Copy & Paste of Clips between Timelines

• Author

JeffreyWalther

Copy & Paste of Clips between Timelines

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Hello BMD,

I am really angry about this current behaviour in DR16:
If you copy a clip from a certain track, you cannot paste it onto another track other then the one you copied it via CTRL+C and and CTRL+V.

This happens for two timelines.
At the moment, I am not able to copy clips from track 1 of timeline A and paste it in track 3 (active track) of timeline B. This is hard to understand.

Please change it that way:
Copy clips from any track number and paste it to any other track number, at the position of the playhead.
Thanks.

Jeff
Last edited by JeffreyWalther on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

Re: Copy & Paste of Clips oder Timelines

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 6:18 pm

You control the Paste tracks with Auto Select.

Tom Early

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Yeah it's pretty simple. Always best to enquire about things (often from the manual) before jumping to conclusions that things can't be done or aren't working correctly.
MBP2016, MacOS 10.14.5, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3,
Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB, Resolve Studio 16.1.0B.033

JeffreyWalther

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Tom Early wrote:Yeah it's pretty simple. Always best to enquire about things (often from the manual) before jumping to conclusions that things can't be done or aren't working correctly.

I like your arrogant and ignorant writing, please continue. :roll:

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 3:06 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:arrogant and ignorant writing

Why do people do that, get offended by the messenger and completely miss the message?

Seems counter-productive.

JeffreyWalther

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

Why do people do that, get offended by the messenger and completely miss the message?

Because they did not read well and did not see the entire problem:
If I paste one clip from a timeline to another, the clip is pasted somewhere else, but never at the playhead. This makes no sense at all.

Switching the auto select buttons on or off DO NOT solve this issue.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:49 pm

That's not my experience: do you have an in point active?
Last edited by waltervolpatto on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x GTX 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K
Window10 - BMR St. 16.1.0B.025
nvidia: 430.86 studio

John Paines

Re: Copy & Paste of Clips between Timelines

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 pm

*My* ignorant and arrogant take is, you must have an 'in' or 'out' point somewhere on the timeline, because I can paste wherever I want, at any selected playhead position.

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 2:08 am

JeffreyWalther wrote:If I paste one clip from a timeline to another, the clip is pasted somewhere else, but never at the playhead.

That was not made clear in the original post. Your main point was that it wasn't pasting on the desired track. The last little tag of "at the position of the playhead" wasn't enough to suggest pasting in a different location was also part of the problem.

But even if we agreed that you posted enough for us to understand the entire problem, it's still solvable with the current capabilities, so the suggestion to read the manual still applies, I think.

Your 'offense' was unwarranted.

JeffreyWalther

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 pm

And again I am confronted with ignorant answers.

Referring to the manual all the time, because of a common function like Copy&Paste, is an impertinence. Of course, as a user I can expect the copy&paste to work the same way as in any other application. And this does not only apply to NLEs. It is always inserted where the cursor is and Resolve makes an exception for some reason, which is very annoying! :evil:

Tom Early

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 pm

JeffreyWalther wrote:And again I am confronted with ignorant answers.

Referring to the manual all the time, because of a common function like Copy&Paste, is an impertinence. Of course, as a user I can expect the copy&paste to work the same way as in any other application. And this does not only apply to NLEs. It is always inserted where the cursor is and Resolve makes an exception for some reason, which is very annoying! :evil:

which means it's a bug with your system, not a missing feature (or else you're just doing it wrong). This feature works exactly the way I would expect it to on the many systems I have used Resolve on, which is the same way it works on the many NLEs I have used over the years (ok they activate tracks in some different ways but that's just a matter of learning the nuances between different software). Where's my ignorance now?

JeffreyWalther wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:

Because they did not read well and did not see the entire problem:
If I paste one clip from a timeline to another, the clip is pasted somewhere else, but never at the playhead. This makes no sense at all.

You didn't explain the entire problem so how am I supposed to read it? You didn't even spell the thread title correctly.

JeffreyWalther

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 pm

This year, I have finished:
4x feature movies
31x high end music videos
2x documentaries

Edited and color graded in DaVinci Resolve.
That is approx. 600 hours of final and payed edit from January until now.

I do have plenty of experience in Resolve.
But the copy & "wild" paste issue is somethine, that seems to be an incorrect implemented thing.
No matter if auto select is switched on or not.... if I paste the clip, it has to be at the playhead, neither at the beginning nor somewhehre 3h later in the timeline. And this sucks. I came across this issue the first time because of a second timeline with some candy shots that have to be implemented in the first timeline.

So this is still a feature request, because the current stuff is not working as expected.

Tom Early

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 pm

You should read the bottom of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

which basically says how you should state full system specs and give the devs as much info as possible on the step-by-step procedure for recreating the bug/problem you are experiencing, with a video if need be, so that they can recreate it, because if they cannot see the problem their end (just as myself and others on this thread cannot on our systems), then it will never be addressed. Is it just on 16 that this has happened, or previous versions too?

Peter Cave

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 am

JeffreyWalther wrote:This year, I have finished:
4x feature movies
31x high end music videos
2x documentaries

Edited and color graded in DaVinci Resolve.
That is approx. 600 hours of final and payed edit from January until now.

I do have plenty of experience in Resolve.
But the copy & "wild" paste issue is somethine, that seems to be an incorrect implemented thing.
No matter if auto select is switched on or not.... if I paste the clip, it has to be at the playhead, neither at the beginning nor somewhehre 3h later in the timeline. And this sucks. I came across this issue the first time because of a second timeline with some candy shots that have to be implemented in the first timeline.

So this is still a feature request, because the current stuff is not working as expected.

No need for a feature request as it is working for everyone except you. I suggest you do a screen recording of the issue so we can see if you have any in or out marks on the destination timeline. You have not answered previous posts asking this question.

P.S. Calling other forum users arrogant & ignorant is not the best way to encourage other users to help you, and we ARE here to help.
Resolve 16.0
Mac OSX 10.13.6
Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests