RAW Fusion to Color Control

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timbutt2

RAW Fusion to Color Control

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 am

I have a curious question. Say I have two shots that I shot in RAW (Cinema DNG in this instance) and I wanted to combine them together in Fusion. I make a new Fusion Clip in the Resolve Timeline, do the merge of the two clips, and go to the color page. The RAW controls are greyed out. Is there still the power of the original RAW clips in the Fusion composition? Also, does the new Fusion Clip have the same bit depth as the original RAW files?

I already noticed that if I work in a 1920x1080 timeline and do the Fusion Clip there it is listed as Source Resolution of 1920x1080. Yet, if I change the Timeline Resolution to 3840x2160 the Fusion Clip also changes resolution. So is Fusion resolution agnostic?

Last, would it be better to make the RAW tab adjustments on the Color Page to the two clips I'd be merging before I create the Fusion Clip? Clearly if you do color correction before merge the grade transfers over to the Fusion page, but if you do color after the Fusion merge you can work in the Fusion page without seeing the color grade applied.

Thank you for any and all answers to these queries!
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Bryan Ray

Re: RAW Fusion to Color Control

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I already noticed that if I work in a 1920x1080 timeline and do the Fusion Clip there it is listed as Source Resolution of 1920x1080. Yet, if I change the Timeline Resolution to 3840x2160 the Fusion Clip also changes resolution. So is Fusion resolution agnostic?

I know absolutely nothing about the Color page, RAW, or the grading pipeline, but I can answer this small piece!

Yes, Fusion is resolution independent. Image dimensions and color depth are determined by the Background input of any Merge, Dissolve or ChannelBooleans node, such that the output can be a different format than the input. As long as the image from your MediaIn keeps going into Backgrounds all the way down the Flow, your MediaOut will have the same format.

If you change the dimensions of the clip coming into Fusion, that change will ripple down the Flow, potentially disrupting composites with other images of fixed size. Any node with a size determined by the project's Frame Format settings, though, like Background and Fast Noise, will (should, I haven't actually tested this in the context of Resolve) automatically adapt to the new size.

In addition, since most nodes measure their settings in normalized screen coordinates rather than pixels, most of your tools should also adapt automatically to a new format. Even filtering tools like Blur and Erode/Dilate behave themselves when you change the dimensions because their radius is a percentage of the screen width rather than a pixel radius.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chad Capeland

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:In addition, since most nodes measure their settings in normalized screen coordinates rather than pixels, most of your tools should also adapt automatically to a new format. Even filtering tools like Blur and Erode/Dilate behave themselves when you change the dimensions because their radius is a percentage of the screen width rather than a pixel radius.

With the changes to the GUI, it may be helpful to add visual notations to tools that do not follow this convention. Tools like Dis, RFlt, CFlt, etc..
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 4:44 pm

timbutt2 wrote:The RAW controls are greyed out. Is there still the power of the original RAW clips in the Fusion composition? Also, does the new Fusion Clip have the same bit depth as the original RAW files?

No and no. The output from Fusion will be an RGBA image with a higher bit depth than the raw.

timbutt2 wrote: Clearly if you do color correction before merge the grade transfers over to the Fusion page, but if you do color after the Fusion merge you can work in the Fusion page without seeing the color grade applied.

Yeah, that's a workflow issue that has a lot of us perplexed. The raw files need to be processed to linear color for work in Fusion and the color grade done afterwards but the raw processing is in the color tab and users may be defaulting to a non-linear color space for that.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve