Auto Grouping By Video Content for Color Grading

• Author

modoneer

Auto Grouping By Video Content for Color Grading

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 am

The goal of this feature request is mainly for grading documentaries.

I recently graded a series of documentaries and found myself spending most of my time searching similar clips scattered among 6 episodes to group them (in Lightbox) than on color correction. I know there is remote version useful for this kind of work, but remote version does not work for clips generated from scene detect in timeline. In the project I involve, each episode is one ProRes .mov file, due to reduction of file transmission for remote work.

Actually for this type of work, whether clips aligned in sequential just as timeline is not essential. It's more important for me to have a easy way checking footage with similar content (same interviewee, same layout, same scene) and make sure they all look constant.

Seeing what Strada can do during NAB 2024, I strongly believe that it's reasonable to expect similar feature in Resolve. It would be great:

1. Analyze each clip in timeline (even they're generate by scene detect) instead of clips in media pool to generate metadata. Only part of footage seen by audience needs to be analyzed (and can be reanalyzed after edit change).

2. Auto-grouping clips with similar content (layout, interviewee, object, .etc). User can remove clips not applicable from group afterward.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Simon

Re: Auto Grouping By Video Content for Color Grading

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 pm

I can't help but think of some alternatives.

1. For Color work, use the originals. Shipping a drive isn't that pricey if bandwidth won't support.

2. BMD should code Remote Grades to work with Scene Detect clips.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rNeil H

Re: Auto Grouping By Video Content for Color Grading

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

Unless the clips were pretty close to begin with I would expect the grading process of cutting up a mixed mess would be time consuming and incredibly difficult to pull off.

Even having an XML or EDL of the timeline might help "cutting " the individual clips.and grouping them. But the amount of matching before artifacts might be very limited.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests