Embed timelines doesn't use full resolution

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kristoffer Laurin-Racicot

Embed timelines doesn't use full resolution

PostThu May 23, 2019 9:14 pm

I was so pleased to hear that Resolve 16 would allow timelines to have different resolutions. It would finally allow me to have a 4k timeline that I would put into a 1080p timeline and make some zoom effects.

I tried it in 16 beta 1, 2 and 3 and I'm kind of scared that this will not make it into the final version... So I'm not sure to fully understand how useful it is to have multiple timelines with multiple resolutions at this time if we can't embed these timelines together and have them kept their resolution.

Here's what seem to be broken:

Scenario A: Everything is sharp
  • A 2160p source clip
  • A 480p timeline in which I added my 2160p source clip then zoom it 4.5x (so it goes to 100%)

Scenario B: All blurry
  • A 2160p timeline in which I added my 2160p source clip
  • A 480p timeline in which I added my 2160p timeline then zoom it 4.5x (so it goes to 100%)

WHY!? :cry:
Attachments
post.jpg
post.jpg (937.13 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Last edited by Kristoffer Laurin-Racicot on Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Cave

Re: Embed timelines doesn't use full resolution

PostFri May 24, 2019 12:19 am

I just completed a series of tests to see if I could find a way to fix this issue.
This is a real issue. Embedding a timeline of a higher resolution into a timeline of lower resolution results in a softening of the image when it is scaled back up using transform controls.
I tried every combination of project settings, timeline settings and input/output scaling.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jim Simon

PostFri May 24, 2019 2:16 pm

In scenario B, you have to scale the clips in their original timeline. It's just how things work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Kristoffer Laurin-Racicot

PostFri May 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Jim Simon wrote:In scenario B, you have to scale the clips in their original timeline. It's just how things work.

I understand this is how things work at this time but... isn't it wrong/useless?

After Effects, Premiere and Final Cut keeps full resolution in the same scenarios, why not Resolve?

Tom Early

PostFri May 24, 2019 5:02 pm

resolve scales everything to fit (with crop I think) when it comes to embedding timelines, so it's useless for this purpose at the moment. You cannot even override with the Inspector controls.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Return to DaVinci Resolve