Deliver Page: "Relative" output Resolution settings

• Author

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 am

I would love it if one of the "Resolution" options in the Deliver Page output settings were a "relative" percentage setting, instead of just hardcoded resolutions.

For example, if I had a collection of large R3D files of varying aspect-ratios that I want to transcode for offline proxies, I don't want to have to do the math to figure out how to make a 1/4 resolution proxy of a 6144x3160 R3D file. And I doubly don't want to have to manually setup multiple Render Queue settings for different sets of files with different aspect ratios.

I just want to be able transcode everything in the Media Pool--regardless of their source aspect ratio--and output ProRes Proxy files that are 1/2, 1/4, 1/3 etc. the resolution of the original source media. To me, having a "% of source" render option would make this sort of workflow super easy, and much less prone to human error when trying to make low-res proxies that matches the aspect ratio of the original media, without any letter boxing, cropping or squeezing. REDCINE-X has a similar option, which is where the inspiration for my idea came from.

It would be even better if this feature would allow you to set a constraint on the vertical or horizontal resolution of your choosing, so for example, you can tell Resolve to transcode everything to a vertical resolution of 1080, and then Resolve would automatically do the math and set the horizontal resolution appropriately to match the original aspect ratio without any image cropping.
Last edited by Mel Matsuoka on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mel Matsuoka

Re: Deliver Page: "Relative" output Resolution settings

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Can I get an "Amen" to this?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Optimized Media already does what you're asking.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Optimized Media already does what you're asking.

Again, for the 1000th time, Jim, please read and try to understand my original post.

I’m not talking about Optimized Media.

I’m talking about the Delivery page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kinvermark

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 7:29 pm

I think Jim's point is that optimized media (basically) are proxies. Unless you need to use proxies external to Resolve or produce a proxy format not listed.

For me this is getting into the "bloatware" danger zone. Rather see effort in other places.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 10:14 pm

kinvermark wrote:I think Jim's point is that optimized media (basically) are proxies. Unless you need to use proxies external to Resolve or produce a proxy format not listed.

This is exactly the purpose for which I’m speaking.

And I don’t see how adding a simple preset rule constitutes “bloatware”. It wouldn’t be doing anything different than it already does, except that the preset would automatically do the downscaling math for you.

As Jim mentioned, the Create Optimized Media function already does this, so there would be nothing to “bloat” by adding it as a preset option in the Deliver page Resolution pulldown menu.

Resolve is widely used solely as a stand-alone transcoding tool for offline editorial, so having it as an option makes perfect sense.

kinvermark

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 am

Resolve is widely used solely as a stand-alone transcoding tool for offline editorial, so having it as an option makes perfect sense.

Yes, Resolve is a fantastic tool for this - very fast renders - and I have had a lot more success "pushing" graded clips (dailies style workflow?) into another NLE than using XML roundtrip.

Ok, this idea makes more sense to me now. Last thing you want to do is waste a ton of time transcoding a large bunch of clips to the wrong resolution / aspect ratio.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Mel Matsuoka

PostSun Nov 03, 2019 2:00 am

kinvermark wrote:Ok, this idea makes more sense to me now. Last thing you want to do is waste a ton of time transcoding a large bunch of clips to the wrong resolution / aspect ratio.

As “the guy” who often has to deal with conforming keyframed transforms and whatnot that offline editors hand to me for grading and finishing, this is why I’m so horny for this feature. I usually stick pins into a voodoo doll bearing the likeness of the editors who do those things on incorrectly transcoded proxies (eg withbbaked in letterboxes etc)

And a lot of the time there simply is no time to redo the proxies, because more often than not, we get camera footage at 8:00pm at night, and have to generate all the proxies for client supervised offline sessions first thing the following morning. Any way to minimize human error with these types of workflows is worth implementing, given the fact that computers are pretty good at performing mathematical operations for humans.

Jim Simon

Re: Deliver Page:

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 am

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I’m not talking about Optimized Media.

I know. You're looking to create proxies via Deliver.

I'm saying you don't need to do that. Optimized Media will get the job done, and already has this feature.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

Deliver Page:

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 12:17 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote:I’m not talking about Optimized Media.

I know. You're looking to create proxies via Deliver.

I'm saying you don't need to do that. Optimized Media will get the job done, and already has this feature.

Jim, please explain to me how Resolve’s “Optimized Media” option helps someone who needs to edit with proxies in Premiere Pro or Avid?

And even if they were editing in Resolve, anyone who has used “Optimized Media” in a shared environment, where you don’t want to be playing thousands of .dvcc files over the network all the time, and/or isn’t working with a shared Postgres project database (which makes Optimized Media impossible to "rediscover" if the .drp file is opened on another computer) knows that Optimized Media is a complete pain in the ass that causes more work than is necessary.

Jerome Thelia

PostThu May 28, 2020 4:04 am

Amen Mel! It is really perplexing that such an obvious and useful feature already available in making 'optimized media' is not available in the media manager. And this is doubly true when working with anamorphic footage further complicates resolution issues in proxies.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Jim, please explain to me how Resolve’s “Optimized Media” option helps someone who needs to edit with proxies in Premiere Pro or Avid?

In that situation, you give them the full quality versions and they create their own proxies. Premiere Pro in particular has an excellent proxy process.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu May 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote:Jim, please explain to me how Resolve’s “Optimized Media” option helps someone who needs to edit with proxies in Premiere Pro or Avid?

In that situation, you give them the full quality versions and they create their own proxies. Premiere Pro in particular has an excellent proxy process.

Jim, get a grip, please.

AndrewKeil

PostFri May 29, 2020 10:40 am

The biggest flaw in relying on Optimised Media is that it disappears into the black hole that is the Resolve cache.

I create proxies in Adobe Media Encoder for precisely this reason, because then I can at least look at a folder that shows each proxy clip with it's actual name. This is so much more practical when you have to shuffle files around.

Also Optimising media can't be executed as a background task.

Perhaps I'm wrong and haven't been using Optimise Media properly, but for me it's completely impractical to deal with an awful lot of .dvcc files that aren't named in any coherent way, when a simple change source folder when you're ready to start working with the original files will do.

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 8:58 pm

AndrewKeil wrote:The biggest flaw in relying on Optimised Media is that it disappears into the black hole that is the Resolve cache.

I create proxies in Adobe Media Encoder for precisely this reason, because then I can at least look at a folder that shows each proxy clip with it's actual name. This is so much more practical when you have to shuffle files around.

Also Optimising media can't be executed as a background task.

Perhaps I'm wrong and haven't been using Optimise Media properly, but for me it's completely impractical to deal with an awful lot of .dvcc files that aren't named in any coherent way, when a simple change source folder when you're ready to start working with the original files will do.

Optimized Media is a great idea that is poorly implemented, and I agree with all your points. However, Optimized Media has nothing to do with this particular feature request, since OM is only intended for use by a single user on a single system. Another poster derailed the thread by turning it into a discussion about Optimized Media, but this is solely a Deliver Page request.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests