Stop setting the audio sample rate when starting app

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve oakley

Stop setting the audio sample rate when starting app

PostWed May 09, 2018 11:25 pm

This is specific to my hardware usage - I'm using a tascam 20X20 USB audio interface. its locked to external word clock at 96K to match other audio hardware here. everything gets done at 96K - field recording on SD 663 thru in house recording / mixing. The tascam is set as system sound IO and resolve is set to use system sound. FR : directly support external audio interfaces !

when R15 or R14 for that matter starts up, it sets the audio hardware sample rate to 48K. that makes sense IF your only audio hardware is a BMD device limited to 44.1 or 48K, or the computer built in sound which could run at multiple rates is now set to 48K.

the problem is when you do this, I no longer have sound output because of the sample rate mismatch. instead I have set Audio Midi Setup to launch at startup and always have it open because some apps like R are always messing with the audio sample rate. I then manually reset the hardware setting back to 96K and all works fine. if you feed 48K into the tascam at 96K, it does a sample rate conversion on the fly and all is good. if you change the sample rate to 48K I get nothing because the hardware is still clock locked at 96K. STOP !!!!! PLEASE STOP DOING THIS !!!! even switching from desktop and back to app often triggers R to set the audio sample rate again. I can't say how many times a day I have to change my hardware settings back to 96K, but R is probably the biggest offender in making life miserable.

I'm sure I'm not the only one using a dedicated audio I/O because I need more I/O than BMD video hardware has, I need to work at higher sample rates than 48K. I highly suspect that BMD will also have their own audio only I/O as part of Fairlight which will do more than 48K too at some point... so you can fix this bug early ;) if you fix no other bugs I report ( outside of crashers ), please fix this one.

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Byron Dickens

Re: Stop setting the audio sample rate when starting app

PostThu May 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Unfortunately, I believe Resolve only handles 48 and 44.1K sample rates because those are the standards for delivery.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

steve oakley

PostThu May 10, 2018 5:13 pm

R is quite happy with 96K 24b source material - I'm using it every day. I'm mixing 48K camera audio, 96K SD recorder and music mixes all in one TL. R should also support 192k

S

Byron Dickens wrote:Unfortunately, I believe Resolve only handles 48 and 44.1K sample rates because those are the standards for delivery.
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Reynaud Venter

PostThu May 10, 2018 5:20 pm

steve oakley wrote:R is quite happy with 96K 24b source material
R should also support 192k
All source rates up to 384k are supported, and automatically downsampled to 48k.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

steve oakley

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 pm

audio shouldn't be downsampled to 48K. thats a hardware limitation specific to BMD video cards, but not one of most Mobo audio hardware these days, nor any modern audio interface in use. I'd suspect BMD will come along with their own audio interface in which case this will have to get fixed... so proper support of audio sample rates over 48K really needs to happen sooner rather than later.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve