Solved - Choppy Playback Of WAV files. Ubuntu 18.04LTS

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chrisrandall

Solved - Choppy Playback Of WAV files. Ubuntu 18.04LTS

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm experiencing choppy playback of WAV files (16bit / 24bit 44.1 & 48kHz). Via the Media page and Timeline onwards. Just previewing on the media page gives choppy playback no other files involved.

The machine is used for audio production with Mixbus (Ardour) recording, mixing, mastering etc without issue, loaded with plugins and multiple tracks it performs just fine.

I assume this is just a bug in the new alsa integration.

Audio device is a Presonus Audiobox iTwo USB. Onboard sound device is disabled but tested that with same result. Decklink Mini Monitor is installed and enabled by default. Up to date driver.

The weird part is that when I look at Ubuntu's "Sound Preferences" dialogue under the 'Applications' tab it shows Resolve is using an alsa plugin but it's flashing repeatedly on and off.

I can get smooth playback if I connect a Bluetooth dongle to the machine and audiosink to a Bluetooth speaker the other side of the room via Ubuntu's Bluetooth Manager.!!

And there is no flashing on and off of Resolves Alsa plugin on the 'Applications' tab of Ubuntu's Sound Preferences dialogue like there is with the Audiobox and internal sound device.
Last edited by chrisrandall on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Rodrigues

Re: Choppy Playback Of WAV files. Ubuntu 18.04LTS

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 8:25 am

Do you have a way to adjust the audio hardware buffer for your interface? Try increase it.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

chrisrandall

Re: Choppy Playback Of WAV files. Ubuntu 18.04LTS

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks for the reply. The other applications I use set the buffer, sample rate etc in the hardware device.

I've tried setting what Blackmagic call the Block Size in Resolve under 'Configuration' to 256 even 512 and saved the settings but makes no difference and when I go back into the configurations Block Size has been reset to 'Auto'. So not sure if it's having any effect.

chrisrandall

Re: SOLVED - Choppy Playback Of WAV files. Ubuntu 18.04LTS

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm

So it turns out to be a Pulseaudio latency problem. If I disable Pulseaudio and set the Presonus as default ALSA device I get smooth playback.

If I have Pulseaudio running and try to manually set the audio device in Resolve configurator or choose default I get choppy playback because Pulseaudio is getting in between Resolve and the audio device.

Would be useful to be able to set the audio device to use, the sample rate, buffer etc from within Resolve like other applications that need specific audio settings like Mixbus DAW, Ardour and others.

Return to DaVinci Resolve