Performance Query

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

infotechstudio

Performance Query

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 10:44 am

As a new user to Resolve I’m trying to understand the performance settings as my iMac Pro with Vega 64 and 64Gb of RAM is exporting at 1.5-2.0 frames a second and looking at iStat the CPU is not being used at all during rendering. Is there something I can do to change this or is it a case of all rendering is GPU only?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Performance Query

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:00 am

All image processing is in GPU and the CPUs are used for codec I/O and UI etc.

You did not specify your source or render codec, disk system, the grades or Fusion effects applied so its a but hard to advise, but if you use ProRes HD for source and render codec your rate should be faster than real time.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Harold Tomlinson

Re: Performance Query

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 pm

I don't think any of the performance settings will alter your delivery. I think they mostly give you good performance during editing by sacrificing quality. In the delivery job you can tell it to use optimized media and to avoid re-encoding (I think that was what it was) which would speed up delivery if you have optimized media generated. This is probably most useful if you come from a relatively compute intensive codec. I don't know since I don't have a problem delivering h.265, h.264, or BRAW quickly unless I use Neat Video or Fusion within Resolve.

The more important question to me is: what are you doing that you only deliver at 2 frames per second? That sounds like you have the media on a slow external drive, Neat Video noise reduction, or some Fusion with 2D text. What is your source media format and what is the format of your delivery?

If it is not a finished product, I usually turn off any heavy effects that are not needed at the time and deliver in an easy and light format like the Vimeo or YouTube presents at 1080p. I think those two limit the bit rate so the files are small and run pretty quickly both in the delivery and in Fusion Studio.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve