilities aren't the only people using Resolve, and last time j checked they wanted it to be used on more than color suites. The other customers matter, too, and the current update system is awful.

So much shade and holier than-thou-vibes from some of you people.

Jason Conrad

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 am

Trensharo wrote:So much shade and holier than-thou-vibes from some of you people.

Uh, Walter worked on Star Wars: The Last Jedi. His input is valuable to this community.

I'm not saying yours isn't. But you owe it to yourself to thoughtfully consider the opinions of other people on this forum, weigh them carefully against your own, and present a respectful counterargument.

BMD want to please both new users and seasoned pros, and they are very responsive to forum input. By keeping the discussion here civil and productive, everyone wins.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Dany Evans

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 am

A lot of good points here. But for me i have just one wish to BMD:

Please, update the advanced panel finite!

It's such unergonomic, full of missing features and bugs. That's too bad for this great (and expensive) piece of hardware. And btw: spend them a manual or something like a SC list at least.

Thank you
MP7.1 16 Core 3,2Ghz | OS 13.5 | 192GB Ram | Vega II Duo | Decklink 4K ex 12G with Quad SDI board | DR 18.6.3 B19 | Desktop Video 12.1 | SSD Raid | Advanced Panel 2

chrisbrearley

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 am

150% UI scaling. That's it. That is all I want. If they give me that I'd be more than happy if they made no other improvements for the next 3 years (apart from the juicy new RED SDK coming up maybe). Long overdue.

studio1492

Chapter Markers

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Request: Chapter markers. Add the capability to set markers as "chapter marker" in timeline with its corresponding title name, and finally add them when rendering MP4/MOV/ProRes, so the final viewer can navigate through chapters easily inside the rendered file.

This is an old industry standard when editing DVD and BlueRay, and it is odd that Resolve still has not support for it.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Trensharo

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:
Trensharo wrote:So much shade and holier than-thou-vibes from some of you people.

Uh, Walter worked on Star Wars: The Last Jedi. His input is valuable to this community.

I'm not saying yours isn't. But you owe it to yourself to thoughtfully consider the opinions of other people on this forum, weigh them carefully against your own, and present a respectful counterargument.

BMD want to please both new users and seasoned pros, and they are very responsive to forum input. By keeping the discussion here civil and productive, everyone wins.
Not sure that matters all that much, and that's exactly what I'm referring to...

Additionally, don't tell me to make a counter argument after you delete it and respond to one statement out of my reply.

Updates should be delta that only deliver changed bits. Currently, gilts a full uninstall+reinstall of the application.

The application should notify the user when an update is available. Currently, it doesn't. You have to stall the internet to keep up on this. Many of have better things to do with our time.

It's pretty logical that an update system would require confirmation and have a toggle for automatic updates, so "downvoting" and bringing that up as a reason is literally stupid.

The people breaking their systems with Premiere Pro updates are making a choice, not having it dictated to then by Adobe.

We're talking about NLEs, not Windows 10 Home Edition.

I think we all should be required to utilize some basic common sense. Some people seem like they just like "using up the oxygen in the room."

I'll also add that I'm aware that I'm not in BMDs target demo. But this is the only program on my PC that does not notify of an Update. I don't use Social Media. Its toxic and full of adverts. Even without an updater, a simple notification in-app when an Update is available would be a huge improvement.

Tom Early

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Trensharo wrote:
Jason Conrad wrote:

Not sure that matters all that much, and that's exactly what I'm referring to...

Additionally, don't tell me to make a counter argument after you delete it and respond to one statement out of my reply.

It's pretty logical that an update system would require confirmation and have a toggle for automatic updates, so "downvoting" and bringing that up as a reason is literally stupid.

The people breaking their systems with Premiere Pro updates are making a choice, not having it dictated to then by Adobe.

I think we all should be required to utilize some basic common sense. Some people seem like they just like "using up the oxygen in the room."

I'll also add that I'm aware that I'm not in BMDs target demo. But this is the only program on my PC that does not notify of an Update. I don't use Social Media. Its toxic and full of adverts. Even without an updater, a simple notification in-app when an Update is available would be a huge improvement.

notification or updates would be nice, but no way should they just have it download the small amount needed for an update as then that would make rolling back to earlier versions impossible. Also I can take the latest version of Resolve with me wherever I go and not have to download anything extra when installing it on a new machine. Installing a new version takes literally 13 seconds for me, but then I'm on a Mac, Windows users may have to jump through more hoops with uninstalling previous versions first, but then your machines are so fast you'll just make that time up later, right?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Trensharo

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Tom Early wrote:
Trensharo wrote:
Jason Conrad wrote:[quote="Trensharo"]So much shade and holier than-thou-vibes from some of you people.

notification or updates would be nice, but no way should they just have it download the small amount needed for an update as then that would make rolling back to earlier versions impossible. Also I can take the latest version of Resolve with me wherever I go and not have to download anything extra when installing it on a new machine. Installing a new version takes literally 13 seconds for me, but then I'm on a Mac, Windows users may have to jump through more hoops with uninstalling previous versions first, but then your machines are so fast you'll just make that time up later, right?[/quote]Not quite

They can keep the full installers on the website.

To roll back you just back up your database. Uninstall and install the earlier version...

... ... ...

The above is fairly common practice across the software industry. The updates install exactly in that manner. It just makes little sense to download 1GB to update 200MB of binaries.

Automatic updates would be a toggle, like it is in macOS. You can get them automatically if you want them, or you can say no; but at least you have the choice.

The notification is the biggest deal. Keeping up with the updates on this software feels like a chore.

How many people have complained about bugs while being aware that an update was available that fixed it on this very forum?! ;-)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gary Hango

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 5:25 pm

In-app notifications require an internet connection. Most professional suites don’t allow internet connections (unless cloud sharing). I think a better way to notify of an update would be to use the database of user emails garnered from the download form, and send a bulk email message.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

waltervolpatto

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Like Gary mentioned, big post facilities simply do not (and cannot) have the machines connected to internet due to security and studio plus MPAA regulation.

Usually the machines are not updated to the last version of software, because you have project to finish and deadlines. Often you're behind by a lot.

So, if i am behind, and a new version cone about, i cannot simply go and install it: in your method i have to download and install every "patch" since the last major release.

Multiply for 30 systems and you're in a world of pain.

Instead, simply download the current all included version that will elegantly uninstall the old one and make a clean install of the new one is safe, clean and efficient.

M2c

Jason Conrad

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Update notifications are available through the RSS feed. No social media required, and DaVinci can stay off the network to keep the studios happy. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/rss
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

bruce alan greene

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 10:53 pm

I am having a difficult time dealing with resized frames, especially if there is some rotation involved.

Making the fame size change is easy. Being able to see if the frame is cropped is not.

I've recently been working on a 2048x858 timeline and the surrounding area, outside the frame, is always black. And this means it's really hard to see if my image fills the frame if it's dark or near black.

Can you please offer a way to change the area surrounding the image to grey or white when needed? This would very much improve one's ability to ensure that no frame cropping has occurred.

Thanks!

Tom Early

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 11:59 pm

bruce alan greene wrote:I am having a difficult time dealing with resized frames, especially if there is some rotation involved.

Making the fame size change is easy. Being able to see if the frame is cropped is not.

I've recently been working on a 2048x858 timeline and the surrounding area, outside the frame, is always black. And this means it's really hard to see if my image fills the frame if it's dark or near black.

Can you please offer a way to change the area surrounding the image to grey or white when needed? This would very much improve one's ability to ensure that no frame cropping has occurred.

Thanks!

Something other than the existing 'use gray background in viewers' option you mean? Like the checkerboard you get in the Fusion tab when looking at an image that does not fill the frame?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve