Optimized Media Not Working in Beta 1, 2, 3 & 4

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarkCaldwell

PostWed May 22, 2019 11:55 am

I've been testing to check if the latest beta had fixed this bug for me but unfortunately it's still present:

The optimized media can be generated on my system and it's very much seen in the Bin that it's been generated but then Resolve 16 never actually uses it for anything, even when selected too. That includes both playback and export.

The optimized media is being generated from Red 8K footage in a Windows 10 environment and I've tried both DNxHR and Cineform codecs with different compression levels across internal and external hard drives using a root level file structure.

Curiously the Render Cache files can be generated and used for both playback or export absolutely fine.
Director of Photography
www.mark-caldwell.com

MarkCaldwell

Re: Optimized Media Not Working in Beta 1, 2, 3 & 4

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 12:30 am

Just to say I've widely tested the optimized media functions again in Beta 4 and it's still not working for me.
Director of Photography
www.mark-caldwell.com

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:56 am

Obvious question, but I must ask. In the Playback menu, you have enabled "Use optimised media when available" checkbox right?
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

MarkCaldwell

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:Obvious question, but I must ask. In the Playback menu, you have enabled "Use optimised media when available" checkbox right?

Hi ya, yes I definitely have it switched on for both playback and export. I've tried toggling it on/off, restarting and any other combo of that to see if it will trigger, but after generating optimized media, it then just ignores it and keeps using the R3D files on the main Raid.

Render Cache works fine for both playback & export and Optimized Media was working in Resolve 15 but as I get no errors I don't know of anything I can share that would help understand the problem?
Director of Photography
www.mark-caldwell.com

Daz Wood

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 1:10 pm

MarkCaldwell wrote:
Rohit Gupta wrote:Obvious question, but I must ask. In the Playback menu, you have enabled "Use optimised media when available" checkbox right?

Hi ya, yes I definitely have it switched on for both playback and export. I've tried toggling it on/off, restarting and any other combo of that to see if it will trigger, but after generating optimized media, it then just ignores it and keeps using the R3D files on the main Raid.

Render Cache works fine for both playback & export and Optimized Media was working in Resolve 15 but as I get no errors I don't know of anything I can share that would help understand the problem?

can you change the location where the Optimized Media files are stored and see it it makes any difference?
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

MarkCaldwell

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Daz Wood wrote:can you change the location where the Optimized Media files are stored and see it it makes any difference?

Yes, tested all that across two systems, it doesn't matter if its a raid setup, SSD, internal or external, whether its the only storage location you list or if you list them all in preferences. Nothing has altered the fact that it will generate the optermized media and then ignore it unfortunately.

To be fair tho, it also shouldn't be this difficult to make it work and it hasn't been in previous versions of Resolve, I just don't know what I can report to BMD that would help them trace the issue tho.
Director of Photography
www.mark-caldwell.com

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:26 pm

I only ever had this with a single older project where it , after an upgrade of resolve , did not want to use optimised media whatever i tried for media with a specific source codec, while other source codecs worked fine.
But when i created a new project with the same media it worked fine.
Can you check with a simple new project and just a single file if it works or not ?
Could be some crazy project corruption / incompatibility between versions.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Return to DaVinci Resolve