Video Monitor LUT affects GUI, even when GUI set to No LUT

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mattwilliams2321

Video Monitor LUT affects GUI, even when GUI set to No LUT

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 pm

I've posted about this in the main resolve forum, but I just wanted to note it in the Resolve 15 Beta sub forum so hopefully it is taken note of when putting together beta 5.

I am using Windows 10, 64 bit. The below has been an issue in Resolve 15 beta 3 and beta 4.

Basically if I go to Project Settings and add a LUT to the Video Monitor Output (which runs off my Decklink 4K Mini card), and I select 'No LUT' for everything else including No LUT for the GUI, then it doesn't work. Whatever LUT I have selected for the Video Monitor also affects the GUI on my computer monitor.

It would seem this is a bug.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Video Monitor LUT affects GUI, even when GUI set to No L

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Multiple people seem to be complaining about this, but I don't see the issue with 15b4 on Mac or Windows.

By default, the Color Viewer and Scopes are set to use the Video Monitor LUT.

I assume you've made sure you've set the Color Viewer and Scopes to No LUT Selected?

What Color Science mode do you have selected?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

mattwilliams2321

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:20 pm

I have the Colour Viewer and Scopes set to No LUT, but despite this they display whatever LUT I have selected in the 3D Video Monitor Lookup section. See attached framegrab which also shows all my Colour Management settings and that No Lut is selected for the Viewer and Scopes.

The way I have it set up, I am correct in thinking the LUT on my reference monitor should not affect my GUI viewer or scopes?

NB - the LUT I have selected is just as an example, I have the same problem no matter what LUT I select.
Attachments
Resolve Colour Management Frame Grab.jpg
Resolve Colour Management Frame Grab.jpg (351.76 KiB) Viewed 8788 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 2:17 am

Make a simple 1 clip project with a Color Bar Generator that shows the issue (make the Generator a Compound Clip).

Do a Project Export and post the .drp file here, if you can, or provide a link to it.

There must be some other project setting making this happen, and hopefully having you project will point to what that is.
Dwaine Maggart

mattwilliams2321

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi, I did this and I tried attaching the .drp file, but apparently 'the extension drp is not allowed'. Can I email it to you instead?

The simple test project with one clip showed exactly the same issue.

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Put the drp on a file sharing site and post a link to it here.
Dwaine Maggart

mattwilliams2321

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 pm

This is a link to the project as requested:

http://jmp.sh/v/Z3L6qQpu21SjYMNdaJiZ

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:56 pm

That project here, on a Mac and a Windows system, is not affecting the Viewer/WFM when changing the Video Monitoring LUT.

Please select the "Create Diagnostic Log on Desktop" menu in the Resolve Help menu, and send a link to that.
Dwaine Maggart

mattwilliams2321

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 5:13 am

This is the log as requested. How very strange the issue doesn't present on your test systems, I can confirm it is still the same issue on my computer. Applying a LUT on the Video Monitor lookup table also shows the LUT on the Color viewer, and the viewer in the Edit screen and the scopes etc.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180608-060557.zip
(237.25 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 9:19 pm

What Windows 10 version are you using? As shown by the winver command?
Dwaine Maggart

mattwilliams2321

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Windows 10 (64 Bit) Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 5:21 am

Can you take a phone video of the you adding the lut, show the video monitor, UI viewer, scopes before, the as you add the lut and the settings for the different monitors, something strange is happening and we’d like to see how you get there.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

mattwilliams2321

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi, this is a video of what's happening as requested. I've plugged my decklink into a SmallHD 5" monitor and put it in front of the screen so you can see it all easily. The decklink would normally be plugged into my bigger reference monitor, but I experience the same issues. This is the link - http://jmp.sh/v/pL3rMXkm12NCDncng2fX

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 am

Thanks.

mattwilliams2321

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 10:33 am

Hi Peter and Dwaine, just to check - can you confirm that what's happening in the video (which is a demonstration of the issues I've been describing) isn't what's meant to happen, and isn't what happens when you do the same on your system? And if this is the case, do you have any initial thoughts on why this might be happening on my system? Thanks.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

There are valid reasons for what you see but not as default so I’m trying to see how you got there.
Can you post the exact Resolve version you are using, and another drp, with just one clip that shows the condition?

Once we work it out it will be obvious... I hope.

mattwilliams2321

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi, the version of Resolve I'm currently using is Davinci Resolve Studio 15 Version 15.0.0B.046. But it was the same with the non studio version, and the previous beta 3 version.

This is another 1 clip drp as requested, and it shows the same issues. Thanks.

http://jmp.sh/v/hiB4dgFbXksUUNDExcMU

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 3:13 am

Thanks. that helped
In preferences, user, playback settings, turn off 'Hide UI Overlays" and let me know.

mattwilliams2321

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am

Hi Peter, I have just tried turning off "Hide UI Overlays" and the issue remains.

NB - I think the only reason I had "Hide UI Overlays" turned on in the first place was whilst trying to originally find a solution to this I was going through old threads on this forum and I found people experiencing similar issues with earlier versions of Resolve and the solution seemed to have been to turn on "Hide UI overlays for optimized playback" which was in [Project Settings > Master Settings > Video Monitoring] in the early beta versions of Resolve 14, and then in the later beta versions of Resolve 14 the option moved to [Preferences > User > UI > "minimize interface updates during playback"] and now I think it's the same option in [Preferences > User > Playback Settings]. As I say I have tried it with this option selected and deselected and the issue remains. Thanks.

mattwilliams2321

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 1:53 am

Just reading some more about other peoples experiences with this in other forums and in some YouTube comments - it seems the issue I've been describing was also an issue for people with Resolve 14 (but I think in Resolve 14 "Hide UI Overlays" was a fix in a way it doesn't seem to be in Resolve 15). But from what I can tell wasn't an issue at all in Resolve 12.5. Does that tie in with your feedback on the issue?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 am

It's quite surprising that didn't fix it for you.

Enabling Hide UI Overlays on my Windows 10 15b4 Studio system with a GTX1050Ti, does indeed create the issue you report. Disabling Hide UI Overlays makes the issue go away.

In Resolve Preferences, User, click the 3 dot menu in the upper right hand corner, and if you don't already have a Preset created, select Save User Preference as Preset and give it a name.

Then, again in the 3 dot menu, select that name, and select Export Preset.

Send us the exported preset file.
Dwaine Maggart

mattwilliams2321

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 10:38 am

Hi, this is a link to the preset file as requested - http://jmp.sh/v/tuztun0CUKbwvR8eQjUX

I should mention, I did always have "Hide UI Overlays" deselected before, the only reason it was selected was I had read in other forums that selecting it did solve the issue in Resolve 14, but not it seems in Resolve 15.

I should also say that I have made very few changes to the User and System settings.

I hope the preset file helps throw some light on whats causing the issue. Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 12:36 am

I tested your "Resolve Project Test2" project and your User Preferences on 2 different Windows systems, one with a DeckLink card and one without, in case that mattered, and I am not able to see the issue.

The only way I can see the issue is to enable "Hide UI Overlays" in Preferences.

Perhaps Peter has another idea.
Dwaine Maggart

mattwilliams2321

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi Dwaine, thanks for your feedback. I'm just wondering where we can go from here? The issue is still a problem with my system and I would love a solution. I know from reading other forums etc that it does effect other peoples' systems as well.

I guess if the issue is not presenting on your Windows systems then it must be something to do with how I, and others, have our systems setup/configured? I'm no diagnostician and non too familiar with what computer systems might cause conflict with other systems or software etc. So perhaps if I tell you more about how I have my system setup, might that help you with working out what might cause issues? I have a 3 monitor setup, with my desktop extended over all three monitors, and each monitor is 4K and scaled within the windows OS to 150% (this was the default chosen by the OS when Windows was installed). I have a nVidia 1070 card. I have Premiere on my system. Is there anything else I can tell you about my system that might cause this behaviour in Resolve?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Are you running Resolve in Dual Screen mode then?
Dwaine Maggart

mattwilliams2321

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 pm

I have run it in dual screen mode in the past but not for a while - I'm mainly just one screen.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 7:34 am

Ah, let’s physically remove two UI monitors and check. If that works add the second.

mattwilliams2321

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 4:41 pm

That worked! I disconnected 2 of my 3 computer monitors, so it was just my computer monitor and my reference monitor connected, then opened the resolve project and now everything works as it should. I apply a LUT to the Video Monitor and it only appears on the video monitor, not on the UI or scopes. So this is great! I've since tried physically reconnecting all my other monitors and even with all the monitors connected now everything is working as it should. So, presumably disconnecting the additional monitors must have changed something, which has carried over even when reconnected. Do you know why this might possibly be the case? That would seem to be the resolution to this problem!

PS - I've another query, which I've posted as a new topic so as not to lose the focus of this thread. I;d love to hear your thoughts on this other issue - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75359

Thanks again for your help on this one!

mattwilliams2321

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 2:30 pm

I thought it was too good to be true. Unfortunately, it's back to the same problem - I apply a LUT to the reference monitor, no LUT selected for UI and scopes and yet the LUT appears on the reference monitor, the UI and the scopes. I don't know why it's back to this. I've tried doing what I did before - I've tried disconnecting the other monitors in Display settings and restarting, I've tried physically disconnecting the other monitors so it's just the one computer monitor and the reference monitor, and the original issue remains.

I've tried updating to beta 5, and the same problem.

So, I don't know why this problem is back. It was encouraging when I originally disconnected the other monitors that that fixed it, but I was worried at the time I didn't know why that should have helped. The fact the problem is back, and disconnecting the monitors as I did last time doesn't fix it, makes me think it is something else causing the issue, and the original disconnecting of the monitors fix only worked for some other reason.

So, I'm still looking for a solution.

(PS - I've just bought a new 4K reference monitor, but switching back to my HD reference monitor exhibits the same issues).

Peter Fizgal

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm not sure I'm allowed to post this here, since I am using 14.3 but I have this exact same issue.

I'm using a Mac, so it's not only Windows related it seems.
And like Matt, none of the given solutions work for me.

I'm using a Mini Monitor 4K, and besides my external monitor, only my timelime viewer is affected.
The media viewer, timeline-source viewer, color viewer, and deliver viewer are not affected by the monitor LUT, but the timeline viewer is.
Disabling the UI overlays doesn't change anything.
I have a single monitor connected to the Mac, and a reference monitor connected to the Mini Monitor 4K.
Mac Pro 2019 - 12core 3.3 - 48Gb Ram - All SSD - AMD Radeon VII - macOS 10.15.2

Peter Fizgal

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 8:12 am

A quick followup to my previous post.

I have now installed beta 5, and the issue remains the same.

My setup :
Mac Pro 2010, 12 core, 32MB, SSD drives, 1080ti GUI, video monitor 4k.

To Matt, since we are the only ones seeing this on completely different systems, could it be that this is not a bug, but that we are doing something wrong ?

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 11:56 am

I can confirm this behavior on an iMac with b5.

I used an extreme LUT to make it clear:

https://www.drop box.com/s/2nrvn38n613lz09/LUT-Bug.png?dl=0
Last edited by Uli Plank on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

mattwilliams2321

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi Peter, assuming you only have the LUT applied to the 'Video Monitor' and 'No LUT' applied to the UI and scopes settings in colour management then I think it is a bug. With Resolve set up in this way it's simply not performing as it should, it is not following the settings dictated to it in 'colour management.

We are certainly not the only ones experiencing the issue - as I say there are people experiencing the same issue in some YouTube posts and also in some other similar posts on this forum (though those were mainly concerned with Resolve 14). I think in Resolve 14 "Hide UI Overlays" was a fix in a way it doesn't seem to be in Resolve 15). But from what I can tell it wasn't an issue at all in Resolve 12.5.

I have also tried installing Resolve 15 fresh on a clean OS install on another boot drive on my system and without changing any settings (so using the defaults) and experienced the same issues I've been reporting.

It is very frustrating - I need to have a LUT on my reference monitor in order to apply the calibration for it, but applying this LUT blows out my scopes and my UI which makes grading going inbetween screens very tough!

UPDATE - thanks Uli for also sharing your experiences with this.

Uli Plank

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 12:31 pm

For me, the phenomenon affects the viewers in Edit and Fairlight, but not in Color.

Plus, some LUTs affect the scopes (floating window) in Edit too, but not all. It’s a bit irregular…

Edit: My bad, it always affects the scope in Edit once I have moved the playhead.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Peter Fizgal

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Matt, you are correct.
This doesn't seem like we're missing something.

"Hide UI overlays" didn't help for my system on version 14 though.

I confirm what Uli sais, the timeline viewer in edit, viewer in fairlight and scopes are affected.
All other viewers seem to be unafected.

I'd love to contribute to get this bug squashed, Dwaine & Peter, if there's anything I can do to help, please do tell.

mattwilliams2321

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 10:47 am

Well that is very interesting, I can confirm what both Uli and Peter are experiencing is also the case with me - that in Resolve 15 beta 5 applying the LUT to the video monitor also applies the LUT to the UI in edit and fairlight but NOT to the UI in colour.

I believe this is different to previous versions where it was also applying the LUT to the UI in colour. Note that if I do select "Hide UI Overlays" in preferences then the LUT is also incorrectly applied to the UI in Colour, as Dwaine had been experiencing, but with this option deselected the LUT is only incorrectly applied in edit and fairlight as explained, and as Uli and Peter have also found.

Peter Fizgal

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 7:17 am

Just a quick note, I just installed beta6, and this issue still remains.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 9:36 am

Can you export a single clip HD project that has the issue and post the drp here.
ill take another look but its challenging to repo

Peter Fizgal

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 am

Hello Peter, thanks for looking into this.

Here is a link to the drp :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34d9njg56k72t ... m.drp?dl=0

And here's a link to the LUT, maybe the problem is with the LUT ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/est72ptx8gkcp ... e.zip?dl=0

Would it help you if I install teamviewer ?

mattwilliams2321

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 11:45 am

Ah, that's a shame - I was excited to see there was a new beta and had hoped that might fix the issue (though I didn't see anything about it in the changes notes).

From my own experience it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the LUT itself - I've tried a variety of different LUTs including the ones included in Resolve, and my own that I have made in DisplayCal.

Anyway, it's great that Peter's back on the case and hopefully with more of us describing the same issue, on different systems (PC and Mac) that might help figure this out?

Peter Fizgal

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Don't want to be annoying, but the issue is still there in beta 7...

Kahn10

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:48 am

The problem persists in 15b8.

Peter Fizgal

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm

It also persists in the final release...

I'm afraid that as Peter & Dwaine are unable to replicate this bug, it will not be fixed... unless someone figures out what and why this problem exists on only a handfull of systems.

Peter Cave

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:39 am

I have the same behaviour. Edit, Color, Fairlight & Deliver pages all show the effect of the LUT applied to the Video Monitor in the Color Management settings. It has always been like this for me with every version of Resolve. If I set No LUT for all other options it still affects the UI viewers.
Adding a Color Viewer LUT does nothing to any Color Viewer.
I think it's time for BMD to have a closer look at this.

Today I turned off overlays as recommended by BMD and the problem went away. Weird as last time I tried it it did not work. I suspect that there may be some odd behaviour with this function depending upon other options set.
Last edited by Peter Cave on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

mattwilliams2321

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 9:25 pm

As the person who started this thread I feel I should probably chime in on where I'm at, just in case anyone reading this in the future thinks I found a fix - I didn't. In the end I just decided the only way to get this to work was to get an external LUT box. I'm actually using the 4K Mini Decklink card with the SDI to HDMI 6G box that you can load a LUT onto, and is reasonably affordable.

mattwilliams2321

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:57 am

Peter Cave, for the last few versions selecting 'disable UI overlays' has resolved the problem on the Color page and the scopes, but the problem has persisted on the other UI pages (Edit, Fairlight, Deliver). Are you now finding that disabling overlays is resolving the issue for all these pages as well?

Peter Cave

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:46 am

mattwilliams2321 wrote:Peter Cave, for the last few versions selecting 'disable UI overlays' has resolved the problem on the Color page and the scopes, but the problem has persisted on the other UI pages (Edit, Fairlight, Deliver). Are you now finding that disabling overlays is resolving the issue for all these pages as well?

You are correct. The LUT still affects the Edit and Fairlight pages. Deliver is ok.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Johan Fleetwood

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 am

Having the same Gui/Scope issue here, and noticed something that might be related to this problem.

With 1D/3D Video Monitor Lookup Table set to 'No LUT selected', switching 1D/3D Scopes between 'Use monitor selection' and 'No LUT selected' changes the scope levels slightly.

This was observed on two different windows machines:
DR Non-Studio 15.00.086, NO decklink card, GTX750, and
DR Studio 15.00.086, Decklink mini monitor, GTX1080

It seems the 'signal path' somehow isn't the same, and perhaps this is related to the Gui/Scope LUT issue?
Johan Fleetwood
Colorist | Editor | Post Production Consultant
- Win10pro, RTX 2080, Decklink, Mini Panel, Speed Editor, Ample RAM & SSD storage -

Gonzalo Moreno

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm seeing the same here
I used to fix this Disabling Hide UI Overlays, but now it's not working
I'm on DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.1.1 on macOS 10.13.6
Studio 18.6.4
- Asus b550-e AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 64GB DDR4 nVidia 1080Ti W11 Pro
- Mac Studio M2 MAX 32GB
- HP Omen 2017 Laptop Intel i7 8750H 32GB DDR4 nVidia 1070Q W11 Pro

NessTea

PostSat May 08, 2021 1:57 am

Found this thread because I am also STILL experiencing this exact same issue in 2021 on Resolve 17

Resolve Studio 17.1.1

BM Mini Monitor

Mac Pro Trash Can 10.15.7
-3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
-32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
-AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

How is this still a problem?
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve