Stickies

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Stickies

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 pm

There are certain changes that editors can make to the user interface, tools, dialogs, etc. that just don't 'stick'. We have to change these things every time the dialog opens, or for every new project, or every time we restart Resolve.

This thread is for posting which items really annoy us because we have to keep changing them, which items we wish would stay the way we set them up until we change them again.

I'll start.

1. Clips on the Deliver page. I don't want 'em, ever. But I have to turn them off every time I restart Resolve.

2. Advanced Settings under Video on the Deliver page. I do want these, every time. Yet I have to open them up every time I restart Resolve.

3. Qualifier on the Color page. I very rarely use it, so I have to turn it Off every time I open a new project.

4. Timeline View Options on the Edit page. I'd love to set this up just once, and have every timeline in every project for every database use those Options by default.

5. Normalize Audio Level dialog. I always use A/85 for my projects. I'd love for the dialog to remember the last used setting. This 'memory' would persist across all projects in all databases.

6. New Multicam Clip. I always use the same settings here, as well, and would love for this one to also remember those settings across all projects and databases so that I only have to set them up once.

7. Loudness Metering preset, Fairlight page. (Accessed from the three dot menu for the Loudness Meter.) Like I said, I always use A/85, so I'd love for this to stick across all projects and databases until I change it.



What about you guys? Anyone else have anything they wish would stick, so we set them up only once?
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 7184
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Stickies

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 3:01 am

Can you setup the machine as you like and save a workspace- layout preset and see If that helps?
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K (11.4)
W10-1903 - BMR St. 16.1.1.005
nvidia: 431.86 studio
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 3:37 am

No, that won't help with any of the mentioned issues. These are things BMD has to change in the progamming.
Offline

BenSchranz

  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 pm
  • Real Name: Ben Schranz

Re: Stickies

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There are certain changes that editors can make to the user interface, tools, dialogs, etc. that just don't 'stick'. We have to change these things every time the dialog opens, or for every new project, or every time we restart Resolve.

This thread is for posting which items really annoy us because we have to keep changing them, which items we wish would stay the way we set them up until we change them again.

I'll start.

1. Clips on the Deliver page. I don't want 'em, ever. But I have to turn them off every time I restart Resolve.

2. Advanced Settings under Video on the Deliver page. I do want these, every time. Yet I have to open them up every time I restart Resolve.

3. Qualifier on the Color page. I very rarely use it, so I have to turn it Off every time I open a new project.

4. Timeline View Options on the Edit page. I'd love to set this up just once, and have every timeline in every project for every database use those Options by default.

5. Normalize Audio Level dialog. I always use A/85 for my projects. I'd love for the dialog to remember the last used setting. This 'memory' would persist across all projects in all databases.

6. New Multicam Clip. I always use the same settings here, as well, and would love for this one to also remember those settings across all projects and databases so that I only have to set them up once.

7. Loudness Metering preset, Fairlight page. (Accessed from the three dot menu for the Loudness Meter.) Like I said, I always use A/85, so I'd love for this to stick across all projects and databases until I change it.



What about you guys? Anyone else have anything they wish would stick, so we set them up only once?


1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

5-7. Meh

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 4:10 pm

BenSchranz wrote:5-7. Meh


I'll take as many of these as BMD wants to give me.
Offline

BenSchranz

  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 pm
  • Real Name: Ben Schranz

Re: Stickies

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
BenSchranz wrote:5-7. Meh


I'll take as many of these as BMD wants to give me.
Yes it would be nice haha.
Offline

Reynaud Venter

  • Posts: 1321
  • Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Stickies

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 am

Jim Simon wrote:7. Loudness Metering preset, Fairlight page. (Accessed from the three dot menu for the Loudness Meter.) Like I said, I always use A/85, so I'd love for this to stick across all projects and databases until I change it.
Always use EBU R128 here, and Resolve retains this setting between application restarts on my systems.
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Resolve retains this setting between application restarts


Does it do so for new projects? In a different database?
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 6155
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: Stickies

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Can you setup the machine as you like and save a workspace- layout preset and see If that helps?

What I do is save these in an empty session which I call a "Template." That way, all of these specific project-wide settings are intact with a specific project. When I need to start a similar project, I just open a template, save it under the new session name, then bring in the media and start working.

I do agree that more attention should me made to Resolve's state for different settings: for example, if you turn Live Preview off and save the session, it should stay off the next time that project is opened. At the moment, it turns back on, which I believe is an inconvenience and a design flaw. (I get that this is subjective.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline

Reynaud Venter

  • Posts: 1321
  • Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Stickies

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:13 am

Jim Simon wrote:Does it do so for new projects? In a different database?
Resolve always defaults to the first item in the Loudness Meter's Additional Options listing (i.e. BS.1770-1).

Setting the Loudness Metering preference once will apply across all current and newly created Projects within that same Database.
Offline

Vit Reiter

  • Posts: 435
  • Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: Stickies

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 4:23 pm

1. Yes!
It has no logic to open by default. On the contrary, it must remember the last user settings as on other pages.

2. No.
It has logic to open by default.

3. No commnets.

4. Yes.
Maybe it has logic to be open by default but Yes. :) It'll be more practical.

5. No.

6. No commnets.

7. No.

I add

8. On Edit Page remember open/hide section Cropping, Dynamic Zoom, Stabilization, etc., pls!
It must remember the last user settings.
DaVinci Resolve and Fusion 16.1.1 Studio
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700 Graphics, 64GB RAM
iMac 2017, Radeon Pro 575 Graphics, 24GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Setting the Loudness Metering preference once will apply across all current and newly created Projects within that same Database.


Really?

I'm constantly changing it here.
Offline

Dennis Fassbaender

  • Posts: 89
  • Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Re: Stickies

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Is it possible to save the actual working-folder with the Resolve project?
So when opening a project, and then jump to the mediapage the last opened folder will be opened automaticly.
Actually we need to navigate to our project-folder each time we restart Resolve.
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Dennis Fassbaender wrote:we need to navigate to our project-folder each time we restart Resolve.


For now, you can set up Favorites.
Offline

casterle

  • Posts: 94
  • Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:15 am
  • Real Name: LEROY CASTERLINE

Re: Stickies

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 5:03 pm

It seems whenever I open the Fairlight page inspector, all of the items contained within are expanded. This is OK if there's only one or two, but if there are several it's a pain!

I propose that items in the Inspector retain their state, and that the initial state be open when the item is added.
Windows 10 Pro, i7 3930K, 32GB, GTX-740Ti, Dual monitors, XP-Pen Deco 03, Behringer X-Touch Mini
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 pm

"Addressed an issue where the new multicam dialog would not remember last used settings"

Ooooh, looks like my item 6 has been granted in the new 16.1b2.
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:26 pm

"Addressed an issue where the normalize audio levels dialog would not remember last used settings"

Item 5, also. Sweet!
Offline

Robin Davies-Rollinson

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: Stickies

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Is there any way that I can increase the brightness of the text on the workspace? I like the dark grey background, but I wish the lettering could have more contrast...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 4456
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Stickies

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 12:26 am

That doesn't seem at all related to this thread, Robin. You should probably start a new one for that request.
Offline
User avatar

Pedro Dias

  • Posts: 101
  • Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:46 am
  • Location: Norway

Re: Stickies

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Make cache settings sticky please. I can't get anything done without "Smart" cache enabled
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Offline

John Holt

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 pm
  • Real Name: John Holt

Re: Stickies

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 pm

0O6dVqg8Bk.png
0O6dVqg8Bk.png (44.5 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Pedro Dias wrote:Make cache settings sticky please. I can't get anything done without "Smart" cache enabled

Hi. You can make some changes in the project settings to achieve this.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Steven Johnson and 12 guests