Audio monitoring issues (Fairlight patching?)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

unkofilms

Audio monitoring issues (Fairlight patching?)

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Recently I am having trouble playing back audio in Davinci Resolve on my Windows 7 system with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB sound hardware. The meters are showing and moving fine but no audio coming out of my speakers.

Note that this is a different issue from the usual sample rate mismatch between windows sound hardware setting and Resolve project setting. I have opened up Control Panel -> Sound -> Line Out (Scarlett 2i2 Default Device) -> Advanced tab -> set to 48KHz. Previously this has worked but I think from Resolve 16 beta onwards something has changed.

After a lot of investigation and trial and error, I went into audio patching in the Fairlight menu, and changed the sources patched to my output from Control Room to Main Out 1-L and 1-R. I now can play back audio fine.

The problem is that I have to do this every time I open Resolve, and every time I open a sequence. This is obviously not expected behaviour and something must be wrong with the default 'Control Room' source as I cannot monitor anything from it.

I have tried this on Resolve 16b5, Resolve 16b7 and the newest version Resolve 16.1b1.

Have I done something wrong? Any suggestions on what to do so that I don't have to reopen the patching settings multiple times every day would be very much appreciated.

Daz Wood

Re: Audio monitoring issues (Fairlight patching?)

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 3:35 pm

It could be that you are running Davinci on Windows 7 as its not made for that OS.

Have you updated your Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio driver to make sure its not that?
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

unkofilms

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 12:44 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 10 next chance I get but definitely too risky right now at the end of a major project.

Yes the driver has been updated and gave different versions a try.

What's strange is that I am getting sound from Resolve fine (which I think rules out Windows and the driver) but it requires re-patching inputs and outputs every launch. So that signals something wrong within Resolve. I've deleted my settings within the Programdata folder and tried to start again but no improvement.

Daz Wood

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 12:55 pm

unkofilms wrote:Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 10 next chance I get but definitely too risky right now at the end of a major project.

Yes the driver has been updated and gave different versions a try.

What's strange is that I am getting sound from Resolve fine (which I think rules out Windows and the driver) but it requires re-patching inputs and outputs every launch. So that signals something wrong within Resolve. I've deleted my settings within the Programdata folder and tried to start again but no improvement.

I think you will be fine once you go Windows 10
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Return to DaVinci Resolve