Little tips ....With Beta after V14.x (release)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean Claude

Little tips ....With Beta after V14.x (release)

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 pm

If I have advice to communicate with the Beta 15 (it's a beta 1 => OK):
-make the maximum backup (including HDD OS)
- Export all your projects in .DRP

Uninstall All that is BlackMAgic
Delete All that is BlackMagic (directory)

(windows) Find a utility such as Ccleaner or JV16 PowerTools or use Revo uninstall PRO or (?) and clean all traces (like a clean install (Registry and Directory)) + reboot

Install Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_10.9.12 + reboot
Install Davinci Resolve v15B001 + disk database + postgresql (use for audio library)

and re-import your database and / or your .DPR one by one into the original container
Origin Disk => Disk
GOLD
Origin Disk => PostGreSql (if you know what you are doing)

I just did some tests between Edit => Fusion. Fusion => COLOR and Color => Fusion and no crash. + Title + Alpha on Tab Edit ...(2 hours)
it remains a beta. No plugin but wait ... (Hope)

Pst: no return of v15 to v14 => update of the database. Warning...
Or restore HDD OS :mrgreen:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Dan Sherman

Re: Little tips ....With Beta after V14.x (release)

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm a developer by trade (not for BM), and I'll add an additional and more blunt point.

If 15 Beta doesn't work the way you want or think it should, don't whine and complain like a petulant child. It's a Beta and if you don't understand the ramifications of that, you shouldn't be installing it.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jean Claude

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:I'm a developer by trade (not for BM), and I'll add an additional and more blunt point.

If 15 Beta doesn't work the way you want or think it should, don't whine and complain like a petulant child. It's a Beta and if you don't understand the ramifications of that, you shouldn't be installing it.

Hi Dan,
+1
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Chad Capeland

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:If 15 Beta doesn't work the way you want or think it should, don't whine and complain like a petulant child. It's a Beta and if you don't understand the ramifications of that, you shouldn't be installing it.

We’ve done no market research on this. We never do user studies, or, you know, any of that stuff. So, we have no idea what’s going to happen. We just do these things and think it sounds right and it’ll be interesting to see what happens.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Dan Sherman

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
We’ve done no market research on this. We never do user studies, or, you know, any of that stuff. So, we have no idea what’s going to happen. We just do these things and think it sounds right and it’ll be interesting to see what happens.

This is in no way related to my comment. This is quote is about sales and marketing segment positioning.

I'm sure BM does a lot of internal testing, but it's not possible for a software manufacture to test every possible combination of OS/Drivers/hardware/source material that and end user might want to use. This is the reason software companies have Beta releases.

Companies usually do testing internally, then they have private beta release(s) where a select group of users test out the software after signing an NDA. Then depending on the company they might have several rounds of public beta releases. After all of that then they have an official release.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Paul Draper

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Jean Claude wrote:If I have advice to communicate with the Beta 15 (it's a beta 1 => OK):
-make the maximum backup (including HDD OS)
- Export all your projects in .DRP

Plus: export /save DB via the Project Manager in DR14 first.
Jean Claude wrote:Pst: no return of v15 to v14 => update of the database. Warning...

If rolling back from 15b to 14, then re-import the saved 14DB.
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

Octavian Mot

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm

I've been working intensively with 4.6K footage on 15 studio beta in the past 3 days and I noticed three things that might help others:

1. 2x 1070 8G OC GPUs here, but Fusion works better if it's locked in using the CPU for processing. Otherwise I keep running out of memory on the GPUs.
2. If you have the cache turned on and it's crashing, just turn it off, do your operations in Fusion and then turn it back on.
3. Caching and keeping project footage on same drive kinda kills the cache, so try to keep those separate.

The project I've been working on ended up having approx. 30 fusion nodes (including blurs and a deltakeyer) and 17 color nodes and it got me to an astounding 1.2fps playback without caching. :lol: Still, it feels that an integrated Fusion makes the roundtrip way simpler than before.
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

Jean Claude

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Jean Claude

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Patrick Strenk

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I really think this was in reference to the new 4k pocket cinema camera. In my opinion, you are taking it out of context. It also has nothing to do with installing the beta.

[/quote]
Patrick Strenk
Editor | Colorist | VFX

WIN 10 PRO X64 | DaVinci Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio 18.6.2 | Desktop Vid 12.5.1 | Mini and SE Panel | Intensity Pro 4K | 7980XE 18 core | 128GB RAM | RTX3090 | SSD OS drive | 2GB NVMe cache drive | 4x6TB RAID

Pedro Dias

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 am

Dan Sherman wrote:I'm a developer by trade (not for BM), and I'll add an additional and more blunt point.

Uhm, this is a BETA forum, if we can't provide feedback here that may or may not be valuable to the dev teams, then where would you suggest we do?
This is exactly where we should post our expectations, instead of garbling up a "general" forum with the wrong type of posts.

Beta feedback is not just about providing timings on feature X, or alerting about problems in feature Y. It's about providing feedback on the product as a whole, compared to your expectations. That is the ONLY way to get insights into what the users really want, and to choose what gets attention.

So please climb off your high horse, whining and complaining like a petulant child IS something I'd expect and hope to see here in the beta forum. If you can't stomach the wording, then I'd suggest you change your career.

Oh, and by the way, I'm a developer too by the way, not in BM either.
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Chad Capeland

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Patrick Strenk wrote:I really think this was in reference to the new 4k pocket cinema camera. In my opinion, you are taking it out of context. It also has nothing to do with installing the beta.

Grant said it while showing off using Fusion to do 3D titling in Resolve 15.

And I never said it was related to installing the beta.
Dan Sherman wrote:If 15 Beta doesn't work the way you want or think it should, don't whine and complain like a petulant child.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Dan Sherman

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Pedro Dias wrote:

Uhm, this is a BETA forum, if we can't provide feedback here that may or may not be valuable to the dev teams, then where would you suggest we do?
This is exactly where we should post our expectations, instead of garbling up a "general" forum with the wrong type of posts.

Beta feedback is not just about providing timings on feature X, or alerting about problems in feature Y. It's about providing feedback on the product as a whole, compared to your expectations. That is the ONLY way to get insights into what the users really want, and to choose what gets attention.

I highlighted the important section just for you, since you don't seem to understand the fundamental concept.

Their is a big difference between giving negative feedback, and being a little "expletive". I've given negative feedback here several times, and it looks like 1 or 2 of my complaints have been addressed in 15.

On the other side, I can remember several "Pro" users upgrading their systems with 14 betas and then figuratively shitting all over BM with inflammatory statements on the forum because the beta version cost them time, money, or made them look bad on a given project. It's completely moronic to use a beta for production work, so they have no one to blame but themselves. And no, I'm not one of those developers who believes we should jump through hoops to protect stupid users from themselves.

Pedro Dias wrote: If you can't stomach the wording, then I'd suggest you change your career.

I almost never have to deal with this in my work. But that's mainly because I'm not a push over people pleaser like so many developers. If you show up at my office door, you better have your ducks in a row, or I'll eat you alive.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Keep the subject matter on topic and about any potential issues/bugs you find. This is not the place for personal attacks and if they continue after this warning, a temporary/permanent ban will be implemented.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

John Tarvin

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Keep the subject matter on topic and about any potential issues/bugs you find. This is not the place for personal attacks and if they continue after this warning, a temporary/permanent ban will be implemented.

Thank you, Tony Rivera!
Win 10 pro, I7 Hex Core, 3.5Ghz, 32Gb, Nvidia GTX 770 4Gb
Mavic 2 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Sony AX100, Nikon D810

Johnny Farmfield

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Where is he whining or complaining? And you are not "blunt", you are simply obnoxious. Personally, if I was moderating here, I would have given you a week ban for that comment alone.

This is a support forum, so unless you can help, just ignore posts like this and focus on more important things - because the only thing you did in this thread is make life miserable for other people.

@Tony

The problem with this forum is in part that admins/moderators should have acted against behaviour like that of Dan here a long time ago, because obnoxious behaviour like this seem commonplace in this forum - and as a former TeamLeader for the Swedish Official Ubuntu LoCo, I have a fair bit of experience of handling this kind of issues.

You should really get a grip on that crap, because it's seriously unworthy for a major company to have people behave like this in their official support forum.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Jean Claude

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 pm

To the dangers of seeing all the anger of the world melt on me:
Thank you for completing in your signature your hardware specifications (at least).

It avoids having an answer that looks like: what are you talking about: you do not even have the same OS as me ... :mrgreen:

Without signature: I do not know what to do ... :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :roll:

EDIT :
It's been 10,999,999,999^99999 times that Team BMD kindly asks: what OS, what hardware, etc .... what GPU ... (but what patience !!)

for me it's the minimum to post in this forum!=> signature :?:

Johnny Farmfield

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 pm

If you are referring to me and my signature, I will supply the information of what OS I have problems on if/when I have problems, seeing I'm on multiple workstations running both Windows and Linux. ;)
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Return to DaVinci Resolve