Fusion transition

• Author

qnstie

Fusion transition

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Bottom line: We need a dedicated Fusion Transition type in Resolve!

I cannot understand why there is no way to create decent and reusable Fusion transitions in DVR.

Fusion is awesome and many Fusion transition effects people create are mind-blowing. But generally they cannot be reused in a decent way, because the only decently reusable way (starting from 16.1 BTW) is to put an adjustment layer (acting as a transition) in the power bin.

This works great, but the adjustment layer cannot be used for any great transition, because it does not allow having two inputs in Fusion, but only a single one.

This cripples the whole effect, forcing the transition designer to mask the (potentially) sharp gap between the clips with some motion blur, fade effects etc. So for instance it is not possible to design anything as simple as cross-dissolve in that way.

Another way to define a transition (commonly used with DVR 15) is to create a fusion script which is then applied to a fusion clip created from two cut and merged clips, on which a graph from .settings file is pasted and the inputs and output are replaced manually. This is a nightmare to maintain though (regardless of what the designers say about it, advertising their work). So this way allows to define great transitions, but it is complex to use, not really reusable and does not survive many desired modifications of the timeline.

All this would be unnecessary if DVR allowed to define a Fusion Transition type (maybe in a way similar to how the adjustment layer is defined), which would take not one, but two inputs (in the same way the built-in or OFX transition does) and produce a single output, and the "body" of the transition would be defined as a Fusion "script". Simple, but very powerful.

Dear Black Magic Design, please implement that!

Kenzo

Re: Fusion transition

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 2:47 pm

I think it's a great idea ;)

+1
Eryk Rogozinski
www.art-fx.eu

ritch1337

PostFri Oct 11, 2019 2:51 pm

qnstie wrote:Bottom line: We need a dedicated Fusion Transition type in Resolve!

I cannot understand why there is no way to create decent and reusable Fusion transitions in DVR.

Fusion is awesome and many Fusion transition effects people create are mind-blowing. But generally they cannot be reused in a decent way, because the only decently reusable way (starting from 16.1 BTW) is to put an adjustment layer (acting as a transition) in the power bin.

This works great, but the adjustment layer cannot be used for any great transition, because it does not allow having two inputs in Fusion, but only a single one.

This cripples the whole effect, forcing the transition designer to mask the (potentially) sharp gap between the clips with some motion blur, fade effects etc. So for instance it is not possible to design anything as simple as cross-dissolve in that way.

Another way to define a transition (commonly used with DVR 15) is to create a fusion script which is then applied to a fusion clip created from two cut and merged clips, on which a graph from .settings file is pasted and the inputs and output are replaced manually. This is a nightmare to maintain though (regardless of what the designers say about it, advertising their work). So this way allows to define great transitions, but it is complex to use, not really reusable and does not survive many desired modifications of the timeline.

All this would be unnecessary if DVR allowed to define a Fusion Transition type (maybe in a way similar to how the adjustment layer is defined), which would take not one, but two inputs (in the same way the built-in or OFX transition does) and produce a single output, and the "body" of the transition would be defined as a Fusion "script". Simple, but very powerful.

Dear Black Magic Design, please implement that!
+1

Odesláno z mého CLT-L29 pomocí Tapatalk
Radek Richter
CEO of the rvisual s.r.o.

Windows 10 Pro

- i9-10980XE (18 cores)
- 2x RTX 2080 Ti (24GB in total)
- 128 GB of ram

kalpox

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Before adding this feature I would fix the bug when you send a Fusion composition into a Power bin. Every time I try to reuse a composition I get "Media offline", red texts in Fusion nodes and it's completely wasted unless I re-send the Fusion from the previous project. Waste of time, like many other things.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18, Windows 10, GeForce RTX 2060SUPER 8GB, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 7 2700X

Asit Jain

PostTue May 12, 2020 7:28 am

+1

That will make my life so easy.
- Asit

Tom Early

PostTue May 12, 2020 7:46 am

Asit Jain wrote:+1

it already exists as of 16.2, look in the effects library in the Edit page. There's nothing in the manual about how to create your own, but if you go to Help/Documentation/Developer, there's a ReadMe file with some info.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

xunile

PostTue May 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Asit Jain wrote:+1

I made a video explaining how to create the new Fusion Transitions in Resolve 16.2

Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Asit Jain

PostThu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Tom Early wrote:it already exists as of 16.2, look in the effects library in the Edit page. There's nothing in the manual about how to create your own, but if you go to Help/Documentation/Developer, there's a ReadMe file with some info.

Thanks Tom and xunile, That indeed has made my life easy. :)
- Asit

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests