BRAW Workflow in Resolve 16 Studio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Juergen Engelke

BRAW Workflow in Resolve 16 Studio

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 am

Hi,
I have my first BRAW Timelline UHD Film CQ Q0 Window ready to export as my Master Copy.
What Codec preserves best the Quality of the RAW Clips ?
Triple boot Win10-Pro| Resolve Studio | Decklink 4K Extreme 12G | NVIDIA GTX1080 | INTEL ARC A770 | SSD-RAID | HDD-RAID | 20 logical cores | 2 x 10GbE | 64GB RAM | on 10GbE Media sharing NW | 10Gbps NAS | BMD Cloud Store 10Gbps

Jim Simon

Re: BRAW Workflow in Resolve 16 Studio

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:22 pm

DNxHR 444 12 bit would work well, found under MXF OP1a.

Cineform RGB 16 bit would be good as well, found under QuickTime.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 pm

The highest quality export formats available in Resolve will exceed the inherent quality of braw -- you'll gain nothing but increased file size by using them. Even the observable difference between Prores Lt and an uncompressed format will be vanishingly small. The display medium may not even allow for such distinctions to survive. Youtube and vimeo certainly won't.

Where do you intend to show the material? If it's not a big cinema, I wouldn't worry.

Juergen Engelke

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks for your answers.
The idea is to save a Master Copy with the best quality one can get from the BRAW Clips.
I suspect the best quality would be if I could export it with a BRAW Codec ?
Am I wrong ?

Regards
Juergen
Triple boot Win10-Pro| Resolve Studio | Decklink 4K Extreme 12G | NVIDIA GTX1080 | INTEL ARC A770 | SSD-RAID | HDD-RAID | 20 logical cores | 2 x 10GbE | 64GB RAM | on 10GbE Media sharing NW | 10Gbps NAS | BMD Cloud Store 10Gbps

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Exporting BRAW just isn't an option, and likely won't be any time soon.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 pm

If what you really want is your original media, but trimmed to reflect only the footage used in the edited program, you can trim braw via Media Management, and output braw. The result is a digital copy of the original, but trimmed.

But these braw clips won't contain any project-specific alterations or color correction you may have performed. That information would be contained in the project file.

"Master copy" does not explain what your purpose is. The usual "master copy" is exactly what you have now: the original camera files, or backups of the original camera files.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 8:56 pm

John Paines wrote:The usual "master copy" is exactly what you have now: the original camera files

I disagree. A Master usually refers to a high quality version of the finished edit, from which various deliverables may be derived.

I think the aforementioned DNx and Cineform options are best.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 pm

The OP declines to reveal what he intends the master for, so this contributor surmised that he actually means something other than finished/graded "master copy" of the final program.

But we're all left to speculate, since he won't actually come out and say what he wants or intends to do.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 9:45 pm

He's got a timeline ready to export as a Master copy. I think that says pretty clear what he intends.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Juergen Engelke

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 am

Jim Simon wrote:
John Paines wrote:The usual "master copy" is exactly what you have now: the original camera files

I disagree. A Master usually refers to a high quality version of the finished edit, from which various deliverables may be derived.

I think the aforementioned DNx and Cineform options are best.

Exact that is what I mean.

Return to DaVinci Resolve