Project crashes on open.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nathan Morgan

Project crashes on open.

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 4:57 am

Hey all,

I have a project that we recently upgraded to 16. While editing one of the fancy new OFX keyframes the program crashed. The problem is though that we can no longer open the project. The program will crash every time we attempt to open it. We have a backup so it is not the end of the world, but wondering if there is any way to load a project without any timelines loaded something similar to how on the Avid you can hold down Alt when opening a project.

Any ideas are welcome.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Project crashes on open.

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:40 am

Could you post a link to the DRP please?

What OFX were you using when you experienced the issue?

Thanks
Shrinivas

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 3:48 pm

I can't provide the .drp as in addition to crashing on export it will also hard crash anytime I try to export the project.

I was attempting to animate the blur parameter on a Directional blur that had been applied to an adjustment layer when the original crash happened.

I have attached the crash log if that helps at all.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20190715-084335.zip
(116.94 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Desktop Video 12.0

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 4:42 pm

I think I have managed to replicate the bug (I turned Live Save off so that I can send you the file pre crash)

In the project I have attached. Click on the adjustment layer and select the directional blur as the graph you want to view / modify. Then attempt to modify the parameters. This sends my computer to a hard crash. I have tested with a number of FX and they all seem to crash under similar circumstances. I have also sent this to the support team.
Trims.drp.zip
(349.84 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Desktop Video 12.0

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 4:42 pm

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20190715-093701.zip
(138.24 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
And here is an updated crash log.
Desktop Video 12.0

Nathan Morgan

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 4:20 pm

I was able to do a little more testing yesterday. I am able to recreate the bug on multiple machines. It seems to only be present if you set the keyframes and then show the graph. If you expose the graph before setting keyframes then the program will behave normally.

I have included some videos of the behavior which I have sent to the support team. I don't know if you are able to access that info but if you are they are tied to Ticket ID: VYP-141-83190.
Desktop Video 12.0

ritch1337

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Could you post a link to the DRP please?

What OFX were you using when you experienced the issue?

Thanks
Shrinivas

Hello Dear Shrinivas Ramani,

I have same problem with different OFX. I applied prism blur on a clip. Then I open curve editor. After selecting abberation distance of prism blur and adding first keyframe in curve editor, my DR crashes. Now I cannot open that project and also cant export it too. In my case it is worse, because I don't have autosave on.

What now? I have more thank week spent on this project with fusion animactions and video editng. If I'll able to remove prism blur from first track, or go one step back - everything will be solved, but I cant :/

I'll go try open it up with another beta.

Have a nice day
Radek Richter
CEO of the rvisual s.r.o.

Windows 10 Pro

- i9-10980XE (18 cores)
- 2x RTX 2080 Ti (24GB in total)
- 128 GB of ram

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 1:38 am

Assuming you are using the default "Local Database" disk database, find your project folder in the Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects folder, and provide a link to the Project.db file in that folder.

If you were ever using a Resolve version earlier than 16, then the disk database should be located here:

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database

If Resolve 16 is the only version you've ever had on the system, the disk database will be here:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Resolve Disk Database

Where <your user name> is your Windows login name.

The database location can also be seen in the Resolve Project Manager Databases list area, if you enable the Detailed Information button (the little i in a circle).
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

ritch1337

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Assuming you are using the default "Local Database" disk database, find your project folder in the Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects folder, and provide a link to the Project.db file in that folder.

If you were ever using a Resolve version earlier than 16, then the disk database should be located here:

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database

If Resolve 16 is the only version you've ever had on the system, the disk database will be here:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Resolve Disk Database

Where <your user name> is your Windows login name.

The database location can also be seen in the Resolve Project Manager Databases list area, if you enable the Detailed Information button (the little i in a circle).

Hi Dear Dwaine Maggart,

one more thanks, but I sent wrong project to you (deleted reply) and I just started with new one. Sorry for that. This project have time and I'll do it better and of course with autosave on.

Have a nice day!
Radek Richter
CEO of the rvisual s.r.o.

Windows 10 Pro

- i9-10980XE (18 cores)
- 2x RTX 2080 Ti (24GB in total)
- 128 GB of ram

Nathan Morgan

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Sadly I am on a postgresql.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Desktop Video 12.0

Return to DaVinci Resolve