Paste bug when working with markers - DR 16b3 Studio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kye Leslie

Paste bug when working with markers - DR 16b3 Studio

PostFri May 31, 2019 9:45 am

Hi all!
Loving 16b3 but ran into this strange bug.

To recreate:
  • create a timeline with multiple clips and multiple markers
  • Cut a clip (I used ripple cut, but I don't think it matters)
  • If you go to the Edit menu then all is well and you get all the paste options
  • if you show Edit Index, and change it to showing All Markers, and click on a marker in the list, the playhead will go to that marker in the timeline, so far so good, however..
  • Now the Edit menu disables all the paste options except Paste Attributes, and the paste shortcut keys also do nothing
  • if it's in the error state described above and you click anywhere in the Timeline (eg, on a blank space) then the paste options all come back and the paste shortcut keys also resume working
  • if it's in the error state and you click in the Media Pool the Paste option is now available (as well as Paste Attributes), but does nothing when selected

I'm sure there are other complications to this, but I would expect to be able to Paste in the normal selection of ways even if I've clicked somewhere else in the UI.

I'm on OSX 10.13.6 and DR 16b3 Studio

Thanks everyone for the hard work - Resolve just gets better and better with every release! :)

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

Re: Paste bug when working with markers - DR 16b3 Studio

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 7:41 am

Its a focus issue. You need to click on the timeline again in order to get the paste commands active again.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Kye Leslie

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 4:46 am

Thanks Rohit, I figured it was.

I'm not that clear on if you think it's a bug or a user issue? I haven't loaded 16b4 yet, so maybe it's already been addressed?

My thinking is that you're moving clips around, you find some clips, highlight them, Ripple-Cut, then you click on a Marker in the Edit Index panel and would expect to be able to paste. I can't think of any situation where pasting clips from a timeline into the Edit Index panel makes any sense.
Is there any context where pasting anything into the Edit Index window makes sense?

I would imagine that this method of sorting clips would help assistant editors quite a bit with sorting footage, unless there's a better way I'm not aware of?

Peter Cave

PostTue Jun 11, 2019 12:40 am

It’s a user issue. If you want to paste clips into a timeline the timeline must have focus or be the active pane you are pasting into. The edit index is like a separate window with it’s own set of available menu items.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve