EGPU Poor Performance in 16 vs 15.

• Author

audiovisual

EGPU Poor Performance in 16 vs 15.

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 7:03 pm

I just got a SONNET EGPU Breakaway Box with an AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 GPU. Simply connecting it and opening Resolve, it showed the GPU as a selection which I did check the box, but the GPU History activity monitor never showed it being used no matter what I tried for OpenCL, Metal, Manual, Auto. Simply having the EGPU caused all my cached playback to run at like 19FPS with dropped frames. The audio was off sync. I ran benchmarks tests to determine my EGPU is funtioning correctly. It took a bit of troubleshooting to figure out I need to tell the application executable to Prefer Ext GPU under Finder/Get Info. Once I did this, Resolve started using the WX 9100 and the Radeon 560 disappeared under OpenCL unless I chose Metal.

Now having the Prefer Ext GPU checked and running resolve, the FPS playback performance dropped from 19FPS to 15FPS and this time using strictly the WX9100.

Normally, my Macbook Pro has AMD Radeon Pro 560 GPU can Render cache and play back my BRAW 3:1 4.6K on my UHD timeline 24FPS without dropped frames just fine. The moment I load Resolve with the EGPU attached, it drops to 14.5-15 fps with just a bare clip and no adjustments. After Generating Optimized Media, setting Render Cache to User and clicking Render Cache Color Output on the clip with some simple RGB Boosts, color wheel changes and curves, it hits about 4.5-7 fps playback while rendering. Once its rendered the cache, I play back and hit 15.5-16fps constantly dropping frames and chopping audio.

Now.....

After uninstalling Beta 16 4, I installed the latest version of Resolve 15 Studio, created a new Database etc.

The EGPU with WX 9100 set as primary plays back the same BRAW clip at 24FPS with no dropped frames. Then after applying RGB, Curve and Wheel Adjustments, Adding another Node with a Film Look LUT blended in and another Node with Sharpness, the playback was still 24FPS while it was rendering the cache in live playback. It was fantastic!

Normal playback after the cache rendered was 24FPS every time. No issues at all. Resolve Studio 15 works great with the EGPU.

At first I was scared my EGPU was a huge waste of money for my Macbook. But it turns out its only when used on Resolve 16 Beta.

Something to look at.

Danofrench

Re: EGPU Poor Performance in 16 vs 15.

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 am

Hey,

I just got the SONNET EGPU Breakaway Box with and the AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 GPU.

Got the same issue BUT I'm running Davinci Resolve 15.... any clue why? I see little or no activity on on the card when playing footage etc. and frame rates are the same as when running with the internal laptop graphics card.

I've got a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Daniel

audiovisual

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 pm

Daniel, one thing I had to do was to find the executable for Resolve, and I believe right click to Get Info and click the box to tell it to prefer EGPU. Then it will show the EGPU card and your GPU Usage will show up. Again, it only works properly for me in Resolve 15.

Janis Lionel

PostThu Dec 26, 2019 10:41 am

I get very bad eGPU performance in Resolve 16 with my new Vega 64...has this been addressed yet? Googling around I found quite some topics on performance issues with eGPU + Davinci, which is kind of ironic since they produce their own eGPU...

When I run Benchmarks like heaven, the eGPU will be maxed out. I know benchmarks work differently in accessing the GPU, but the eGPU Performance is so underwhelming, that I cannot believe everything is right within DR.
--
Windows 10 / i4930k @4.3Ghz / 32GB RAM / GTX 1080 / 12TB RAID 0 (4 x 3 TB) / Mini Monitor 4K / Eizo CG247x / Mainly working with CDNG 4:1

Return to DaVinci Resolve Beta Feedback