Subtitles not rendering on Davinci Resolve 16

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

QuickBits

Subtitles not rendering on Davinci Resolve 16

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 1:11 am

Hey!
I'm currently using Davinci Resolve 16, and just finished one of my projects. When I tried to render it, the subtitles I added in didn't render with it. It shows within the "Deliver" tab, but not within the render. It also shows within the Edit and Cut tabs.
I'm rendering YouTube at 1920x1080 HD, Mp4, H.264, Mai n1 (Stereo), and AAC.

I'm relatively new to this software (Only used about 5 times on two different projects,) and new to editing, so I don't know if I'm missing something or if its a bug.
I wish you have a great day!

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Subtitles not rendering on Davinci Resolve 16

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 am

There are different ways of exporting a subtitle depending on what your workflow is.

On the left pane (Render Settings), check the 'Export subtitles' section first, select the subtitle and set the other export options. Some options like subtitle embedding depend on your codec choice. This is explained in detail in the Davinci Resolve manual

mdausmann

PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:49 pm

yes but, no but, when you select the youtube preset, the render settings options menu no longer shows the 'render subtitles' option. I have tried going to 'custom', setting render subtitles to on... and then selecting youtube but it doesn't work

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 1:57 am

When u select presets, Resolve loads those presets. Is not supposed to retain some of the old settings and just load some of the preset.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Scotty in NZ

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:07 am

In the DELIVER screen mode:

1) Scroll to the bottom of your 'render' options.
2) Click 'Subtitle Settings' which will open additional options.
3) Tick the 'Export Subtitle' box
4) Under FORMAT, open the drop-down menu and choose the "Burn into video" option.

ScreenHunter 792.jpg
Subtitle render settings
ScreenHunter 792.jpg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 77441 times

Add to render queue then start the render.
Subtitles will now be embedded within your video.

DynamicFred

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 pm

I don't want to embed the subtitle. Instead I want it as a separate file. But the subtitle file is not being generated as a separate file even though Format > As a separate file is selected. Also selected is "Export as SRT" and Include the following track is checked.

marcusfrewinridley

PostFri Oct 02, 2020 1:49 pm

DynamicFred wrote:I don't want to embed the subtitle. Instead I want it as a separate file. But the subtitle file is not being generated as a separate file even though Format > As a separate file is selected. Also selected is "Export as SRT" and Include the following track is checked.

Did you solve this? I have a similar issue in that I am getting a sepearte SRT file but then it is blank / doesn't show up when selected in VLC or WIndows 10 default Film & TV player.

How do I make this SRT file work or check that it will work on video hosting??

Adrbtm

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 2:46 pm

I had this issue. Tried all variations in the render but no .srt files were appearing.

Solution:
File>Export Subtitles...

This will keep the whatever timecodes you currently have set.

Simple solution that I wish I had looked for earlier.

giobar

PostMon May 01, 2023 11:48 am

Same problem: it appears that if you select the YouTube preset, there is no "export subtitles" option, while if you select a custom mode, you have the subtitle section, but you are not sure whether your export will be optimized for YouTube. Perhaps not; in fact I used a custom setting, with subtitles enabled, and "burn into video" option selected, but the quality of the video on YouTube is rather mediocre, both in resolution, and in smoothness: it's rather swinging, as if there was some problem in adapting the frame rate. Original footage: 60 fps, 4K; YouTube video: 24 fps, full HD.
You can see for yourself:

Hberkrider

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 12:34 pm

So after reading this and trying to solve my issue for two days I'm still stuck. Titles of all kinds simply will not render. I've changed my settings to everything imaginable including burn to video and still. Nothing.

I'm using Davinci Resolve 18.6 free

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core

Processor 3.70 GHz

hopefully that info helps as I am a novice in computer stuff.

Return to DaVinci Resolve