Track Level Nodes Option

• Author

lulumastering

Track Level Nodes Option

PostSun Apr 09, 2023 6:11 am

Many of us need a way to disable Timeline Nodes on specific clips. It seems to me that the easiest solution to this would be to add "Track" (used by clip), or "Track V#" to the drop-down menu.

Track.jpg
Track Option
Track.jpg (75.48 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Track-Vnum.jpg
Track Selection Option
Track-Vnum.jpg (79.47 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5
Apple Mac Pro Rack 2019, Mac OS Monterey 12.7
2.7GHz 24 Core, 192GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32GB, SSD

Jim Simon

Re: Track Level Nodes Option

PostSun Apr 09, 2023 2:38 pm

I think there are two better ways to do it.

1. An option (off by default) in Preferences>User>Color to have Titles and Generators ignore Timeline nodes.

2. An entry in the right click context menu for the clips' thumbnails.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

aaronvandomelen

PostSun Apr 09, 2023 9:04 pm

An option for track level effects I think could get messy. Especially late in a project.

I would rather see a way for clips to ignore timeline effects like Jim said. Could be a clip level toggle or a Global setting for timeline effects to skip over titles and generators.

>IE Right click on any clip>Ignore Timeline Colour Effects & Nodes.. or something similar.

I would also love to see the ability have parent and child groups in the grouping tools. Like all broll has a look, but then broll scenes have different looks scene to scene. In a doc project, you could place all a roll clips into a look group for the whole film, while also placing each interview into their own subgroup for tuning just their interview themselves. This can be accomplished when using multicams, essentially, but still would be nice.
current config = iMac 2019 (19,1), 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM ,Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB, Mac OSX 10.15.3

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 6:56 am

It's possible (and not that hard at all) to KEYFRAME any nodes you've created on the Timeline level. I generally only use it for letterbox blanking, but you could put damned near anything in there if you really wanted to. Takes just a couple of seconds to do: mark in a static keyframe where you want the nodes to start, make the adjustment, go to where you want the nodes to stop, mark in another static keyframe, and reset the nodes. Takes longer to describe than to actually do.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

lulumastering

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 9:06 am

Marc Wielage wrote:It's possible (and not that hard at all) to KEYFRAME any nodes you've created on the Timeline level. I generally only use it for letterbox blanking, but you could put damned near anything in there if you really wanted to. Takes just a couple of seconds to do: mark in a static keyframe where you want the nodes to start, make the adjustment, go to where you want the nodes to stop, mark in another static keyframe, and reset the nodes. Takes longer to describe than to actually do.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know of any good tutorials that show this step by step?

Thanks!
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5
Apple Mac Pro Rack 2019, Mac OS Monterey 12.7
2.7GHz 24 Core, 192GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 32GB, SSD

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 11:22 am

lulumastering wrote:Would you (or anyone else) happen to know of any good tutorials that show this step by step?

No, but it's literally the same as keyframing the regular Clip level. You do have to have at least one node visible (even an empty node) in the Timeline level, then enter a Static Keyframe (with "All" selected), change what you need to change, go to the end of the clip, then enter another Static Keyframe, and turn the node off or take Key Output Level down to 0 (which effectively turns it off).

Allucinari

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 4:57 pm

Just wanted to add to the voices requesting a simple "ignore timeline grade" effect you can add to a clip that makes it ignore the timeline node. It's not just titles, it's graphics, temp footage, stock footage, VFX or anything that wasn't shot with the original footage. Adjustment layers are an option but if editing that adjustment layer keeps getting cut up and in the way. Also you might just need one or two clips to skip the timeline grade which makes it tough to justify having an adjustment.

Depardieu

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Please count my vote in support of this proposal.
I may have only around 15 clips at a time, but one simple switch could save so much time.

This is my photo I received from from myself in the future, Davinci Resolve version 42 still doesn't have it.

size774-40af-8378-420a80f8a_b3406983-7e9e-4a5b-aeef-3263e87cb27e copy.png
size774-40af-8378-420a80f8a_b3406983-7e9e-4a5b-aeef-3263e87cb27e copy.png (636.48 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:50 am

Allucinari wrote:Just wanted to add to the voices requesting a simple "ignore timeline grade" effect you can add to a clip that makes it ignore the timeline node. It's not just titles, it's graphics, temp footage, stock footage, VFX or anything that wasn't shot with the original footage.

There's a lot of reasons I tell our students not to use a Timeline node for color -- for the very reasons you cite. There's about 5 other ways to do it that are far less trouble and less risky. I concede that there are situations where a Timeline grade (or at least one node) is necessary. But I think Pre-Clip Group Grades, Post-Clip Group Grades, and very carefully organized Fixed Node Trees (at the Clip level) are far, far better, more direct, and 100% reliable.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests